How Does a Person Living Alone Make it Look Otherwise?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

How Does a Person Living Alone Make it Look Otherwise?

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:55 am

I’ve got a different type of question to ask, and the inspiration for this one comes from my father, who lives alone, but is quite self-sufficient- even well into his 90’s.

The question is this. What could he do without spending a lot of money to make it appear like his house has, say, a family of 4-5 people living there? This is all for privacy reasons. When he’s gone, an unscrupulous neighbor could realize the home could be burglarized. Even though he has an alarm, it could be a while before the police show up.

I did think about getting a couple extra vehicles, parking them there and moving them around every day or so. If the cars were too cheap, they’d leak oil and the HOA might insist on them being garaged, which would defeat the purpose.

I wasn’t ever sure what keywords to use in a Youtube search...

Other thoughts?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How Does a Person Living Alone Make it Look Otherwise?

Postby hirbonzig » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:58 am

In the evening have lights on in multiple rooms and on a timer when not home. Another thing I thought of was to have many different types of clothes drying out on a clothes line, but highly doubt a hoa will allow one.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:15 am

You could put a swng set up, bike in the front yard, get an old mini van with those stick figure family figures on the back.

Leave the sound on a TV or Youtube loop when he leaves the house.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:39 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:You could put a swng set up, bike in the front yard, get an old mini van with those stick figure family figures on the back.

Leave the sound on a TV or Youtube loop when he leaves the house.

This is a somewhat upscale area with nearly acre sized lots. Neither a swing set or a bike would be tolerated in the front yard. Frankly, it just wouldn't fit in.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:50 am

One thing I did think about, (but it is more expensive) is to have a 3-car or 4-car garage instead of the standard 2-car. After all, how many people living alone have a 3 or 4-car garage?

But that would cost more than what is in the budget. I'm looking for things that could be done for, say, $1,000 to $2,000 or less.

Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:30 am

He can rent out a room. Then its a profit center, not an expense.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:20 am

Since my wife retired we are out traveling a lot...she installed bluetooth timer remotes on many of our lights. She can use the timer or control the lights from her phone when we are gone or even when home.

We also have multiple vehicles in the driveway at all times with current registration.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Lots of shoes / boots / umbrellas visible from entry points & windows... if you look like a family, you got a bunch of stuff- everywhere
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby hobo finds » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Not look, but sound have a radio playing outside in the day time or at night if you are out. Have it playing talk radios it sounds like some one is out in the backyard
hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:49 pm

hobo finds wrote:Not look, but sound have a radio playing outside in the day time or at night if you are out. Have it playing talk radios it sounds like some one is out in the backyard

I do this. Running in my workshop all the the time. But I live at the end of a little horn with no drive by and my neighbors all know me.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 am

Market Harmony wrote:Lots of shoes / boots / umbrellas visible from entry points & windows... if you look like a family, you got a bunch of stuff- everywhere

This sounds like a very interesting idea!

Recyclersteve

Postby NHsorter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Call girls :wave:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm

NHsorter wrote:Call girls :wave:

Hell yeah coming and going day and night. Thats what Im talkin about. :thumbup:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 pm

If you have vehicles parked as the person is no longer driving you need to move them around change parking places and make sure to wash of the dust and dirt as they have not driven in awhile. I would have the call girls rotate the cars when they were there. Lol
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Also if I was 90 and alone and managed to have enough cash call girls would be great. Lol.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Seriously though trash can out every week even if you don't have much recycling can also. Fly the flag if you can put it out each day to at least holidays. Hell when I leave for a trip I fill up the bird feeders.
hobo finds

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:15 am

My wifes grandma had some people from her church move in with her. They didnt want to go to a home a lose independence so they just take care of eachother now. It isnt a huge church, so they kinda knew each other already but they werent friends before they moved in.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am

Another thing I thought of. It doesn’t make you look like you live with a big family, but will make your home look like less of a target for burglary. Specifically I’m referring to something a lot of us scrappers do. That is, keeping a lot of recyclable scraps in the backyard. Broken ceiling fans with blades missing, for instance. If someone took all of it, it would fill several pickup trucks and maybe they’d get a few hundred dollars. They’d make a lot of noise loading everything and would likely give up. Anyone who sees it would likely feel I must be broke to even have it sitting around.

My dad, on the other hand, wouldn’t be caught dead with such a mess on his hands.

Recyclersteve

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About