Is Anyone Refinancing Their Home Right Now?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Is Anyone Refinancing Their Home Right Now?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 am

To take advantage of the super low interest rates that exist right now, is anyone refinancing their home? For some people this should be a virtual no brainer. For others, they need to consider that they could lose their jobs and it might be hard to qualify for a new loan.

Personally, the topic doesn't apply to me as my mortgage is paid off, but I still think it is a topic that people need to consider.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is Anyone Refinancing Their Home Right Now?

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Good advice Steve. I have one small note remaining with an APR of 7.5%. Quickly speaking with just one of my banks it looks as though I can reduce that APR to 4.35%.

Saving 3% a year on a 100K note. Refi cost looks to be about $300 total. Darn no brainer!

My money thanks you, Doc
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm

I'm already at 3.5
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:24 pm

We just did on our FL house... got 3.25
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Good advice Steve. I have one small note remaining with an APR of 7.5%. Quickly speaking with just one of my banks it looks as though I can reduce that APR to 4.35%.

Saving 3% a year on a 100K note. Refi cost looks to be about $300 total. Darn no brainer!

My money thanks you, Doc

Hey, that's my good deed for the day!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 pm

Paid ours off got a new car to replace wifes 2000 ford explorer we bought new. 0 down, 0% interest for 72 months and no payment for 4 months. House was 5.125 % interest and only had to pay off 5k on it. New car about the same payments as we were doing for the house.
hobo finds

Postby chris6084 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 am

I moved at the end of July. Sold a house, bought the new one borrowing about the same I was before. Reduced my payments a couple hundred a month.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About