Currency Devaluation and the Effect on Coins

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Currency Devaluation and the Effect on Coins

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:28 am

This thread is about the effect that currency devaluation has on coins. Let me clarify a few things:

1) I'm not talking about normal 2-3% inflation which slowly erodes purchasing power over time.
2) Also, when I talk about coins I am not referring to 90% silver coins, just stuff that we would normally expect to find in change these days, well, pre-coronavirus anyway.

I thought I read something somewhere about a country which devalued the currency, but at the same time kept purchasing power of the coins from being devalued. Was this Mexico or Zimbabwe or somebody else?

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Let's assume that the U.S. Government said they were creating a new currency. It would be worth twice as much as the old currency. That is, a current $20 bill would be equal to a new $10 bill. Yet, at the same time, $10 in current coins would be worth $10 in the new currency. So there would be an incentive to hoard coins.

If this did in fact happen once or more than once around the world, it could be part of the reason coins are hard to obtain these days. I tried looking on the internet (even with ixquick.com) and was unable to find anything other than war stories about hyperinflation, etc.- not exactly what I was looking for. Can anyone else find anything about this? Are there any links you can share with information?

Thanks in advance.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Currency Devaluation and the Effect on Coins

Postby coppernickel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Makes me grateful to have a few coins, which have intrinsic value separate from their first value. When the currency starts inflating, that we be the time to add extra purchasing by offering nickels to sweeten the deal.

Saw an article on CBS Sunday Morning about a town, Tintino Washington, printing their own scrip on wood. Another step toward a free market economy.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About