Would They Ever Confiscate Indian 1c & Buffalo 5c Coins?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Would They Ever Confiscate Indian 1c & Buffalo 5c Coins?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:54 am

This might sound like a ridiculous topic, but we are living in ridiculous times.

Do you think the government would dare confiscate two coins beloved by many- the Indian Head cent and the Buffalo nickel? Both feature native Americans on the obverse. Some extremists types could maintain that these are "racist" coins.

To those who say "no way" I submit that I thought it was impossible for interest rates (anywhere in the world) to go below zero. I also thought there was absolutely no way oil would go below zero.

I personally don't really think this will happen, but am curious what others on this site think.

P.S. I apologize to anyone who thinks I am trying to stir the pot. I am merely a curious person seeking opinions from others. It would truly be a sad day if any type of confiscation ever occurred.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Would They Ever Confiscate Indian 1c & Buffalo 5c Coins?

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:16 am

Seeing how they are tearing down statues of any statesman that owned slaves, including George Washington, the mob will soon demand that the US dollar bill be eliminated or changed.

As far as your concern about the Indian head penny and the buffalo nickel, the cancel culture is real and quite demanding. I do believe that there has never been any US money instrument being devalued. Since they are not minted anymore, I doubt the mob will demand a "recall". But if they were being currently minted, I can almost believe they would demand the end of producing more.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby coindood » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am

ScrapMetal wrote:Since they are not minted anymore, I doubt the mob will demand a "recall". But if they were being currently minted, I can almost believe they would demand the end of producing more.

Uh oh...

If this becomes a recall issue then those clamouring for it can claim no honest, objective opinion of the subjects depicted. These were and are respectful and celebratory renditions and this ignorant neo-McCarthyist movement and their narrow-minded acolytes can't tell the difference.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 am

This past weekend even Mary's statue was vandalized inside a church. There really are people trying to erase history. There are too many people who have no sacred belief beyond trying control someone else.

I see a time when people who show an Indian Cent or Buffalo Nickel could face a public shaming. Recall, not so much. There are too many of these coins lost to history.

I wear a Stone Mountain Half in a bolo tie and a buckle with a Constitution Dollar and Bill of Rights Half when I dress up.

The concept of Liberty is no longer fashionable, but it is still correct.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:36 am

Coindood, I stand corrected.
But I do believe this "cancel culture" generation is clueless about any events outside their comprehension.
Many have no clue about US coinage or anything of historic significant beyond what they are told to know.
I have seen and heard so many stories that the younger generation have refused Kennedy half dollars as currency as they think it is fake.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Little Johnny was made fun of...
Little Johnny is always being teased by the other neighborhood boys for being stupid. Their favorite joke is to offer Johnny his choice between a nickel and a dime Little Johnny always takes the nickel. One day, after Johnny takes the nickel, a neighbor takes him aside and says, "Johnny, those boys are making fun of you. Don't you know that a dime is worth more than a nickel, even though the nickel's bigger?" Johnny grins and says, "Well, if I took the dime, they'd stop doing it, and so far I've made $20!"
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About