How Much Toilet Paper Do You USE (Not Have)?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

How Much Toilet Paper Do You USE (Not Have)?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:49 am

On thing that occurred to me during the recent COVID-19 situation is this. I am thinking about, say, toilet paper vs. water.

When it comes to water, even if I am thirsty, I could wait a few more hours (in an emergency situation) before grabbing another bottled water. Now, when I need to go to the bathroom, I don't have the luxury of waiting a few hours. So I figured, for me anyway, it is more important to know how many rolls of toilet paper my household (just two of us and a few more when we have company over) consume in an average day.

I know that different brands of rolls have different capacities in square footage and that you have to consider whether 1-ply is acceptable or whether you are a 2-ply family.

That said, I took inventory of all the TP in our house on 3/17/20 and again today. In 70 days we used 37 rolls of TP, so .53 rolls per day. Now, if I look at a large package of TP I have a rough idea how long it should last. Also, in a short-term pinch (power outage due to a severe storm that might last a few days), I know how much TP I can give to friends, family and neighbors.

It was strange looking at a package of TP at the height of the COVID-19 scare and not feeling very sure about how long it would last. Like someone who just dropped a big number two, I feel better now! :)

P.S. What other items can you think of where it would be difficult to figure out how long they would last? I can make some rough calculations and estimates about food, but it might be difficult to know how much cash and silver to keep on hand for emergencies. Ditto perhaps for bullets.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How Much Toilet Paper Do You USE (Not Have)?

Postby hobo finds » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:55 am

hobo finds

Postby pitw » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 am

Lasts a lot longer if ya only use one square per use.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29 pm

Semi-related, it is difficult not to appreciate a soft quilted multi-ply tissue. That type had long been my preference for comfort, but even before I became a prepper my wife had long preferred single ply for economy. As I furthered my prepping and evaluated our capacity to store, I realized that single ply is the most dense packing approach of all TPs. If your storage area is volume limited (as most of us are) - single ply cases will give you more uses per cubic foot. And that is true even if you use twice as much of the single ply to create a faux double ply.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 pm

TP Proxy.jpg
TP Proxy.jpg (336.69 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
TP Proxy.jpg

As I get older I hope and pray that I don’t get the Shinnosuke device confused with a water bottle! :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:01 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:
TP Proxy.jpg

As I get older I hope and pray that I don’t get the Shinnosuke device confused with a water bottle! :)

That's a fair concern. The issue needs more ANALysis.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:28 pm

:lol:
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About