Stolen Items of Yours on eBay

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Stolen Items of Yours on eBay

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:40 pm

First, I want to thank Nate from Copper Cave who has given me some good information behind the scenes.

Secondly, I don’t want to give my hometown or all details for privacy reasons and because I don’t want to tip off a certain seller. (I don’t have any reason to think that person is on this site, but I don’t know for sure.)

All that said, I had coins stolen from a storage locker in my area last year. I gave a hotlist to the police and they recovered a modest amount (6-7%) of what was taken. They arrested someone. A court case is pending, but it could be years before I get the coins back.

I was on eBay very recently and found one of the coins (a PCGS slabbed coin worth less than $1,000) for sale on their site. I reached out to eBay, but their response didn’t say a thing about getting my coin back or about telling me what the seller’s real name/address are. eBay cited their privacy policy. Obviously, I was very disappointed. This should be an open and shut case. The date, grade, serial number on the slab and certification service all matched exactly. There is one coin fitting this description in the world and it was on my hotlist.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with eBay? What were the results? Any special tips you can give me as I pursue this? Thanks in advance.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Stolen Items of Yours on eBay

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:18 am

What do the police say about that one? Or maybe FBI? Seems like eBay would be acting as an accessory to an interstate crime.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 am

Call the cops. Ebay will not help you with this.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 am

As frustrating as it is, eBay can't hand out seller information to an individual or do anything to seize an item from a seller. Anybody could contact eBay and claim that something on the site was stolen from them and fabricate some kind of receipt to "prove" ownership, and eBay would get sued by sellers for handing out personal information. An analogy would be walking into a pawn shop and telling the cashier that a watch in their display case was stolen from your house. They aren't going to give you the watch or tell you who brought it in. The only real chance of recovery is via the police agency handling your case jumping through the hoops of the legal process for recovering stolen property.
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 am

If you want the crooks info. Just buy the coin. Turn it, and the purchase order to the cops. Add a charge of selling stolen property. Then just file a dispute with e-bay or paypal and they will return your money. Just return a box of rocks.

Be a gangsta. It's the only way.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:52 am

Contact the people at http://numismaticcrimes.org/
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the comments from this great community.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Thogey wrote:If you want the crooks info. Just buy the coin. Turn it, and the purchase order to the cops. Add a charge of selling stolen property. Then just file a dispute with e-bay or paypal and they will return your money. Just return a box of rocks.

Be a gangsta. It's the only way.

+1 8-)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About