Our Prep Failures?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Our Prep Failures?

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:32 am

OK so now we all probably have a better picture of where we stand.

My failures.
Never saw the toilet paper thing coming, but am fortunate to have a jumbo pack that normally lasts months. It's a low priority comfort item anyway. A small sliver of humanity has actually felt they need a roll of toilet paper.

The real gooey thing for us as a family is a plan to separate if need be. I'm thinking of a containment plan for the months ahead.

Masks? I totally fell short. I have 5 cheap dust masks.

More hand sanitizer, the good stuff, would be nice. But we're ok.

Hopefully the silver and guns will stay a low priority, in the safe unused.

How bout you?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Our Prep Failures?

Postby justoneguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am

Canned vegetables is where I'm short

Our pantry is actually really good.
In Feb I stocked up on a bunch of seasonings,
Salt, red & black pepper, Tony's, Frank's Salsa Soy sauce etc.
If we wind up having to eat beans & rice, it'll be tasty at least.
My wife just asked for garlic, and Yeah, We got that.
The kids [and community] have all been asking, Where can I get yeast?
I had two brick size packages in the freezer 8 years old, still activates fine!

Also, I had just added 7 liters of 95% alcohol like Everclear diff brand,
that could make hand sanitizer if needed
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:22 pm

So far we have been ok. I have some minor preps and a fairly deep larder. The only thing we really needed to keep normal was a dozen eggs. The store was all sold out Thursday, but a grocery run earlier on Friday landed what we needed.

A case lot sale at the beginning of March helped us stock up on pasta, flour, 25 pounds of rice, and canned fruit.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Maybe, I should have gotten a military uniform??
It might be useful to blend in later??
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:52 pm

If respiratory viruses start rotating around the world on a regular basis (as they seem to have the last 20 years) I'm thinking an O2 monitor and an O2 concentrator (mentioned by someone else in another thread) would be good to have if someone is having trouble but the hospitals are over run.

I am sure we wouldn't pass any future triage decision matrix and if I couldn't get a respirator in a hospital and O2 supplement wasn't enough I would rather die at home. Supplemental O2 might be enough to get you over the crisis in many cases.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:00 pm

The OP is a great question - thanks for bringing it up. Depending on how long this lasts we may find other unanticipated needs showing up later so keep this thread in mind.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:05 am

I failed to buy an oxygen concentrator.

Instead I went to Big Five and bought four bottles of O2 for intense sports recovery. They are ~150 breaths each. With four, its hopefully enough to keep mom alive until the ambulance comes for her.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 pm

I agree that this is a good topic for a post. Keep in mind that some items may be very important to you, but not to the Average Joe. Also, some items can be used WELL PAST the expiration dates. An example of both is aspirin. We bought a bottle of something like 500 tablets way back. Still taking from the same container and using more than 15 years after expiration. It still seems to do the trick.

And then there are condoms. I have ZERO on hand. So I guess that’s a lifetime supply! :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:19 pm

Before the pandemic and shortages started, I was in pretty good shape. I am in pretty good shape on all paper products, hand sanitizer, but canned foods are in somewhat shorter supply than what I would have liked. We have lots of frozen foods on hand. Almost zero beef in our food supply and have been unable to get any with multiple trips to grocery and Sam’s Club. I have zero amp for my guns except some ammo I can’t legally use.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:53 am

Tourney, check craigslist, especially for more rural communities around 100 mi away from Indy.

Beef, pork, lamb, goat, can be posted on CL by farmers & ranchers. Sometimes you can make a deal for a 1/2 carcass of beef or pork. They will deliver the critter to their local butcher, you pick it up there after its been frozen solid for a couple days.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 am

Do you still sell jerky? That sounds like a real goldmine.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby pitw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Tourney, check craigslist, especially for more rural communities around 100 mi away from Indy.

Beef, pork, lamb, goat, can be posted on CL by farmers & ranchers. Sometimes you can make a deal for a 1/2 carcass of beef or pork. They will deliver the critter to their local butcher, you pick it up there after its been frozen solid for a couple days.

You are right to a point. Some farmers would welcome some new business and others not so much as they are geared to the supply chain of the big processors. I'd also advise you cut your own meat up so as to get what ya paid for.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59 am

Thogey wrote:Do you still sell jerky? That sounds like a real goldmine.

I sold Beefjerky.com about 3 years ago, with a non-compete clause that recently expired.

I have been thinking of starting up again, I have Meatjerky.com and Beefjerky.co, which are just sitting unused.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am

Some people work on their car in various ways to incrementally increase the MPG.

You can do the same to incrementally increase your viral security.

The flatware you use to eat with should not be stainless. You should be eating with forks and spoons that are sterling or silverplate.

Silver kills bacteria and virii. You put those tools in your mouth, they should be silver.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:18 am

I failed.

I did not move to Canada to live next to pitw. :cry:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I failed.

I did not move to Canada to live next to pitw. :cry:

Thanks for the chuckle. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Changechecker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Cashed out my copper cents. Seeing lots of articles how the virus wont last long on copper.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About