What Will You Do with the Extra Time You Have?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What Will You Do with the Extra Time You Have?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 am

What will you do with the gift of extra time you have (due to COVID-19) to use at least part of it wisely?

Disclaimer: I realize some doctors, nurses and others are thinking “What extra time?”

But there are many others who are working from home and may not have as much to do. Still others won’t have a job to go to at all. Also, with sports, concerts, gatherings of many types and even church being cancelled (Mormons and perhaps others to follow), that creates a lot of extra time. Even Disneyland and Disneyworld are being shut down til the smoke clears.

So what do you do with at least part of the extra time so this gift doesn’t go to waste? A few ideas: Learn more about the stock market for when the big buying opportunity arises in perhaps a few months, finally get around to sorting some coins to separate keepers from culls, start another hobby, learn more about prepping type skills, clean out a closet, attic or basement, start a garden, and many more. So what will you do?

P.S. I am modifying my inventory of food in case of an extended stay home or a need to go elsewhere on short notice. Also, I have lots of yard work to do and will need to at least partially clean up my home office.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Will You Do with the Extra Time You Have?

Postby Thogey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 am

Big baby boom could be coming in December!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:15 am

No extra time here. Working away....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 am

No extra time - projects continue as before.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Changechecker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:17 am

"We never close." That's my companies motto. They have a stock pile of masks available at the entrance. Wish they would close I could use a vacation.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Changechecker wrote:"We never close." That's my companies motto. They have a stock pile of masks available at the entrance. Wish they would close I could use a vacation.

If you can use a vacation, you could always consider calling in sick. Nobody should be questioning you on that decision these days. Of course, I don't know what you do for a living. If it is something like doctor/nurse or essential services to your community, then perhaps you need to keep working til the smoke clears.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:57 pm

How about responses from those who suddenly do have more time on their hands? I can't believe everyone on this site is all that busy.

Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 pm

I have a 10 day vacation planned for early April. Initially thought of going to San Fran but my travel mate is too spooked.

A staycation was a good alternative (this is Vegas, after all) but hotels have closed shows, buffets and nightclubs. Some are contemplating closing completely until this blows over. That's unheard of.

I live alone and I'm an introvert so the prospect of 10 days at home isn't the prison sentence it would be for others. More time to putter with my coins, watch movies and chat with you all.

Been told by superiors that our jobs are the last govt jobs that will close, if need be. So I'll be fighting off the zombies but secretly hoping for another 2-week hiatus (or longer) to tack on to my vacay.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:50 am

I made a 10 foot dingy 30 years ago from a bare fiberglass hull. I made glue-lam oak rails, oarlocks, seats, and a flotation tank. After 30 years the oak rails have failed from rot. Glue-lams are plywood that is glued, built-up in place on the curve of the hull to stiffen the edge and hold the shape of the hull.

I stripped off one of them and replaced it with outdoor grade PVC boards, 2" x 1". One on the inside, one on the outside. I clamped them together on the bare edge of the hull, drilled 5/8" holes thru, then glued a solid PVC dowel in the holes to pin the two boards together. The pins are 5" apart. This resulted in a very stiff capture of the edge of the hull holding the curve, and will never rot.

Now its time to do the other the boat rail on the port side.

Last edited by IdahoCopper on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:02 am

No extra time here. Have a trip to Hawaii booked on 4/1. Still planning on going, but not if they close Pearl Harbor to visitors.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:26 am

No extra time here, I've been averaging 50 hours a week at work, this year, to stay caught up. The reaction to the disaster will likely make that 60.

The nice part is, I'm an hourly employee, overtime.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About