Kung-flu

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Kung-flu

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:04 am

Yesterday morning, I went out to buy preps.

I went to the 1st Walgreens to buy surgical masks. I got the last box.

I went to the 2nd Walgreens and bought the last 2 boxes.

I went to Walmart and bought their last 3 boxes.

Three have 25 masks, the other three have 20 in each box. I hope 135 masks will be enough.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Kung-flu

Postby Thogey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:55 am

why did you do that?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:12 pm

I believe the manufacturers of masks will ramp up production to meet demand. No need to panic. I see this type of minor panic every time we have a snowfall of 3” or more, the grocery stores are packed with people thinking they’ll be snowbound for a week. But the roads are always clear the next day.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:10 pm

A little preparation will go a long way.

Producers will take longer than most people anticipate to ramp up production. Medical supplies have a convoluted and lengthy process. For example, Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico a while ago, but it took until December 2019 for the IV fluid manufacturers to shift, rebuild, and adjust to meet current needs.

I think the media hype is in full fear monger mode. I'm not planning to buy face masks any time soon.

CNN will find some twisting to blame President Trump for the "Kung-Flu."

I like the "Kung-Flu" verbiage.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Keep in mind that the masks can be used for other things besides flu outbreaks. For instance, I find that it helps when I mow the lawn, especially later in the day (even after a dose of Claritin for allergies). Also, some people like to have guests wear masks when the outsiders come to visit a newborn child. I'm sure there are many other times when these would be used. So I do think it is good to have a supply around.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Masks are always good to have. And they are reusable to an extent. The problem is that most people don't wear the typical mask correctly - most need to be pinched around the nose to seal - otherwise they leak and won't do what they are supposed to do.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:45 pm

hobo finds

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 am

Thogey wrote:why did you do that?

Wuhan has a Class 4 biolab where disease bacteria and viruses are "studied". A good case can be made that the lab is also used as a bio-weapons lab, Kung-flu accidentally escaped, and the world is facing a real pandemic.

Reports from doctors in China, and what the PRC government media are reporting on infection & death rates, do not match by 10:1. One of the primary hallmarks of a bio-weapon is that it is highly transmissible prior to symptoms. Since Kung-flu can apparently do that from 1-14 days before symptoms appear, and Wuhan has a biolab, those are enough Red Flags to start preps in earnest.

I refilled my diesel jugs in the shed yesterday, to be sure the house backup generator has fuel on hand. Got plenty of food, lead, and the house has its own well. If the disease vector really increases in the USA during the next two weeks, I may decide to strictly stay in the house for up to 6 weeks, as self-quarantine.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 am

I have a hard time believing that those masks do anything. Kinda like putting your head down when the plane is crashing. At least you'll feel better as you plum it to your death.

I mean really, those masks do not seal at all. Maybe an actual mask that encloses your entire face and has actual filters on them.

Wait, are you saying that China hasn't been honest? No way....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 am

*plummet. I know that's a word and it auto corrected, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

NotABigDeal

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:08 am

NotABigDeal wrote:I have a hard time believing that those masks do anything. Kinda like putting your head down when the plane is crashing. At least you'll feel better as you plum it to your death.

I mean really, those masks do not seal at all. Maybe an actual mask that encloses your entire face and has actual filters on them.

Wait, are you saying that China hasn't been honest? No way....

Deal

Worn badly I think they have limited use against incoming. I do like to see other people wearing them because they will catch cough expulsion from others. I can attest to their ability to catch dust and allergens when used properly - so I think they can have some value for respiratory born viruses, but how much I'm not sure. Given a choice of nothing or these I would definitely take these.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am

When are you all going to start wearing your masks?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby justoneguy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Thogey wrote:When are you all going to start wearing your masks?

As soon as I get on an airplane.
I'm going on an "adventure",
an old friend and I are going to Florida to metal detect the beach.
I'm bringing some old coins to prank him with ;]
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Covid-19

Postby coppernickel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 pm

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/quote

We have a name and more details. Sounds like the disease spreads pretty easily.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 pm

I've read that anything below an N95 rated mask will do little to stop the transmission of a virus, and even an N95 mask needs to be worn properly (tightly) to potentially have a filtering effect against a virus, which most people don't do.

Where masks may help is in reducing the projection and spread of contagious fluids from already infected people coughing, and in reducing the tendency of people to touch their nose and mouth.

Frequent and thorough hand washing and avoiding touching your face probably do more than wearing a mask. I don't think wearing a mask will hurt, but don't let it give you a false sense of security.
natsb88

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am

Wait, you mean the POS flimsy masks aren't working? You don't say....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

NotABigDeal

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 am

In defense of the masks that you normally see being worn by medical teams during surgery, those are intended to protect others (e.g., the patient being cut open) from the respiratory crud that might be carried by the doctor etc. No they don't very well filter out fine incoming particles that are already airborne. Even N95 masks aren't perfect (and too often they aren't worn right) - if you want really good you need a respirator.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 am

So the act of hoarding masks is actually screwing the hoarders. When they are not available to as many people as possible, they become less effective.

Imagine that, wearing a mask is socially responsible and kind. You are better off giving your masks to all around you.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 am

Dunno about that but masks are cheap. During years where they aren't in short supply everyone should buy a few packs - then they wouldn't become in such short supply during a crisis.

The less effective ones are literally inexpensive - using that term rather than cheap. In a normal year you can buy boxes of 50 for a few bucks. I have 20 N95 masks and 10x that of the surgical masks in stock. The intention is that if either the wife or I become symptomatic of a contagion then the infected one would wear the surgical masks to reduce exposure to the other. The N95 masks would be worn by the one treating the other. The N95 masks can be disinfected with UV light or hydrogen peroxide so I would store the used N95 masks and if I ran out I would treat them and reuse.

Not sure if it would work but it's a plan that has been executed and in my world thats better than doing nothing. I did this years ago - at some point I'll have to make sure the masks haven't degraded, and trade them out if the materials (rubber etc) have degraded.

And I do run through a few of the N95 masks every year for use during high pollen or dust or wildfire ash etc. So they have an actual other purpose besides contaigion insurance.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:18 am

good luck with your masks
Thogey

Postby Changechecker » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:55 pm

I worked for a medical manufacturing company. They have eight mask making machines. They are running all machines round the clock and can't put a dent in demand. Friend told me they are being approached by people with totes of cash looking to buy masks and they can't help them. It is real. Things are bad on China. God help us if it begins to spread through out the U.S.
Nothing wrong with planning. I don't think we understand how what is happening in China will affect us here. They are shutting down factories which export finished products we use. I believe we could see major shortages of key items in the next few weeks/months. Just my opinion
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:24 am

Changechecker wrote:I don't think we understand how what is happening in China will affect us here. Just my opinion

If the annual flu virus over the last fifty to sixth years can be used as an indication, this coming fall and winter will be ripe with Covid-19 in Europe and North America.

The bigger picture includes the production of school and Christmas we are so familiar with, that manufacturing is mothballed at the moment.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Kung-flu vaccine

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 am

Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:21 am

Last edited by Thogey on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:27 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Yesterday morning, I went out to buy preps.

I went to the 1st Walgreens to buy surgical masks. I got the last box.

I went to the 2nd Walgreens and bought the last 2 boxes.

I went to Walmart and bought their last 3 boxes.

Three have 25 masks, the other three have 20 in each box. I hope 135 masks will be enough.

How many masks do you have left?
Thogey

Next

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About