What Percent of Coins are Gone Forever?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What Percent of Coins are Gone Forever?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:32 am

I've been meaning to ask about this, but forgot until another posting triggered my memory- so here goes.

I remember hearing that at my grandmother's house they had a flood in the basement and an estimated 5,000 Indian Head pennies were washed away (down the drain). This was well over 50 years ago.

It got me to thinking about ways that coins are lost forever. Here are a few that I thought of:

1) Tornados
2) Tsunamis
3) Earthquakes (to a lesser extent)
4) Hurricanes (could be a biggie for areas with large populations near the coast- a la Puerto Rico a couple years ago)
5) Floods
6) Mountain slides
7) Dates being worn off completely (affected lots of Buffalo nickels and Standing Liberty quarters)
8) Coins being melted down (lots of junk silver was melted from the late 60's until the early 80's)
9) Ships sinking
10) Coins put into hiding places that will never be found (i.e., a single man who doesn't have any friends or family buries something 3 feet underground a half mile from his house and dies the next month)

There are probably a few others that I haven't thought of.

This is a topic I've never really seen addressed anywhere except for someone to say something like "5 million of this date were originally minted. It is estimated that 500k are still in existence."

Has anyone here seen anything published anywhere about this phenomenon along with any estimates of the number of coins remaining? I anxiously await your responses.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Percent of Coins are Gone Forever?

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:45 am

PCGS has a section(coinfacts)on their website where they estimate the remaining number of coins for each date/mintmark.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 am

Great topic! I often wonder about this myself, esp when I see on the news of natural disasters. I'm sure many coins have probably been lost forever due to fires. :(
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:39 am

18.34%
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:11 am

That's rounded up from 5 significant digits - a bit imprecise there Doc.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:13 pm

68Camaro wrote:That's rounded up from 5 significant digits - a bit imprecise there Doc.

Totally agree. The rounding error amounts to millions.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Thogey wrote:
68Camaro wrote:That's rounded up from 5 significant digits - a bit imprecise there Doc.

Totally agree. The rounding error amounts to millions.

I blame the turkey for my careless math. :shifty:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Numis Pam wrote:Great topic! I often wonder about this myself, esp when I see on the news of natural disasters. I'm sure many coins have probably been lost forever due to fires. :(

Pam, you mention the fires. I had a friend years ago who owned a lot of real estate and did a lot of fixer uppers. One was a house that burned down. He was doing the demolition work and inside a wall was a bunch of silver coins. He showed them to me. If memory serves me correct (I looked at the coins over 10 years ago) he had approximately $200-300 face value of silver and the coins did have a lot of smoke damage but you could still read the dates. They weren't bent or anything because the heat from a typical fire isn't hot enough to melt silver.

Some temperature information for you and other readers:

Average house fire temperature: 1100-1200 degrees Fahrenheit (per Livesafe Foundation)
Silver melting point: 1763 degrees F.
Copper melting point: 1984 degrees F.
Nickel melting point: 2651 degrees F. (yet another thing to like about those .999 Canadian nickels)

So silver and copper will likely be ok in a fire, but they won't look pretty due to the smoke damage.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 am

People also throw them in the trash
hobo finds

Postby knibloe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:39 pm

newer zinc pennies just disintegrate if on/in the ground
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Numis Pam wrote:Great topic! I often wonder about this myself, esp when I see on the news of natural disasters. I'm sure many coins have probably been lost forever due to fires. :(

Pam, you mention the fires. I had a friend years ago who owned a lot of real estate and did a lot of fixer uppers. One was a house that burned down. He was doing the demolition work and inside a wall was a bunch of silver coins. He showed them to me. If memory serves me correct (I looked at the coins over 10 years ago) he had approximately $200-300 face value of silver and the coins did have a lot of smoke damage but you could still read the dates. They weren't bent or anything because the heat from a typical fire isn't hot enough to melt silver.

Some temperature information for you and other readers:

Average house fire temperature: 1100-1200 degrees Fahrenheit (per Livesafe Foundation)
Silver melting point: 1763 degrees F.
Copper melting point: 1984 degrees F.
Nickel melting point: 2651 degrees F. (yet another thing to like about those .999 Canadian nickels)

I got a roll of 40% halves a whiule back. they had obviously been through a fire. It appeared that they had fused together and a chisel was used to pry them apart

So silver and copper will likely be ok in a fire, but they won't look pretty due to the smoke damage.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About