The firewood thread.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

The firewood thread.

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Anybody else here leap for free firewood? I got 2 trailer loads in the past month from road crews doing work. I'm always afraid I'm going to get arrested when I'm doing it, but if I pass on the opp someone else takes it anyway, lol.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: The firewood thread.

Postby coppernickel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Don't feel guilty. Opportunities like that are rare, jump to keep the fire warm.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks! I feel better now. :)

I had seen some on the side of 95 about 9 yrs ago. I picked up a bunch and just used the last of it this month!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 pm

The town here usually announces on Facebook if the street crew has to cut a tree down. First come first serve. When the fire department cuts up a downed tree they usually just cut it into a few manageable pieces and drag it off the road. Nobody seems to care who takes it after that, so long as it's not on private property and they aren't impeding traffic to get it. When the utilities trim or cut trees they clean up the branches but typically leave the wood if the homeowner wants it or if it's along a wooded area anyway. Otherwise they haul it to a friend of mine who processes and sells firewood and mulch, but that's more time/work/fuel for the tree trimming companies so they leave what they can. The only entity that I suspect might object would be PennDOT, mostly because the unions get mad when somebody does work for free that PennDOT employees could be getting paid for.

I'm making arrangements to have some large maple and oak logs milled into live edge slabs for making furniture, all free / salvaged wood from trees that were cut down on my parents' property and at a friend's place. Would have become firewood but I asked for the trunks to be left whole. Should be a fun project.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:24 am

Out of courtesy, you might want to check with the property owner before hauling off cut wood. Here the county or city or utility company has a right of way on the land owners property. Someone owns the land. Here the county has a 66 ft right of way on each side of the county road. Some years ago the county was clearing some trees from the right of way and cut the trees into logs and stacked them on the edge of the right of way of my dads farm. He heats with wood. Well someone helped themselves to the wood and hauled it all away. My dad was not happy. The wood was from his trees on his land. I would call that theft.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:32 am

Well that's what's weird. It is where they appear to be widening a road, so the "property" does not appear to be owned by the nearby homeowners next to the road.

Nevertheless, I now have plenty of wood to unload from my trailer this weekend!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 am

I'm always ready to scoop up free wood. I'm in a really wooded area so I scrounge up enough dead and fallen stuff on my land and in my neighborhood to keep my house hot all winter (7-8 cord of the best wood I have) and to make maple syrup (about 10 cord of softwood, and small scraps/etc). Cutting and splitting is still fun but stacking is annoying. Just had some strong winds blow through so I'll definitely be cutting some wood this weekend!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:54 pm

So the crew cut another tree down last night. I made sure I was there this am to get the wood. A nearby neighbor stood there watching me. I was just waiting for him to say something, lol.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 pm

I have 90 acres and there is plenty of wood on then. However, If I see wood that is cut and free when I am driving I will stop and pick it up. My woods are about 1/2 mile from the house by tractor, so If it is already cut and on the roadside, it saves me time.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About