The Most Unusual Thing You've Hoarded/Heard About Hoarding

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

The Most Unusual Thing You've Hoarded/Heard About Hoarding

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 am

What is the most unusual thing you've hoarded or heard about others hoarding? This can go in just about any direction and it can definitely involve non-numismatic type items.

I'll give you a few items to think about...

1) I will cop to having hoarded perhaps 400 or so bars of soap from travels all over the world. I figure that having extra soap on hand would be a good thing in a SHTF scenario.
2) Hedge fund manager Kyle Bass once bought $1 million in nickels (U.S. nickels). They were stored in a Brinks vault in the downtown Dallas area. I believe the weight of the nickels is over 200,000 pounds. Don't know if he still has them, but I imagine he does.
3) Someone I personally know (no- not me!) has collected Buffalo nickels and V-nickels ever since he was a kid. He once realized he had over 200,000 DATELESS Buffalo nickels on hand. He felt that was too many and sold them all at one time to the same party. I wonder how many the other party had! Also, if the buyer is planning on using that date restoring solution to dip certain nickels, I feel sorry for anyone who has to do that task.
4) I know someone in Portland on this site who may have quite a few pennies on hand (just sayin')- of course he has a business and many/most of those are being stored for/sold to customers.

I know there are quite a few on this site who have hoards/mini hoards of silver and copper- maybe some gold. Unless there is something quite unusual about your hoard, it may not be worth bringing up. Also, for privacy reasons, please be careful about what you say on a public site like this.

What else can everyone else think of?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The Most Unusual Thing You've Hoarded/Heard About Hoardi

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:14 am

I totally forgot something quite unusual that someone once told me about hoarding- cans of freon. I'm pretty sure this was R-22 refrigerant that is used in millions of A/C units and will become illegal next year. He told me about going to places like AutoZone and NAPA Auto Parts and asking how much they had left in the store. He would then buy it all. He said he had well over 1,000 cans of freon in his garage. With the prices spiking sharply after it was announced that it would no longer be made, he stands to make some really good money if he has a good way to sell it.

He told me about this roughly 6 years ago, so perhaps he has already sold it all.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Landrover » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am

I just found out yesterday that my coworker saves every foil wrapper from his trident gum. Neatly folded and stacked in his desk... going on 8 years. After I got off the floor and stopped laughing, he calmly asked me how many hotel key cards I had in my desk.....last count was just over 500. I travel alot for work.
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:47 pm

I have to add another one about my late mother-in-law who was a very pleasant person. Anyhow, she made rosaries for the church and figured that some people might stop by to pray the rosary in her back yard. Now this was a very modest sized back yard but I remember counting the chairs she had out there. It was something like 104-105 chairs- and I never saw any of them being used when I went there. Chairs are indeed a very unusual thing to hoard.

Recyclersteve

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About