Taking care of your semi-auto magazines

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Taking care of your semi-auto magazines

Postby Nickelless » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 am

I'm probably preaching to the choir in reminding some of you that magazine springs can lose their tension if the magazines are kept fully loaded at all times and not periodically unloaded. I have a total of six magazines at the moment for my Kel-Tec PF9 (my usual CC piece) and every two weeks (on payday, usually, since that's a date I can remember), I take the rounds out of the magazine I've been using and put them in another magazine. Do any of you do this as well?

I think that especially considering how many of us are concerned with self-defense issues, everything pretty much hits the fan if we don't have extra magazines (get them while you can!!) and the spring on the one we have isn't ejecting rounds as it should.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Taking care of your semi-auto magazines

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:35 am

No, I think this is a good post. I like a medium to tight resistance from my clips. I haven't had any get to loose yet, but I could see where this would happen from tons of usage and or storing loaded magazines.

I have a target pistol that I have put 20-30K rounds through and the clips are much looser than factory delivered, but they seem to be still be within safety and function specs.

Just another thing to think about…thanks Nickelless
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Taking care of your semi-auto magazines

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 pm

good advice.

i rotate mine on the first of the month. guess we all have our different schedules !

another note on the extra magazines - when i get a new one, i load it and run it through just to be sure it will feed and function alright before i put it into carry use or put it into storage.

maybe im paranoid but id hate to have a defect in a mag and not know it...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About