Coffee?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Coffee?

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:25 pm

A nice brand too! Nickelless' favorite.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Natchez14 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Look for it on ebay tomorrow :)
Natchez14
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 am

rickygee wrote:You can check this website for some ideas: http://www.stilltasty.com/ They say a couple of years for unopened ground coffee and a year for instant. IMHO it will last unopened considerably longer.

I've used the Still Tasty site for about 6 years now and have to admit that it is a very impressive site. Lots of good free info and they get into pretty good depth with what they say on the site.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Natchez14 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:11 am

I've never tried that brand of coffee, but I have heard good things, and now I must have some!
Natchez14
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Changechecker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 am

I was watching videos online and coffee was mentioned as a good prep item to have on hand. In the past I tried to store a few extra cans for "just in case" moment. I don't seem to have any trouble using the extra up well before any printed expiration date.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:45 am

Yes, I keep about a year's worth on hand, but this is only one item in a larger general category that I have posted on before which I call investing in food. This makes sense as long as we aren't in a deflationary economy.

To the extent that you have space, buy all non-perishable items - but it has to be things that you actually use regularly - on sale and/or in bulk, and then "shop" your own pantry/storage when you run out. The next natural extension of this includes the many possible paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, paper napkins, tissues, etc), various sizes of plastic bags from sandwich bags up to 45-50 gallon construction debris and lawn/leaf bags. Do NOT buy things that you might use - waste of time (unless they are survival products, and that's a different category).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Nickelless » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:08 pm

My wife and I have been married almost 6-1/2 years, and I have had so much coffee stashed away among our preps that I haven't had to buy coffee for the homestead since we've been married. I have at least another year to go before I will start to worry about restocking.
Nickelless

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:31 am

I buy green coffee beans, they keep forever. Bought in bulk, they cost around $4/lb. Fresh-roasted coffee is way better.

I used a Nesco home coffee roaster, https://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.NescoCoffeeRoaster.php, and wore out two of these over the years. This type was a very good one, but now they are out of production.

A couple months ago, I bought this one from Nesco, https://www.nesco.com/product/coffee-bean-roaster/. It does smaller batches, its controls are not as variable, but it seems to work well.

Anyway, that is my SHTF coffee plan.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:32 am

Nice, thanks for the link! I've been planning on trying a roasting using a stovetop popcorn popper over a propane burner (outside - because I had heard the process creates a lot of smoke). Does this one create much smoke? I can always do it in the garage if it does.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:44 am

68Camaro wrote:Nice, thanks for the link! I've been planning on trying a roasting using a stovetop popcorn popper over a propane burner (outside - because I had heard the process creates a lot of smoke). Does this one create much smoke? I can always do it in the garage if it does.

The first time I used the new one the smoke alarm went off, but no smoke was visible. Since then I run it on the stove top under the vent hood, exhausting it outside. I spent around $95 including shipping. I think it is worth that price in convenience. From its design, it think it will outlast the older roaster I had.

I roast 50/50 Sumatra and Yirrgacheffe. Its a good blend I make from the two bean origins. I prefer one SE Asian and one African. It balances the flavors.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Just ordered one and will give it a shot.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:35 am

When coffee is roasted the outer skin of the bean flakes off and is called chaff. The new Nesco separates it from the beans fairly well, but some remain mixed with the roasted coffee beans.

I made a chaff separator using an old air popcorn popper that I got at the thrift store for $3. Pour in the beans and chaff, put a small 3" metal screen strainer upside-down over the 4" diameter popcorn well.

Put the top of the popper back on and run it for 20 to 30 seconds. The chaff will blow out and the beans stay in the well. Point it at the sink with running water and the chaff will make less mess.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Silverfondler » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:44 am

68Camaro wrote:Just ordered one and will give it a shot.

Nothing like freshly roasted coffee!
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 am

I should have reviewed more carefully what I wrote about the chaff and separator.

The majority of the beans, those in the well of the coffee roaster, are good to go, they will not have much chaff at all.

The roaster's top has a chaff separator that works only so-so. Too many beans get into it, maybe 20 to 50 beans. They are mixed with the chaff from all the beans.

After roasting, lift off and dump the top of the roaster into the popcorn rig to clean up those few beans.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About