Bitcoin Survey

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What Do You Honestly Think About Bitcoin?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:25 pm

I like bitcoin, own it, and think it is the future of e-commerce around the world, including the U.S.
4%
Bitcoin has a valid future as a means of exchange, but I don't want to own it from an investment/speculation standpoint.
3%
I don't embrace it AT ALL and will likely never use it.
12%
I hope this technology fails miserably, because it is messing with our current banking system and/or precious metal values.
3%
I would consider buying (or will buy) bitcoin right now (day you take survey), even if required to hold it for 12 months.
2%
I'd be much more comfortable betting on bitcoin going down sharply, but just don't know the timeframe.
10%
I think bitcoin provides a valid alternative to other more traditional means of exchange.
12%
Bitcoin is a scheme that largely benefits criminals who engage in extortion, money laundering, etc.
4%
Bitcoin allows you to be totally anonymous in your transactions.
3%
Bitcoin isn't nearly as anonymous as many think. You need to provide personal information when opening an account, etc.
18%
I know of at least one person who had a negative experience (hacking, loss of passcode, etc.) where they lost $ on bitcoin.
11%
An unintended consequence for those who lose $ in bitcoin may well be a better understanding of other types of investments.
8%
I have a very nice profit on bitcoin already, and will get out if it goes to a certain predetermined price.
1%
I have a very nice profit on bitcoin already, but will decide on when to get out depending on how it acts.
6%
I would be comfortable putting 25-50% of my net worth into bitcoin right now or have already done so.
1%

Total votes : 90

Bitcoin Survey

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm

There has been an awful lot said on this site about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies lately and even over the last several years. I have yet to see a bitcoin survey and thought that one on this controversial topic would be interesting, especially among a group of people that already considers alternative types of investments (i.e., stacking).

As we are only allowed 15 responses for the survey, I'm sure there are probably some that I forgot to include. Please feel free to add other items you wish would have been on the survey in your remarks.

This should be a very interesting survey.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bitcoin Survey

Postby Bigjohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:42 pm

I am not completely for it or completely against it. I believe there are true uses for the block chain technology and it’s here to stay. I wouldn’t be surprised if bitcoin itself dropped to nothing and was replaced with something else. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it went up 10 times in 2018. I have an open mind and want to be able to take advantage of whatever opportunity that exists and am ready for changes that it might bring
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm willing to profit from it even if I don't have long term faith in it.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm

When you say Bitcoin, do you mean BTC specifically, or crypto currencies in general? Some people use "Bitcoin" to reference crypto currency the way Kleenex or Band-Aid or Velcro are used, even though they are just one specific example of a larger category of product. For me, some of the questions are "no" if referencing specifically and only BTC, but "yes" if referring to crypto currencies in general.
natsb88

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm

I mean cryptos in general.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby merchoarder » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Nate makes a good point. The distinction of Bitcoin specifically versus crypto currencies in general is pretty significant to many of the choices. That aside, a have a small amount of money in a few different cryptos. It has done very well, but if it went to zero tomorrow, no big deal. I've read articles of people mortgaging their house to buy Bitcoin. That is absolutely insane to me! In my opinion Bitcoin paved the way but something newer and better will come along and replace it. Who knows what and I could be completely wrong. I'm rooting for Litecoin, I have almost a whole 1 of those! :lol: :lol:

I also happen to be an online poker junkie and Bitcoin has allowed me to get back into the game so that's nice!

Edit: I see you clarified to cryptos in general, thanks.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 am

Its more than just Bitcoin. Other cryptocurrencies have good potential to fill niches that Bitcoin is not so good at.

I think in the long run, Bitcoin will be used for large transactions like banking, homes, cars. The transfer fees are too high for small transactions. It is impossible today to predict which cryptos will last, and which will will fade away.

29 days ago, I put in [redacted], now holding [redacted] cryptos, with about 63% in Bitcoin. I'm up $[redacted], total accounts are worth $[redacted]. I sold [redacted] to do this. Did anyone [redacted] see a 71% gain in the last month? The other $[redacted] got me a new car stereo, a new windshield, and new eyeglasses. I have a rental house up for sale with equity of about $[redacted] will go into cryptos.

[redacted]

Yes, its is scary risky. I have avoided risk too much in my life. I sold my [redacted] business in July of 2016 and invested [redacted], for a monster box of silver. Bitcoin was at $600. If I had bought that instead, the $[redacted] would be worth $[redacted] today. In just 18 months. Hindsight is 20/20, without the new eyeglasses.

EDIT: Redacts, sorry guys, discretion here may be important.
Last edited by IdahoCopper on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:23 am

Wow, sorry for your lossed password. That is crazy.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:00 am

The math of lost opportunity is such that if I had perfect foresight and invested my first quarter of allowance in 1964 and sold and reinvested at every best opportunity I would by now literally own the entire world. You can't do the "what ifs".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:14 pm

I believe cryptos can make you money but it’s a risk/reward kinda deal. Risk is very high (but so is reward potential). I still believe in metals more as a long term store of wealth and haven’t sold an oz of silver to buy crypto. The little crypto that I have been buying, been with my “gambling budget” that I’d be okay losing
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:16 pm

IdahoCopper wrote: 29 days ago, I put in $17,500, now holding 5 cryptos, with about 63% in Bitcoin. I'm up $12,500, total accounts are worth $30,000. I sold $19,500 of silver to do this. Did anyone holding silver see a 71% gain in the last month?

While it feels good to be up 71% in a month, I sure hope you have some kind of system for keeping a profit when Bitcoin pulls back. The higher it goes without a meaningful pullback, the sharper the pullback is likely to be once it happens.

I'm sure it feels great to be up, but don't get too cocky.

If you don't have some kind of system for getting out with a profit (in other words, if your plan is to wing it), then your emotions will be all over the map when bitcoin comes down sharply and you may have a very hard time getting out with any profit whatsoever, which probably seems silly right now. I say this as I remember quite a few people who had 500-1,000% profits on Cisco Systems and Lucent Technologies stocks. They ended up selling at a loss, which is an absolute shame as it didn't go down that much overnight. They had PLENTY of time to get out, but were like deer in the headlights and didn't know what to do. So, unlike something like fraud or bankruptcy where I'd feel sorry for the person, this was a different situation. These people felt invincible with their huge profits and that cost them dearly. Whatever you do, please come up with some kind of system.

For what it is worth, I do remember one guy who had a system whereby he would do the following: Anytime he had a profit of 10% or more, he'd attempt to keep at least 1/3 of the profit. If he had a profit of 20% or more, he'd attempt to keep at least 1/2 of the profit. If he had a profit of 50% or more, he'd attempt to keep at least 2/3 of his profit. Whether I agree with his exact numbers or not is irrelevant. At least this guy had a system. I'd bet that over time he'd outperform someone who didn't have a system.

Bottom line: Develop some kind of system and don't be jealous when you hear of someone else in Bitcoin making even more money than you.

Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: I sure hope you have some kind of system for keeping a profit when Bitcoin pulls back.

Up $1,100 today in only 14 hours.

The system for this is when the whole shebang is worth $35,000, which is just over double what I put in ... plus $1,750, I withdraw $1,750. When I've done that 10 times, my initial outlay is recovered. I might take out the $1,750 two or three times a week, and it will still be double what I put in. We will see what happens later this week.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Good- I'm glad you have a plan.

Now, what about the downside? If you happened to buy near the peak (or near-term peak) and it goes down 40-60% pretty fast, do you have some point where you'd get out? In some cases the answer here is not to get out when something is "on sale" but to buy more.

The important key for someone who does buy multiple times is to be sure that even after buying something 5-6 times, they shouldn't have a big percentage of their net worth tied up in the investment. So, if someone put, say 10%-20% of what they have into Bitcoin with their initial purchase, they likely wouldn't have the luxury of doubling down. An exception would be an ultra high net worth individual- someone worth $20 million who only needs $5 million to live comfortably the rest of their life. They could put $2 million into Bitcoin (or some other investment), double down and still be ok even if they lost it all. That said, the might be setting themselves up for sloppy habits that eventually cost them everything.

Think about two people who both buy $50,000 of XYZ stock (or Bitcoin or whatever) at the same time. Person A has $100k to their name and Person B has $10 million. If XYZ goes down 20-30% quickly, person A is likely in a world of hurt and may not know what to do. Person B can say "Great- it is on sale. I'll buy some more." And they can do that perhaps 5-6 times. Even after buying all those times, let's say the investments go to zero. Person A just had their net worth cut in half, a real gut punch. Person B just had their net worth drop from $10 million to perhaps $9.7 million- they will be just fine. As my boss used to say "Rich get richer."

Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:07 pm

I would have answered different were I to know it was Cryptocurrencies instead of Bitcoin.

In some form or another they are here to stay. It's early in the technology so like when the internet was new we WILL see some shake out. Money will be lost. Much more will be made. If it makes things virtually any things more secure but especially computer, cyber, or internet security then they will create value.

If it makes buying, selling, and life easier, more efficient, and secure it will have value. We'll how it all shakes out.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Now, what about the downside?

Depends on what news is causing the selloff. If its crushing news for all cryptos, then sell ASAP. News like that is rather unlikely, but not impossible.

As a general plan, I probably would ride it down until selling all of it would net my initial outlay. Profits are a want, not a need.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 am

merchoarder wrote:I also happen to be an online poker junkie and Bitcoin has allowed me to get back into the game so that's nice!

Seriously? I didn't know that.

Now I want to change my answers :P
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:31 pm

I just changed the survey so we can all change our answers. Thanks for the feedback.

Recyclersteve

Postby dpwozney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 am

Rather than bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, I recommend "zinc coin", also known as the Lincoln Cent, minted by the U.S. Mint since 1982. It's physically real and valuable, having a December 18th metal value of "$0.0082050" or 82.05% of face value, according to the "United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table" available at Coinflation.com.

Also, rather than bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, I recommend "cupronickel-alloy coin", also known as the Jefferson Nickel, minted by the U.S. Mint since 1946. It's physically real and valuable, having a December 18th metal value of "$0.0404532" or 80.90% of face value, according to the "United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table" available at Coinflation.com.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Funny how this thread ended right after blipcoin took a swan dive. I expected more here to be smarter than this. I wonder how many bought at the very top, then took a nice haircut - ouch.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About