What if You Found an Indian Head in a Urinal?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What if You Found an Indian Head in a Urinal?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

I had this question buried in a thread ("Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?") where it wouldn't really be seen, so I will pose this out of the box type question on this eleventh day of Christmas.

You are in a men's room, only to wash your hands, and are in no particular hurry. You see something in the urinal that looks a bit unusual. Nobody else is in the men's room, and it is one of those that is seldom used. Looking further, you see that what is in the urinal is an Indian Head penny and it appears to be in decent shape (let's just say Fine or maybe better).

Do you pick it up?

Now, let's up the stakes. If you said "No, I wouldn't pick it up", I will counter with this. What if you could plainly see (I know- some don't have vision that good- but just go along like you had great vision) that the coin was an 1877. Would you pick it up then?

For ladies, let's assume it is a combo Men's/Women's bathroom that you are using and that it has a urinal in it.

Any and all responses appreciated. If you want to counter with something like "I'd pick it up if it was a gold double eagle", that is fine.

I'll start. I'm not a total germaphobe, but do wash my hands A LOT. I'd judge the general cleanliness of the rest room and check to be sure there was plenty of soap on hand for me to wash my hands (and perhaps the coin) before taking the dive. I would also check for that type of paper that people use to dry their hands, not the flimsy toilet paper if at all possible. I might suddenly not feel like eating the meal I came into the restaurant for. But, yes, I'd go after even a common date Indian. So there. (If it was a regular zinc Lincoln, there is not a chance in you know what that I'd do the dirty deed)

What about everyone else?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What if You Found an Indian Head in a Urinal?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:49 pm

I know someone very well whose response would be:

"Steve, how could you EVER post something like that on a public forum? That is so disgusting!"

20 minutes later that person walks into the room and says... "Could you change it to a steel cent because I've always liked those?"
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby merchoarder » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes! Absolutely, without a second thought. I'm in a bathroom, I can just wash my hands after. Total no-brainer. :lol:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris6084 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 am

merchoarder wrote:Yes! Absolutely, without a second thought. I'm in a bathroom, I can just wash my hands after. Total no-brainer. :lol:

Exactly my thought. Hands and the newly found coin can be washed with soap and water immediately after picking it up.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Heck, I crawl under tables at Taco Bell for a regular penny.. No difference. I'd grab it! lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Heck, I crawl under tables at Taco Bell for a regular penny.. No difference. I'd grab it! lol

I laughed when I read this, but then I realized I'm pretty much the same way.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 pm

By the way, a hat tip is in order to cwgii and hobo finds for the idea for this thread. The original posting was under the thread "Where Have You Found Coins and Currency?"

Recyclersteve

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Heck, if I see chewing gum that looks like it may still have a little flavor left....well..... .
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Heck, if I see chewing gum that looks like it may still have a little flavor left....well..... .

Dude, you can tell if it still has flavor by looking at it?
Is that major dentist sense, or trial and error?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 pm

If I found an Indian head in a urinal the first thing I would do is look for the rest of the Indian. Then I’d call the cops.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:If I found an Indian head in a urinal the first thing I would do is look for the rest of the Indian. Then I’d call the cops.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:03 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:If I found an Indian head in a urinal the first thing I would do is look for the rest of the Indian. Then I’d call the cops.

I can hear the late Ed McMahon saying "HIOOOOO!"

Recyclersteve

Postby silverflake » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I always have my Leatherman on my belt. I'd just flip out the pliers and reach in to grab. An initial soap and wash then get home and disinfect...voila!

Side note: Speaking of pennies and urine....Growing up in the 70's in metro Boston, our neighborhoods were still very ethnic (I lived near a Portuguese neighborhood, a Jewish neighborhood and a Lithuanian neighborhood while the underlying populace was mostly Irish....). Needless to say a lot of the older folks were from the "Old Country" and had a lot of old school remedies for common maladies. My friend lived with his grandparents next door to me for a while and in the course of his daily kid life he developed some warts on his hand. His Grandmother told him to "pee on a penny, then rub the wart". At the time I thought she was nuts. Evidently there is some info online claiming that this home remedy works.I will stick to Compound-W.

Keep stacking even if it means reaching into urinals.......wart prevention?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 am

flush and retrieve
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 am

I would check the others for coins as well! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby Contradiction » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 am

These are the days of thrilling space travel so we cannot avoid the question that confronts us: What if you found an Indian Head in Uranus?
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 pm

I would get the penny. Reminds me of a person I worked with who was a germophibe. They put gloves on to protect their hand from the coin. I put gloves on to protect the coin from my hands.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Contradiction » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Tourney64 wrote:I would get the penny. Reminds me of a person I worked with who was a germophibe. They put gloves on to protect their hand from the coin. I put gloves on to protect the coin from my hands.

Given the location of your post immediately after mine, I need to ask: Are you responding to the original post or to mine just above?
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 am

Contradiction wrote: What if you found an Indian Head in Uranus?

It would have to be a BROWN Unc.

Recyclersteve

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 am

Responding to the 1st post -urinal.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About