Will New Amazon HQ Cause Spike in Local Real Estate?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Will New Amazon HQ Cause Spike in Local Real Estate?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 am

I wonder if there will be a quick spike in real estate prices (homes or raw land or both) in the area near Amazon's new headquarters location, to be announced in 2018? Any thoughts from anyone, especially with enough real estate knowledge to make any comps with other major companies moving or adding new facilities?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Will New Amazon HQ Cause Spike in Local Real Estate?

Postby fasteddy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

absolutely it will...when Exxon announce it was moving into the Woodlands here in Houston all the local real estate jump in price. Now if your house didn't flood last month you can add 20% to your home value. My neighbor sold his house in 8 days...nearly doubled in price in ten years.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm

10000% will jump with the amount of jobs they are talking.
Buffalo/Rochester area is one of their top sites as well and eagerly watching. If they announce here I will be trying to buy any reasonably priced vacant land within 25-30 miles.
Can't really lose with vacant either way. May not make a fortune but hard to lose if your not buying flood or contaminated.
misteroman

Postby hobo finds » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 pm

We tried to send them a Saguaro Cactus they sent it back! :lol: I guess we are out!
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:19 am

misteroman wrote: If they announce here I will be trying to buy any reasonably priced vacant land within 25-30 miles.
Can't really lose with vacant either way.

Don't know what property taxes are in your area, but if you had vacant land that sat and did nothing (value wise) for 15-20 years, wouldn't it be a bit painful to keep paying those property taxes without getting anything back from the property?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About