Finding Money Your Lost.....Please read!

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Finding Money Your Lost.....Please read!

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 pm

For years I have known a dirty little secret that most states and the federal government don't want you to know i.e. a huge number like one out of every six people in the US are owed money by either the state or federal government for one reason or another! Examples: You forget the down payment you had you put down to have you utilities cut on so when you moved they did not have a forwarding address to send your refund. OR The cellular company that you dropped because you moved had a refund on your account and they did not have your forwarding address so they turned the money over to the state.

PLEASE do me a favor.......Go to this website and search your name now! https://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Index.cfm

All states have a fund normally held by the state treasurer's office called escheat and unclaimed property. There is no one pushing for the state or federal level to try to return this money.......Simply put, there is no incentive to do the right thing, other than it is the right thing to do.

Databases from the Social Security Administration, IRS and DMV just to name of few could all be used to track down most of the individuals, but again no one wants to take the time to do the searches and help individuals to fill out the paperwork to get the money back to the rightful owner.

At the federal level there are many different agencies holding monies rightfully belonging to the citizens of the United States.

Below are just a few hiding places:

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The PBGC's Missing Participant Database can be found online at: http://search.pbgc.gov/mp/

Unclaimed funds from Service Members’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) or Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) policies from 1965 to the present. These funds can be searched online at https://insurance.va.gov/UnclaimedFunds

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a huge amount of monies every year that either go unclaimed or are deemed undeliverable. They have a database that can be found online at: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) has an online database for unclaimed funds for either unclaimed insured deposits (for receiverships established between January 1, 1989 and June 28, 1993), or for dividend checks issued which were undeliverable or never cashed: https://www5.fdic.gov/funds/Index.asp#Search

When a credit union with federal insurance is liquidated, NCUA's Asset Management and Assistance Center is responsible for paying the share accounts to the members. They also have an online listing at: https://www.ncua.gov/services/Pages/Doc ... posits.pdf

Did you ever have a HUD financed home loan? If you did know that there is another $400 million in refunds that are sitting idle.
Again go to: https://entp.hud.gov/dsrs/refunds/

Lastly each year over 15,000 savings bonds and 25,000 payments are returned to the Department of the Treasury as undeliverable. In addition, there are savings bonds that have stopped earning interest, but haven’t been cashed. There is no telling how many of the old paper saving bonds were just lost by their owners.

By now you probably guessed it there is yet another federal database that you can search no less by social security number! https://www.treasurydirect.gov/TH/BPDLo ... e=thpublic **If the link does not work they may be updating....to learn more go to this page: https://www.treasuryhunt.gov/

Stop for a moment and think about this....if they have the social security number then why in the heck can't they find the person if that are still living and paying taxes? All this it upsets me greatly.

A long time ago I was elected and served four years as a County Commissioner and did not seek re-election, I was too frustrated at the time and felt like I was spinning my wheels. In year two of serving I connected with the State Treasurer's office and got a list of all the people in my county that were owed money. I then spent several thousand dollars of my own money publishing the information in our local paper as an insert, listing all the names and how to get a refund from the state. I did not list the dollar amounts because I did not want to embarrass anyone. Regardless the total amount owed to the citizens of my county was over $1.5 million dollars and that was just monies held by the state.

I am currently working on a project to bring to light one pot of Federal monies owed to the citizens of my city and surrounding cities in an effort to try to get the money back to the people. I am manually pulling information from over 1600 pages. I'm not good with computers and the database I was able to download did not convert into a spreadsheet that I could work with. Regardless, my guess is the impact will be well over a million dollars owed back to folks in my area.

It is just the right thing to do! I'm not getting paid to do this and in fact there are companies that do this for a profit but why should people have to pay to get THEIR money back? Wish me luck!

Hopefully someone on RealCent will find a little pocket change when they do their own search!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Finding Money Your Lost.....Please read!

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:59 pm

I had forgotten about a Upromise account I started for my son when he was born in MA. State of NY now tells me I'll be getting a check (perhaps a few hundred) in around 15 days or so. TY CC, not the first time I've taken advantage and found such funds.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Great news....come on Realcent members. I know there has to be more that is owed monies!
Copper Catcher

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:02 pm

A state I used to live in owes me over $100 on something - they didn't disclose what, why or exactly how much, but I'm sending in some paperwork!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Boy am I going to have a story in about 90 days!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:03 pm

That is two....I know there has to be more! :thumbup:
Copper Catcher

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Nothing from me, though it always surprises me (not the first time I've looked for my name but still surprising) that so many have the same name when I've only met one other person with my same first/last name in my life.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 pm

also nothing for me either
dakota1955

Postby knibloe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 pm

My mom has three claims. :clap:
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:20 pm

My brother too
and another sister in law
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby cjlive2000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 am

I had a claim around 30.00 but hey didn't even know it. thankss
cjlive2000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:24 pm

My deceased grandfather has between $100-$1000. I just told my dad so he could go after it.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 pm

nothing for me :(
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby hobo finds » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm

My dad is on the list, also a grandmother that has passed. We will have to look into it.

Also my brother in laws parents who have passed away as well

Thanks
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Told my friend about this and his deceased mother and grandfather are on it, his sisters told him that its some kind of scam! I told him to look into it and I did not think it was a scam
hobo finds

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 pm

beauanderos wrote:nothing for me :(

I already typed in your name and claimed all the money. :twisted:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Treasury direct link may be broken
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

I will check on the links....I am really glad folks are finding some money! :thumbup:
Copper Catcher

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:39 pm

I did that several years ago and found $6,000 in tax refunds that were confiscated from my wife's ex, that the state was holding. I have found money from a few relatives as well.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:20 am

Great thread and great idea. I've got a couple possible items, but the amounts weren't disclosed yet. I'll provide a further update once I receive something.

One little tip- if possible, don't type your SS# on your computer. Print out the form first and write the SS# on it by hand. The less that number is on your computer, the better (from an ID theft standpoint).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:52 pm

So, apparently I overpaid on my insurance, and after several years, the insurer sent the balance to the state of Missouri: Over $900! And we really really needed it this month! Thanks for posting this!
Attachments
Mocheck.jpg
Mocheck.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 am

Should have taken a pic but, mine was for about $200. Not as much as I thought but better than the proverbial poke in the eye. Thanks again.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Good way to start a New Year.
Copper Catcher

Postby justoneguy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:46 pm

All 3 of my adult children ,
and my brother,
But not me. :evil:
Now I have to get them to try to collect!
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:23 pm

So my friend is getting $5418.00
hobo finds

Next

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About