I Can't Find My baling wire!/Things you can't live without

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

I Can't Find My baling wire!/Things you can't live without

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm

I have/had a roll I bought for 2 bucks at a garage sale years ago and lost it.

I had no idea how much I actually use it until I can't find it. Duct tape sits for weeks.

Where is my damn wire!

What little tool or product would you miss. What small all purpose item do you depend on?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: I Can't Find My baling wire!/Things you can't live witho

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Toilet paper, followed by kleenex and paper towels.

2-part epoxy

chlorine bleach (in Florida, can't keep the mold/mildew down without it)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby knibloe » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:39 pm

68Camaro wrote:Toilet paper, followed by kleenex and paper towels.

2-part epoxy

chlorine bleach (in Florida, can't keep the mold/mildew down without it)

Have you ever tried pool algaecide for the mold/mildew? Chlorine evaporates and the yuck starts growing again. The quat in the algaecide stays behind and gives residual protection
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

My parents have a house that is in a perpetual state of renovation, my house is partially gutted and undergoing major basement work, my dad and I have been helping out a neighbor with some household repairs, my parents purchased an empty house next to the shop that we have all been pitching in to fix up, and of course we have the shop. So hand tools and power tools and materials are NEVER where you need them.

Even before all that though, nobody in the family can hold onto a tape measure. I swear between my dad and myself and the shop we must own 20 tape measures. But can I find one when I need one? Of course not.
natsb88

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:05 am

68Camaro wrote: . . . 2-part epoxy . . .

Epoxy can be cured for those who suffer. :lol:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:54 am

johnbrickner wrote:
68Camaro wrote: . . . 2-part epoxy . . .

Epoxy can be cured for those who suffer. :lol:

:oops: I laughed harder than I should have.

Nate wins.....tape measure. I have tape measures everywhere.....and it seems nowhere at the same time. The Wife is always hunting a cell charger and we have enough of them to rewire the house with.

Something I know where to find and use frequently: Heavy single strand copper wire. It has great memory and can be twisted into all sorts of great easy to use shapes and loops to hold something together, prop up a object while paint dries, secure a box fan, ect......
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 am

My air compressor went down with a bad bearing taking the connecting rod with it...Never really realized how much I use the compressed air. For months I agonized over replacing it, even was at the checkout but decided not to pay the big bucks to replace it several times. Finally ordered the parts and fixed it...$65.00 vs $1400 shoulda been a no-brainer but I really wanted a new compressor....but very happy my old one is up and running.

My 12" crescent wrench can dang near take anything apart and put it back together again.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Carried a pocket knife since I was about 5 and if it ain't in my pocket I don't go out.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 pm

First pocket knife I ever owned was the first Christmas gift I ever received from my in-laws. Never left my pocket, even swam with it a few times. Owned it twenty years, lost it shortly after my divorce. Miss that knife.
Rather have my ex back though.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deenz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:28 am

My leatherman. I had had mine for years and bought them for all of the guys in my wedding party. It's a fantastic tool/knife.
deenz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:09 am

My wallet, keys, phone (reflection of my age?) and the fanny pack I wear when I work athletic events. That pack has everything I need in a pinch including a Leatherman or two, LED light, roll of tape (you can make shoe laces for cleats with cloth tape,) etc.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:58 am

Things that would be hard to live without:

My car
Air conditioning and heating (maybe if I moved to coastal California this would be different)
The internet (including this site)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:47 pm

My hat.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:25 pm

a bag with a toothbrush and a comb
hobo finds