Small animals

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Small animals

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:33 pm

O.K. I used to have a farmette. 3 1/2 acres which included a 50 x 60 barn with concrete floor. Raised lots of things. Rabbits, chicken, sheep, pigs, ducks.
Now I'm a city resident but missing the country. Really ready to try small animals again. Any raising rabbits in city? Any raising domestic rats or mice for reptiles? Feasible or profitable?
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Small animals

Postby Treetop » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:17 pm

I had rabbits when I still lived in town. Knew a guy back in ohio years ago as a teen who raised rats as food for reptiles. He didnt make much but always had food for his own reptiles. If I were you I might look at the local rabbit and guinea pig trade though, through craigslist or another source. Where I live both sell for 25-50 or more depending on what variety they are, and if you set up well its easy to produce them with little work and much less of a cost then that. I knew a guy online on a forum I used to go on that sold pet rabbits as a retired guy and supplemented his income steadily. He said you cant make money selling them as dog food anymore apparently that used to work, not cost effective anymore but he still had solid margins in the pet bracket. Chickens and others can work for that also but not sure if youd be able to breed them in a city locale, shouldnt have an issue in many cities with rabbits or guinea pigs though.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Small animals

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:08 pm

There is (was?) a christian outfit in Florida that provided information on farming and livestock raising for 3rd world countries. They had a lot of useful stuff, including how to raise coturnix quail in small areas. (That sort of quail is also called "Japanese quail", but a web search on that term is likely to take you to sites that advertise japanese children for sex.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About