Rising Costs of living

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Rising Costs of living

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Curious to know if it's just me or are others seeing price inflation at the grocery store?
I know eggs are rising, however it seems that there is a significant rise in general prices at the checkout. I have been shopping at off brand stores and they are up as well.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Rising Costs of living

Postby TXBullion » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Just make a bit more cash and it all evens out :)
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Yes, going up. Inflation is at least twice the official rate. Unemployment (as figured for nations without unemployment insurance) is between 35% and 50%. Unemployment for young urban blacks is over 50%.

Wages are not keeping up with inflation. No how, no way.

We are in a depression with inflation creeping up toward the "runaway" zone, IMO.

I think all running for Prez are meddlers. We need someone to trim back on gov't. Otherwise, the only way out is through the bottom. The more the system gets patched up, the deeper the bottom goes.

I dislike the current situation.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Curious to know if it's just me or are others seeing price inflation at the grocery store?
I know eggs are rising, however it seems that there is a significant rise in general prices at the checkout. I have been shopping at off brand stores and they are up as well.

food costs are whats hurting my budget the most

and if the price is the same or if the item is even on sale, its usually a smaller package :roll:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:21 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Curious to know if it's just me or are others seeing price inflation at the grocery store?

Yes! And eating healthy is especially taking it on the chin. The biggest hit for me has been fruit. A 3-pound bag of clementine oranges has gone from $3.99 to $6.99...when they're available at all. Earlier this spring whole seedless watermelon was 39 cents a pound, now it's never under 59 cents.

Yet the junk stays cheap. Two-liter bottles of pop are routinely $1-1.50 with cheese doodle-type snacks in the same range.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 pm

coindood wrote:
Yes! And eating healthy is especially taking it on the chin. The biggest hit for me has been fruit. A 3-pound bag of clementine oranges has gone from $3.99 to $6.99...when they're available at all. Earlier this spring whole seedless watermelon was 39 cents a pound, now it's never under 59 cents.

Yet the junk stays cheap. Two-liter bottles of pop are routinely $1-1.50 with cheese doodle-type snacks in the same range.

grow a fair bit of it yourself. minimal effort for window gardens, you can collect year round if done right
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 pm

rsk1963 wrote:grow a fair bit of it yourself. minimal effort for window gardens, you can collect year round if done right

Urban apartment living makes that all but impossible. :(
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 pm

TXBullion wrote:Just make a bit more cash and it all evens out :)

If you have this attitude, you have a better chance of being happy.

One thing I've noticed is used freezers are REALLY cheap.
Work the sales. Yes anything fresh and healthy is expensive but worth the spread against crap.

A pack of 8 hotdogs is cheap, but does more harm than good. You are actually wasting your money because the cheap crap food has ZERO value to our body. If you want cheap food, then beans and rice is healthy and cheap.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Even just growing a few things can save alot of money. We use lots of tomatoe products, (sauce and kethcup) and they are easy to grow. Its a weed really. We save alot with berries also. Both were easy and cheap to grow and saved alot. Dont forget stone fruits are easy from seed. Plums, peaches nectarines. You cant fail with plums most anywhere in my experience. (which includes knowing people all over the place) If you know something was grown in the same growing zone as you it should work fine and give desirable results by the age of 7 or so. Lots of other things to grow also of course but even just a few key things can save good money. If its about cash grow things you actually use. I see so many get into it to save money then they grow stuff they wont use much.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About