pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby pitw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Living poor means using the resources available to you. With 4H my wife will be traveling to Ottawa for a few days and my youngest lad will be heading to Nova Scotia this summer on an exchange trip with a clu from over there. This same 4H club is a way for the family to have a network to find stuff and Donny found this on the last farm tour.

He is a true farm dog as he wants not to come inside.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Looks like he (or she) knows what's going on. Nice looking dog!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Farm dogs have the best lives. Plenty of room to run!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Living poor means eating junk food that others don't get. Like today we decided we wanted a turkey for tomorrow so we now have a 40lb bird to cook and eat. 4 people should dispose of this nicely. I really shouldn't feel sorry for myself I suppose.

The poor kid is 6'4" and eats more than three grown men.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Living poor means looking after your own problems and making a few extra bucks while doing so just makes it sweeter.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am

The 15 year old has figured out how to get nice things like this hand made quilt[built by a 73 year old neighbor] for cheap. The lad was in at a our local hall to a womens event where he bought a five dollar ticket to support the lady's endeavors. They picked his name from the hat and he got.

When open it is

The really cool thing is the lady said she would build him a blue one if he wanted but he declined saying, "{L} I might find a girl someday".
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:30 pm

or have a baby girl....nice
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:22 am

Being poor allows one to do stupid stuff that actually saves money and at the same time get basically free, great food. Well we used pork to make up a few batch's of sausage last eve. Made 25 lbs of fresh breakfast sausage and 20 lbs of honey garlic rolls plus 10 pounds of straight garlic rolls[these last 2 have the cure in them and will be smoked and cooked so we can just eat them as we want]. Also used moose meat on the coiled sausage and for 10 lbs of the breakfast fare. Went with a 50/50 mixture this time around. Cool part of doing this nonsense ourselves is we can experiment lots.

Lad grinding near frozen meat.

15lbs of pure pork goodness.

Lass loading casing on the horn.

Lad mixing spices and such in ice water.[Cold is good]

Both lads mixing the near frozen meat with the spices. Sure was fun listening to them [female canine] about cold hands.

Making links of fresh sausage with a stuffer that works fairly well. Young fellas found out they was only thinking they were the boss.

Rolls of garlic sausage in the smoker. Always amazes me how the curing agents change the color of the meat.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Today I got a call from a fellow 16 miles away who asked if I needed a calf as he had heard I buy some. Drove over and he had a 3 week old Simmental steer calf from a cow that had a Csection and the dang cow had walked to close to a barbed wire fence which ripped the stitch's open. Cow got to unhealthy to feed her calf and the fellow was sick of bottling him as he also has 6 sets of twins so didn't need this one to put on any who lose theirs. $400 was his asking price and I quickly forked that over for.

So now the lad has his next year 4H project calf[prepping for the future].

The really great thing about this deal was I noticed driving to his yard that he had an old 5 wheel side delivery rake and when I asked if he was ever going to sell it would he please call me. He said,"Do you want a square baler too?". Well it turns out the baler is a model newer than the one I use and I got them both for a grand. I like a good day.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:13 pm

We raised 4H steers as well, pitw, I consider this one of the best threads on the internet. LOVE it!!!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby pitw » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Thank you. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:46 pm

pitw wrote:Living poor means looking after your own problems and making a few extra bucks while doing so just makes it sweeter.

It is hard to tell from the photo. Was that a skunk in the cage?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Treetop » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:18 pm

looks like two rabbits making babies to me.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 93 Octane » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Compared to whitetail and beef what does moose taste like
93 Octane

Postby pitw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 am

93 Octane wrote:Compared to whitetail and beef what does moose taste like

The meat is much leaner than beef. It is the best meat from any ungulates to our way of liking meat as none of the tallowy texture of a deer. When the wife is having family in for a meal she prefers moose as the meat of choice as they all like it. We try to shoot young cows that have not calved or a calf which give the best quality of meat[in my opinion]. If I was given the choice of a Good quality cut from either moose or beef I'd have to toss a coin to decide which one I'd pick at the time. For sausage I'll pick moose with pork trimmings every time.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Gonna be tough for any animal to beat the quality of meat we will get from this calf.

No growth hormones, organically fed and a brother to the calf he won the district 4H carcass calf division with last year. I can already smell him cooking over an open fire. :shock:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 93 Octane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Venison is definitely an acquired taste unless you have guidance from someone that knows how to cook it , , very strong if grilled or baked without the proper pre-planning....elk on the other hand is downright great with only salt / pepper on the grill
93 Octane

Postby pitw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Elk can be totally awesome and would have won my top meat except that it has never been consistently good across the whole range of animals. Moose is near always good but older critters can be tougher than wang leather.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 93 Octane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Staying on moose, rented a bike in Seattle and cruised to the Idaho border and back over course of couple days as wasnt in a particular hurry , on way back just outside Pullman, WA spotted a moose in a field about 100 yards from road and pulled over to watch it in total awe...you really can't grasp how big and graceful they are until viewed somewhat up close...after 10 minutes he started walking towards me and I got out of there as they can cover a lot of ground quickly . . . will never forget that
93 Octane

Postby pitw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:12 pm

One can look at pic's of them beasts all day but as you say it's up close and personal when they get huge.

Elk as well are much bigger in person.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Thank you pitw for starting this thread and continuing to post in it. It has been a pleasure to read. Very interesting stuff. Have a good one!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:37 am

Chief wrote:Thank you pitw for starting this thread and continuing to post in it. It has been a pleasure to read. Very interesting stuff. Have a good one!

reading this thread a few times a month feels like reading the Foxfire books a grew up with as a kid, and I loved sooo much.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 pm

frugi wrote:
Chief wrote:Thank you pitw for starting this thread and continuing to post in it. It has been a pleasure to read. Very interesting stuff. Have a good one!

reading this thread a few times a month feels like reading the Foxfire books a grew up with as a kid, and I loved sooo much.

That is totally interesting to me as I had never heard of the foxfire books until I went to KY in '09 for a coyote hunt. One of the fellows there brought me one of the books cause I reminded him of them and he thought I may like it. I read it cover to cover a few times and have since found 3 others for my collection.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Yep have had the foxfire books since the first release. What a great study in the ways of the pioneers.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rosco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Picked up Several Foxfire books a book sale prices good reads
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About