pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Really cool seeing the soap being made. In the upper glass portion of my mom's pie-safe is a block of soap that her mother made when they were kids (they would do it in an old cast-iron bathtub) -- now I have a visual to go along with that nice little family heirloom.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 am

Ain't been doing much up here but work the last month except making old trucks run by stealing parts off other old trucks. Seems my youngest lad has been paying attention to what I do to live poorly. Other day I got a call from a farmer who lives 30 some miles from us and he asked if it was my boy he had met in an old 70's style truck, and if it was, I was to have the lad call him.
Well Donny called Skip and took off running to hook up to a trailer and gone. :shock: Seems Skip had a couple 77's he didn't want and Donny could have them for the hauling. A couple hours later Don was back with this

Little bum didn't even have the truck unloaded before he changed out the grille halves to make his whole again. He also found another fellow with 3 of these old trucks who gave them to him for removal. The lad will haul all but one of them home for either fixing up or parts as he has already sold one for $1000 and has the job of putting tires on it for the buyer for another $150. He will also sell parts to this other person, so it seems he has started his own small business just by being cheap. :clap: . Sounds like he wants to surround the market as he asked if I wanted to go 300 miles away to look at another he found but I'm kinda/sorta digging in me heels about this one. :roll:

We also have 22 Turkey eggs and 41 chicken eggs that we put in the incubator that will start hatching shortly if the Tom and rooster are any good.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 26, 2017 1:02 am

Very impressive- I must admit!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pitw » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Second one home.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Fri May 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Always getta kick outta how these show up in the mail.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri May 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Wow. Just spent the last who-knows-how-long reading this entire thread. Absolutely fantastic sir! When I started reading it I didn't know if it was current, or if someone resurrected an old thread. Getting to a current post was like realizing there is going to be another season of your favorite show, hehe. Please keep it up.

Now, I'm a gun guy, (see thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125 ) and your past post about guns intrigued me.... What is your preference for protection while your out working the farm? What do you and your boys use for the moose? I have a plethora of guns questions, being that you are obviously an owner of numerous firearms and I would imagine have full knowledge of your country's gun laws. But I will not hijack this fantastic thread with them.

Again, keep up the posts please.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby pitw » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 pm

NotABigDeal, Thank you for the kind words[nice to know someone actually reads my drivel]. As for protection while working I carry my mind and it don't work all the time. There is nothing dangerous here where I live that I feel the need to pack additional weight to protect me[and I don't want additional weight while trying to outrun my fatter friends]. For the moose my boys and I use the mighty .243 and the Elk, deer and coyotes too. My daughter wanted more firepower so stepped up to the 25-06 which blows hell outta all the game. Most of my firearms now are either old muzzle loaders, 22's or junk. The gun laws up here kinda/sorta suck but are easy to live with out here.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Little bum got number 3 today. I got enlisted to drive him over and help get it running. That was easy as the fellow had it ready to roll when we got there :thumbup: . 390 with a f'n automatic. Runs like a dream and handles our gravel roads way better than my 95. Only thing we found wrong so far is no signal lights and the passenger door handle on the inside don't work well[the lad knows how to fix that as I've given him lots of experience :roll: ].
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am

That's awesome! And yes, plenty of us follow this thread!!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rum3002576 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm

i always look forward to what you post next. you lead a very interesting life style and i enjoy reading about it. thanks
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:17 pm

I always look forward to reading anything new on this thread, keep the posts coming!

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:26 am

If you want a free light show, go out of an evening/night when the firefly's are giving er. :clap:
It's cloudy tonight and we had a small shower, so at midnight I went four miles North to see if they were out yet. Not in full flare yet but enough to make an hour of my time pass at near light speed as I watched a few hundred make a commercial light show look dim. These things have amazed me for as long as I can remember and I had to chuckle when my now 16 year old showed up to enjoy them too. I'd love to show you pics but that is impossible with my photog skills :roll: , seeing them live can not be reproduced anyway as the sounds associated are a part of the experience.
Poor don't mean there ain't wonders to enjoy. 8-)
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 am

No fireflys here (the #$%^ "lovebugs" here are similar in their flying behavior but without the visual benefit of the light show). But my teen years in the midwest US, fireflys were a favorite summer thing. Came out at dusk. A great memory, thanks!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am

Has anyone ever driven through a swarm of them at night.

When they splatter on the windshield, that"s a light show.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby pitw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 am

Thogey wrote:Has anyone ever driven through a swarm of them at night.

When they splatter on the windshield, that"s a light show.

That would be cool as [L]. I keep thinking some other critter should have evolved to lock in on the lights to eat. :idea:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 am

Hey PITW, have you thought of having a reality TV show film you? Your life would make for an interesting TV show. And I understand that Vancouver, which has lots of talent available, isn't that far away.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Hey PITW, have you thought of having a reality TV show film you? Your life would make for an interesting TV show. And I understand that Vancouver, which has lots of talent available, isn't that far away.

I will bet you 1.00 that pitw would rather rub the back of his legs with a cheese grater, than be filmed for reality show.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby pitw » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:59 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Hey PITW, have you thought of having a reality TV show film you? Your life would make for an interesting TV show. And I understand that Vancouver, which has lots of talent available, isn't that far away.

It's about 800 miles to Vancouver and you are right, it is toooooooooooooo close.
As for a reality show, I couldn't imagine. :shock: After I had killed a few camera men[and did whatever to the camera women] and was forced to annihilate adoring fans I'm thinking I'd have a few Govt type people to contend with too. :evil: Could you imagine the trouble you wou have with good looking women who wanted to get laid just to say they did :roll: . That would be so boring. :lol: The things I get to see and do are not totally unique but are fun none the less. The fact I have more room to do it all than most is great for me. If someone saw it and decided to move in on my turf there would have to be turf war, not that I'm scared of the war but it's just easier to leave well enough alone.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

pitw wrote:Little bum got number 3 today. I got enlisted to drive him over and help get it running. That was easy as the fellow had it ready to roll when we got there :thumbup: . 390 with a f'n automatic. Runs like a dream and handles our gravel roads way better than my 95. Only thing we found wrong so far is no signal lights and the passenger door handle on the inside don't work well[the lad knows how to fix that as I've given him lots of experience :roll: ].

grew up/learned to drive in a couple 79's

fond memories of trying to hold on to those little side fold down seats in the back while checking cattle :lol:

used a regular cab as a feed pickup until about 2009

lots of them still in use around here as coyote wagons

great pickups
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:53 am

Yesterday we were running one sprayer and my lad got his butt kicked into it. I went to check crops we had done earlier and came upon a half mile of canola across the road from a huge gopher pasture. Them friggin gophers were chewing off everything within 100-200 yds of the road. I didn't have permission but I had a couple bricks of shells and an hour and a half. An hour and about a brick of shells later a pickup pulls up and the fellow comes walking over to me to ask, "You know who's land this is?". I replied I did and that he was renting and I didn't figure he'd be to choked at me for trying to save him a few hundred bushels of canola. He laughed and watched me hit the next seven shot's in a row. He then ask's how many shot's I've fired and I show him the near empty box of Remington's, he ask's how much they cost and I said depends where you buy them. He pulls out his wallet and tells me to take the two $100 bills to buy more shells and to hunt gophers any where on his farm, after which he asked if I sprayed as good as I shoot. I told him better as I never missed spraying so he then ask's if I wanna spray 600 acres of the canola on Wednesday. This fellow has never used me before and has known about me for over 20 years so I guess I'll thank gopher shooting for the $3,500 job.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:00 pm

pitw wrote:Yesterday we were running one sprayer and my lad got his butt kicked into it. I went to check crops we had done earlier and came upon a half mile of canola across the road from a huge gopher pasture. Them friggin gophers were chewing off everything within 100-200 yds of the road. I didn't have permission but I had a couple bricks of shells and an hour and a half. An hour and about a brick of shells later a pickup pulls up and the fellow comes walking over to me to ask, "You know who's land this is?". I replied I did and that he was renting and I didn't figure he'd be to choked at me for trying to save him a few hundred bushels of canola. He laughed and watched me hit the next seven shot's in a row. He then ask's how many shot's I've fired and I show him the near empty box of Remington's, he ask's how much they cost and I said depends where you buy them. He pulls out his wallet and tells me to take the two $100 bills to buy more shells and to hunt gophers any where on his farm, after which he asked if I sprayed as good as I shoot. I told him better as I never missed spraying so he then ask's if I wanna spray 600 acres of the canola on Wednesday. This fellow has never used me before and has known about me for over 20 years so I guess I'll thank gopher shooting for the $3,500 job.

Every time I read this thread I learn something new and get a good chuckle to boot!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:27 pm

How many man hours does it take to spray 600 acres of canola? (By the way I was in the Vancouver area- Vancouver and North Vancouver- I know you are in the next province, but at least I was within several hundred miles) a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.)

Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:04 am

Recyclersteve wrote:How many man hours does it take to spray 600 acres of canola? (By the way I was in the Vancouver area- Vancouver and North Vancouver- I know you are in the next province, but at least I was within several hundred miles) a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.)

I average about 100 acres/hour when I get to a farm if the going is decent. The lad got those 600 done in 7 hours and I got to shoot a whack more gophers. I won't go to Vancouver but am glad you enjoyed it. I'm a prairie dweller who mostly[read completely] dislikes cities and large amounts of people.
Had to chuckle last evening as I took bills to customers and one of them who I had left an empty brick of 22 shells with his containers actually paid me for the shells I shot too. :thumbup:

Another good part of living poor is truck buying. :shifty: :shifty:

If one buys a new truck it comes with the new truck smell which goes away rapidly which makes the truck worth less everyday. On the other hand resurrecting an old truck it comes with the musty, mouse etc... smells and every day you drive it the smell gets less making it nicer and worth more. :wave: :wave:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 am

Living poor mean's learning to enjoy life's free good things. Like the smell of hundreds of acres of fresh cut hay. There has been more hay cut around me in the last three days than I've ever seen before and the smell is just plain pleasant.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:09 pm

It's a good thing you don't have allergies or hay fever.

Recyclersteve

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About