pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:01 am

Glad to see a new post. Wasn't sure if winter ate you up, hehe. Looking forward to more.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 am

Glad to see another post, been too long!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 am

It is nice to see a post like yours from north of the border. For those who are just reading the last part of this thread, you might want to go back and look at some of the photos from earlier posts. There is some really cool stuff on this thread.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 am

Remember this pic with the '86 in the back ground?

Well it took a bit and a few parts from my line up of parts but I got her to where I'd drive across Canada with her. It needed a different rear gas tank which we took off an 84 and with much fiddly Fn got the little plastic tube to allow air out properly when filling in the right place. Then we put a set of rear springs from an '88 on her as well as new shocks[these damb things just ain't a reusable item]. Someone had put a starter on the truck from one with an automatic transmission which is just a tad different so they had washers for spacers to make it fit[good to know for an emergency], so we changed the end of the starter from a scrap one we had in the pile and it works fine now. It had two issues that together damb near made me bald, a weak fuel pump and an ignition switch that when turned to start would turn over the engine but not allow power to the spark plugs. An old 80 I swear didn't have parts left donated the switch and we took a pump off an engine that had got to wore to work well. All the dash lights but one were burnt out so the same truck that donated the fuel tank gave us it's lights which make driving at night a mite nicer. The tires were junk but I managed to find an '86 with brand new tires and rims for $500 but it was further away than the first three trucks. A buddy went with to drive my truck home while I drove the new one, boys I can say I ain't never heard a rear end squeal like this one :shock: , driving it through that town every body turned to stare :lol: . I figured any distance it made it was less I needed to drag it so away I went and the bud said he could hear me from a mile back and that SOB drove that way all the way at 60mph. Took the tires off and the lad sold the truck to a fellow in our town for a tough truck contest for $600 :thumbup: . Took sun visors outta the 80 as well so now they don't hang down and work well.
The other day I was in at the serve BSing with the guys when a fellow showed up in a '19 F350 loaded to the nuts and he was prouder than a peacock telling us it only cost $90,000 :shock: :shock: :shock: , I said mine was new to me too. He asked why I would buy a piece of junk like that for. My answer was, "To start with I can buy 450 of mine for one of yours" , everyone but the proud dude laughed.
Oh yeah the '95 in the original post is still running fine with the only problem being a broken spring and and cable for adjusting the rear left brake which are the same as the 80's trucks so parts were no issue and my youngest is super good with brakes. He's also driving the 95 while we look for another rear end for his 77.
Living poor can be fun. :wave:

pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:35 am

Being poor means ya look after your own problems.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:14 am

Hehe. From a distance....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

NotABigDeal

Postby pitw » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Well I guess a person can pass on the traits of living poor.LOL Got done smoking hams night before last and the bacon was absolutely scrumptious. My youngest[18] helped the most by far and he also managed to sell a bunch of parts off a couple of my junkers after wrapping yesterday. He sold a fender and front clip off an '80 that I swore 5 years ago didn't have any more useful parts. Paid $100 for that damb truck like 20 years ago and with the $120 the lad got last eve I'd say we have sold $1,000 worth of parts plus all the other ones we used ourselves. Kid then tells me he has found two more 77's for free + the hauling and he has orders for parts off them as well. Then this morning oldest child a girl showed up with her kid which she dropped off for me to watch while she went and did some business, so the 3 year old now knows what skunk claws, snout and fur looks like, + he stinks a bit :shock: . Girl came home and started changing the oil in her vehicle and then changed a light bulb for her right rear brake light. Seems that teaching them to save a buck means as much as earning one really works. :thumbup: Now I gotta put a new ham in the oven for supper as she said she is gonna eat it all. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:10 pm

I sincerely mean this (in a good way)- Living Poor would be a GREAT reality TV show. I'd certainly watch it. I can imagine it being on the National Geographic channel. I know you probably wouldn't like becoming famous, but the money you could make...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:30 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I sincerely mean this (in a good way)- Living Poor would be a GREAT reality TV show. I'd certainly watch it. I can imagine it being on the National Geographic channel. I know you probably wouldn't like becoming famous, but the money you could make...

Steve, really appreciate that but there would be a few problems. First would be the money, you see some of the stupidest people I've ever met were rich, some of them can't do anything for themselves cause they never had too.
If you were to study a group of rich people and a group of poor people I'm betting the poor ones would be the ones having more fun. The rich ones would be jealously guarding their valuables, living in a gated community[where someone else tells you what you can do], they would be the ones who would cheat to try and get their kids in better schools instead of letting their offspring figure out how to make their own way in life[which is fun]. Rich folk miss out on sooooooooo many of the little pleasures in life cause they just pay for someone to do things for them[the doing of things can be great fun].
Poor folk don't worry about their neighbors stealing stuff cause we ain't got nothing worth stealing and if we did we would lend it to them anyway. They don't worry about the stock market[unless they actually have an extra beef to sell]. Poor folk will help each other with about any project as that is how we get through life. Poor folk get to think and dream about something nice and when they get it, man does it mean something. Poor folk find a treasure they can use nearly everyday and that means everyday they get the good feeling.
As for famous that would just plain suck. Imagine if you will having some stupid SOB coming up every third minute of your day wanting a selfie or worse. Having a security detail making more noise on a deer stalk than a high school band. Someone watching every move you make so they can plaster it on some media outlet. It could be fun in that one could say the most outrageous stuff and folk would take it for gospel just cause.

The reality is I live this way cause it's fun and just like cutting up meat is fun, doing it for a living would be work. I'd sooner have fun than work :lol: I did get lucky with my spraying career as I truly do love driving around huge tracts of land just to see what's there and maybe find a trinket or three.

Oh yeah, the brown sugar we injected in the hams didn't really do much so I suppose we may try more next time. Hams were great though.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 am

Well said about fame and fortune. I have a couple of very well off friends. They are very down to earth, but they have "new" money. They worked their way up to owning successful businesses from nothing. They can appreciate the money because they both come from very little of it. They are very generous and one of them travels to disaster areas to volunteer and donate/gather supplies.

As far as fame, not for me either, hehe.

Keep up the posts man, they're great.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

NotABigDeal

Postby pitw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 am

Bobby went to check fences on a pasture 1/4 and got paid in a more unusual way yesterday.

At $15 a pound this would be worth a few bucks but he says it's gonna be a hat rack in his house for now.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Todd the goose from earlier in this thread has come back again this spring. Truly amazing to me.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 am

That's cool man. A yearly visitor. Animals don't forget....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

NotABigDeal

Postby Treetop » Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 pm

My grand parents get a few ducks every easter and raise them in a pool in their yard. They always fly away. Probably every other year 1 or more of them come back for a visit to the kiddie pool of their youth.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 pm

Living poor means learning to stretch stuff to fit your needs. Take this past weekend when I went with 2 18 year olds fishing. I showed them how to catch fish

And with careful care took in cleaning and cooking made it look like this before being consumed.

We took the 86 Ford from earlier in this thread that cost $200 and fella's she purred like a very content fat cat for the 1,000 kilometer round trip.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Amazing that a vehicle well over 30 years old would run so well on such a long trip. Always enjoy your posts. Keep them coming!

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:51 am

Sauteed in lemon-butter sauce with capers? Looks delicious!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Camaro them were fried in a half pound of butter and I squeeze fresh lemon on them before eating.[good guess, what's Sauteed?]

My lad caught a little fishy too.
41 inch's and 18.4 pounds

I liked fishing by the peanut gallery

Steve, I was not surprised at all that the old girl ran so well as we had a couple years to play with her. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Dang - that's a fish! Sauteed is a fancy name for pan fried, usually in butter, though I think typically in a quite a bit less than you used. :) Lemon butter sauce on fish is awesome!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Soooo many places to put this. Today I was doing my job when a small shower started threatening us. We shut down for what was gonna be a couple hours, so I grabbed a book I had bought at a garage sale a few weeks ago just for this kinda situation. I paid a quarter for the book on some black folk who had come to Alberta 100 years ago. Was reading and enjoying the pics from a century past when all of a sudden a crisp $100 bill slid out into my lap. Even books seem to know living poor can use a hand. :shock:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 pm

I bet I know what your favorite book is... :)

Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am

Was the note old, or something fairly new? That would be neat to find a really old note in an old book.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 am

It was one of the newer plastic notes. If I expire someone will find a few old notes in a couple old books.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm

pitw wrote:It was one of the newer plastic notes. If I expire someone will find a few old notes in a couple old books.

Just don’t use the books as firewood kindling on those cold Canadian nights!

Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Wife just came in saying ol' cranky pants has one chick hatched. She's an old small hen that went clucky and got eight eggs cause she was small. Little girls won't lay for a spell but fresh eggs later won't matter. I'll try and get a pic of them tomorrow.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About