pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby pitw » Fri May 08, 2020 12:26 pm

I got a pic and forgot to post it of them tomato's starting to grow.

Never gonna say this is the way to do it but the 4 year old now knows it can be done. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Sun May 10, 2020 1:11 pm

pitw wrote:I got a pic and forgot to post it of them tomato's starting to grow.

Never gonna say this is the way to do it but the 4 year old now knows it can be done. :thumbup:

Do you save seed? If so its arguably the best way to do it. You can select for the quickest and best producers, which over time can give you a nice boost in a place with a short season especially. Sure you can do the same thing with more spread out plants but then you need a bunch more pots or whatever space you are using.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am

Yes we do save seeds from certain vegs such as cucumber, tomats and peas. This tomato experiment was mostly just to show a 4 year old to think outside the box. He really enjoys the garden so I want him to learn as much as he can while his mind is still working like a sponge.
Planted 50 hills of yellow spuds yesterday[I should have said the wife and her helpers planted] and this morning it was 22F out so will be another week or two before any of the started plants will hit the dirt.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Just like they said the chicks would show up on the 21st and I still get a kick outta picking up the mail and listening to them peep on the way home. Cool damp morning but they all came out alive and we got 4 extra birds for the loss in transit thingy.

4 year olds love this day as much as those of us much, much older.

They appear to like their new home so far.

I really wish every body could do this as it is a learning experience that you really can't learn how to do any other way. The 19 year old is in charge of the chicks for today and the he has to look after the 4 year old nephew as well. He already decided it was to cool and added a plastic roof to make a smaller space to heat cause it is so cool out.[color me impressed]

Living poor don't mean there isn't any entertainment. :thumbup:

Oh and a couple days ago we saved some money by doing our own animal damage control. :D
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 23, 2020 1:37 am

Hey pitw:

I don’t know how many times you have crossed the border into the U.S. I’m curious- have you ever been to Coeur ‘d Alene, Idaho. If not, it is an absolutely gorgeous area.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pitw » Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Was only in Idaho a small ways just to say I had been there. Spent a week around Libby Mt. I tend to stay away from cities.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:52 pm

Earlier I told ya all about Todd the goose, well she came back again this spring and hatched 5 goslings. :thumbup: I am truly amazed how she don't get shot and how she always finds her way back to the same yard. :shock:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:59 am

pitw wrote:Earlier I told ya all about Todd the goose, well she came back again this spring and hatched 5 goslings. :thumbup: I am truly amazed how she don't get shot and how she always finds her way back to the same yard. :shock:

Where is the daddy of those goslings?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 pm

He stands off aways in the yard too but doesn't come up for a pet or a chew. The SOB would certainly introduce himself if ya grabbed a gosling I'm sure.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm

pitw wrote:Earlier I told ya all about Todd the goose, well she came back again this spring and hatched 5 goslings. :thumbup: I am truly amazed how she don't get shot and how she always finds her way back to the same yard. :shock:

Lol, dont ask me how but most years my grandpa in ohio buys a few ducks and lets play in a little kiddy pool all summer. Almost all years a few of them make it back after flying south. Its pretty neat.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Lil update as we got some free bug dispatchers.

Funny how something as mundane as a few chicks can bring a smile to everyones face around here. Grandkid sits watching them far longer than most of his 4 year old activities.

Now I'll tell about my latest living poor experience. Couple days ago my sprayer trailer started dog tracking a mite after I crossed a rather rough bridge. So I called a trailer repair shop and was quoted $2,500 minimum to fix it without them even looking at it. My lads and 4 of their buddy's were out here evening before last and I asked if they would help fix it. They agreed and away they went to work[one even had his welding truck here] and changed 4 pins on the suspension. They figured that would do it but I said it wouldn't and was proven right on the test drive. So they asked what to do and I said look at it. Then I said look at from a certain point on both sides and they discovered the left front axle was back about an inch compared to the front right. I said take off the tires on that axle and my boys grumbled but did it and it didn't take long to discover the real issue which was rectified in 20 minutes and everything put back together. When asked how much I owed them the answer was "Sweet F all". I had a flat of beer that they destroyed and I bought another flat from my oldest that they destroyed while sitting about BSing. Total cost of fixing was 2 flats of beer and a very enjoyable 5 hours with young folk.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Fantastic story.

In the U.S. (in big metro areas anyway) all 5 guys would have driven separate vehicles to get to the repair site. After leaving to go home they would have all been stopped at the same DUI (Driving Under the Influence) checkpoint and all taken to jail. The cost to bail them all out would have exceeded $2,500. Moral of the story: Don’t move to the big city- especially now.

P.S. A moose won’t sue you for neglect.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Steve, I don't drink alcohol. These fellows all live within 6 miles of my home and know how to cut across country when needed.LOL I think it's maybe something they learned from their parents :thumbup: .

Took the sprayer for a 100 mile drive on the trailer today and she worked like new. Had a fellow from two provinces over[Manitoba] call me about a problem with his sprayer. I asked what it would be worth to him if I got it fixed for less than $5. He said he was willing to pay anyone $500 just to find what the problem was. I told him where to look for a fuse that some genius had hid like it was a 10 oz gold piece and he called me back 2 hours later just giggling [I could hear the sprayer running] and said that I was amazing. I think that was my payment. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm

Got mad at the world and went fishing with Wyatt and Donny. Wyatt agreed to hold fish for pics as he took the front seat. Kinda fun having them young flunkies drive the truck as I gotta see stuff I never got to before. Wyatt started off the first day with the little 12 pound pike we et for supper.

Then we[mostly I] got into some decent walleyes. I lost one at the boat that is possibly the biggest eye I've ever had on and boys I can tell you that was one of the most fun fights I've ever fought.

Then I caught a bubble head.

A few more for ya to look at including both lads that were fighting at the same time.

How they relaxed back at the dock.

Was a grand trip and cheap for the entertainment. The other old fart that went with doesn't fish much and Wyatt laughed a little to hard when he grabbed a jig head and put the tail on sideways. 4 casts later he pulled in a walleye that taught wyatt something.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 am

:thumbup:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Sanford02 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:22 pm

best thread on the internet.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pitw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm

With a heavy heart I gotta let you know the young lady who called me about the fire from earlier in the thread

pitw wrote:This morning I was just headed out the door to go spraying when the phone rang. Was the neighbor lady from 2 miles East and she were some excited. Seems there was a fire going outta control in their yard and headed for the new shop. I'm coming I yelled and ran out screaming at the boys as I went. Fired up the old KW and started backing outta the yard while holding the air brakes controller until it built up enough air so i didn't need too. Took off down the road and found out right away my governor works well in all the gears I hit. Pulled into their yard and Todd
came flying at the truck to attack. Stupid bird. I pulled to a stop as close the fire as possible and the boys had the hose from the trailer pump hooked to the truck and were adding the fire nozzle to the discharge hose too. One pull on the rope got 2,500 gallons of water headed in the right direction to slow the fire. That little blaze was no match for our water and the young couple were happier than pigs in pooh that we came. After watering down everything so he could control his burn for the day we went to see what the [L] was with Todd. Crazy bird likes to chaw on ya while you stare in wonder.

https://youtu.be/Z3G4LqsZU0w

When you live poor you depend on your neighbors and they depend on you. In fact out where I live we look after those we don't even like so we got someone to dislike.LOL

died from a heart attack in her bed night before last. 42 is far to young to be pulling this nonsense but as I told my wife the sun will come up again tomorrow. They had a 1/4 section of barley ready to cut for harvest and 7 machines showed up and cut it in a few hours yesterday. Today the community will gather all her garden produce and make pickles or whatever to store her food for the family.
I gotta admit I was impressed when the 3rd swather showed up as at it's helm was a neighbor who farms near 25,000 acres and he didn't send a hired hand but showed up himself cause it's that important to him. Rich and poor can make a community work if they all pull together.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm

That's awful - sorry to hear. Do they have children?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:57 am

68Camaro wrote:That's awful - sorry to hear. Do they have children?

She had a set of 20 year old twin girls and a 17 year old girl.
One of them people who would help anyone and never a bad word outta her.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:39 pm

Well I have now learned that being poor doesn't mean ya should not pay a barber at least once every year. For the fun of it I haven't had a hair cut since March of last year and I can tell ya it's a pain in the ass now. I shed like a damb long hair cat and have hair in my eyes all the time. It goes down past my chin which has one neat thing that happens. Occasionally while lighting a smoke a few hairs catch fire and it looks and sounds kinda/sorta cool as it burns up past my eyes. Really freaks out people sitting around a campfire at night.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:39 am

Ha! I haven't paid for a haircut in 12 years, but not because I'm growing it out (I have less and less hair every year, still some on top but if you take a photo at night with a flash all you get is the reflection off the dome! Lol)

I started getting some bad cuts (maybe because I got tired of paying higher prices at better cutters) and finally decided I could do better myself with clipper and attachments. A short learning curve and one mistake (when I wasn't paying attention I started to mow the top of my head with the wrong short attachment - caught the error quickly but had a short patch on my head for a couple of weeks). My wife is picky and the results are good enough she doesn't complain, and I reckon I've saved myself a couple thousand dollars so far and I can put that to better use elsewhere. Not to mention the savings in time and fuel to the cutter and back.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby hirbonzig » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm

I’ve been cutting my own hair for as long as I can remember. Been using a #1or2 guard and asking my daughter to help trim the back of the neck. As 68Camaro said it does save a lot of money over the years, money I can use for silver/gold and numismatic buys.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:02 pm

I cut my own hair (what is left of it). When the boys were growing up, I gave them two choices. 1. Mom can take you to the barber and we'll pay. 2. If you let us cut it, I paid them $5. Saved myself a lot of money.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:48 pm

We bought something for cutting hair called a Flowbee. My wife cut my hair and, without question, it was an ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE haircut. We both agreed on the poor results. No more Flowbee for me.

This living poor thread is one of the very best on this site!

Recyclersteve

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About