Solar Backup Generators

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Solar Backup Generators

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:03 am

Does anyone know much about solar backup generators? I've heard some ads for them on the radio.

I like the idea of not having to use gas or breathe toxic fumes. I have several questions:

What tips do you have on using them? If you have a portable unit, are they really as easy to maneuver as they seem?

Also, if anyone has one or has used one before, can you tell me how satisfied you are with what you used? If you had to do it over again, would you do things differently? Is there anyone you'd recommend either buying from or avoiding?

I am keeping in mind that Tesla said they'd have some kind of big announcement by the end of April. I've heard rumors (don't know where they came from) that it could be some kind of energy device for the home. I will wait until I dissect their announcement before making any final decisions.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Solar Backup Generators

Postby Saabman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:02 am

I don't know about these either but thanks for asking, as I am curious as well............
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

Not quite what you are looking for in an answer but this was my experience a few years back...when hurricane Ike came through Houston I ran a gasoline powered gen at my house and set up a homemade solar panel, 400w inverter and a car battery out of my '65 F100 for a friend at their apartment. That pieced together unit ran their fan, a light and the TV for a few hours in the evening to keep her comfortable...it worked for 4 days until the power came on.

I have looked at those kits and dang they are high dollar...

IMO for best results use all LEDs for lighting to reduce total light power consumption and the best deep cycle batteries you can buy/afford. Some of those solar designed batteries are 500 bucks or more.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:42 pm

I seem to remember hearing/seeing something about Tesla working on a battery breakthrough. Possibly from a stock tip to buy a couple of weeks to a month ago . . .

It was the battery factory they are building in NV I had read about last month. Heard about it on NPR back in January. Still thinking of battery breakthrough stock tip more recently . . .
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 am

johnbrickner wrote:I seem to remember hearing/seeing something about Tesla working on a battery breakthrough. Possibly from a stock tip to buy a couple of weeks to a month ago . . .

It was the battery factory they are building in NV I had read about last month. Heard about it on NPR back in January. Still thinking of battery breakthrough stock tip more recently . . .

I'm not sure if it's connected with Tesla, but someone finally figured out how to make an aluminum battery with better specs than lithium.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sat May 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Engineer wrote:
johnbrickner wrote:I seem to remember hearing/seeing something about Tesla working on a battery breakthrough. Possibly from a stock tip to buy a couple of weeks to a month ago . . .

I'm not sure if it's connected with Tesla, but someone finally figured out how to make an aluminum battery with better specs than lithium.

Nope, teslas still going to use the lithium ones. No breakthrough either, wishful thinking of various writers I guess. It will be the same batteries they already make for their cars. They expect a lower price point although still steep, but this is nothing new. His company that finances out solar panels will have these soon also, which might make them easier to get for some potentially. They plan a 7 and 10kwh unit, every 1 kWh can power about a full washing machine cycle or be used to boil a kettle 10 times apparently from whats been said. So really not that impressive, this isnt the battery the world has waited for.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 03, 2015 3:49 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I am keeping in mind that Tesla said they'd have some kind of big announcement by the end of April. I've heard rumors (don't know where they came from) that it could be some kind of energy device for the home. I will wait until I dissect their announcement before making any final decisions.

Ok so Tesla made their announcement. It appears their item (from what I can tell) will only work if you have solar panels on your roof. Also, it appears to weigh over 200# and doesn't appear to be portable at all. So good luck taking it with you on the road to a friend's house or remote hideaway.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 pm

No experience, but I've been paying attention off and on.

The solar panels are easy enough, they are about like sheets of plywood. They require electronics and a battery. See if the electronics you get require protection from the weather, and the battery can be out of a car, or still in a car.

Price is still too high for heavy use unless you are in a remote area and cannot get someone else to pay for part of stringing the wire to get on the grid (and I'm thinking you will be near the bottom of the list for people getting power back after a wind storm). Emergency use? Just fine.

Check with the HAM radio operators. They sometimes have field trips where they set up "emergency communications centers" out in the field, except they call it something else. I don't recall what they call it. It's more an excuse for a social event and a chance to show off their gear.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About