Shelf Life of Food

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Shelf Life of Food

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows how long chick peas in the dried form last while in their original plastic bag. Would they last longer in Mason jars?
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Shelf Life of Food

Postby Nickelless » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows how long chick peas in the dried form last while in their original plastic bag. Would they last longer in Mason jars?

Most plastic bags are air- and moisture-permeable. Mylar is what you want to go with for bags, and mason jars are even better. However, my recommendation would be to save your mason jars for lesser-volume items such as dehydrated vegetables, fruits or meats and put your beans, rice and other grains and bulk items in large mylar bags inside 5-gallon buckets. I've typically been putting 5 pounds of rice, beans, etc., in 1-gallon mylar bags and vacuum-sealing them, then labeling them:

Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About