O2 absorber chart

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

O2 absorber chart

Postby Z00 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 am

Doing same research on oxygen absorbers, I ran across this little chart. Thought I'd throw it up here in case anyone is interested.

O2 Chart.jpg
O2 Chart.jpg (89.57 KiB) Viewed 748 times

* This Quick Reference Oxygen Absorber Chart shown above assumes that you have vacuumed or forced out most of the excess air inside the Mylar Pro Bag and that the bag fits fairly snug against the food items. However, if you were to instead seal the bag leaving it loose and not forcing out the air, then you would perhaps want to use an even higher “cc” rated absorber to compensate for that excess air. All numbers listed herein are approximated. The above numbers are for the minimum recommended size of oxygen absorbers. Feel free to use an even larger sized absorber to ensure continued freshness for longer storage times.

** NOTE: unlike most foods, white refined sugar crystals are hardly impacted by oxygen. In so far as sugar will have nearly the same shelf life regardless of the presence or absence of oxygen. Yet, some people still chose to use Oxygen Absorbers inside their Mylar Pro Bag so that insects will not be able to survive inside to feast upon the sugar. However, please note that the O2 Absorber may cause the sugar to harden and clump together like a brick. At which point you would need to then smash or break apart the clump to get it back to being in the granule form.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: O2 absorber chart

Postby texcollex » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice info. I have some beans and some rice that I canned up dry in 1/2 gallon mason jars. I heated the jars in the oven a bit and filled them, then sucked a vacuum on them to seal. I opened some brown rice the other day that was 2+ years old and it was just fine.

I do have some mylar bags of rolled oats, some of dry corn and some of dry beans that I sealed with oxygen absorbers at about the same time. I need to open up some of those and see how they have fared.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About