Not a bad apple harvest, given how my year has been...

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Not a bad apple harvest, given how my year has been...

Postby Nickelless » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:12 am

I figured I couldn't wait any longer to pluck the apples from my trees, as bugs and other critters are really getting aggressive with some of the fruit and I've lost probably 20 apples but still managed to get 66 apples of varying size and quality yesterday from two semi-dwarf Red Delicious trees that I planted in 2011. Given that I've been more concerned about fighting cancer this year than fighting insects and squirrels, I'm happy with what I'm ending up with. My neighbor is going to cook up and can some more apple butter for my wife and me!

For those of you who know a bit about apples, any idea what the pimple-like protrusion is on the apple in the second photo? It's about the size of a dime, and I don't recall seeing anything like that last year.

The third photo shows the two remaining apples from the Zestar variety tree I planted between the two Red Delicious trees. I'm content to let that tree be just a cross-pollinator for the Red Delicious trees, as you can see that the fruit from the Zestar seems to be pretty attractive to bugs, much more so than the Red Delicious. I didn't use any pesticides or other deterrent measures this year as I had bigger problems to worry about, but I think this will be at the top of my list next year.

Any idea what causes apples to have rather deep indentations, as in the fourth photo?

And the last two photos show just how much I was able to harvest, about 50 percent more apples than last year--not a bad haul for just two trees that have been cultivated by an amateur.
Attachments
apples1.jpg
apples1.jpg (222.79 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
apples2.jpg
apples2.jpg (182.56 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
apples3.jpg
apples3.jpg (109.3 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
apples4.jpg
apples4.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
apples5.jpg
apples5.jpg (328.06 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
apples6.jpg
apples6.jpg (172.25 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Not a bad apple harvest, given how my year has been...

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Nice apples. I got nothing from my trees this year. I think a late frost got them. But I had the best cherry harvest I've ever had. Good stuff!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Not a bad apple harvest, given how my year has been...

Postby justoneguy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Nickelless wrote: My neighbor is going to cook up and can some more apple butter for my wife and me!

Hope she washed her hands first!

ho made butter.jpg
ho made butter.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About