Hand Wheat Grinders

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Hand Wheat Grinders

Postby silver » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Does anyone know where to buy a reasonably priced one of these? I have been checking out some sites but they all seem high to me. Maybe it is the going price but I want to ask some of the experienced members here to get some feedback. I respect everyone's opinion.
Thanks
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Re: Hand Wheat Grinders

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Good ones are not inexpensive. Inexpensive ones are not good.

Of course, you can go around to different garage and estate sales looking for something left over from the "Back to the Earth Movement" 40 or 50 years ago.

Bad part is that people who have these left in their garages and basements are mostly going to think they are just trash and not bother to try to sell them.

Go with a steel burr. The stone burrs trap trash and it rots.

The bit about stones running cooler is a crock. The stones do not allow heat to leave the grinding area so the grain is cooked as it is ground. There is a difference in flavor, just don't fall for the "stones grind cooler" BS.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm

I got the wondermill junior. Haven't used it yet but it was one of a couple with solid reviews. As Mossy says a good one isn't cheap but it'll also last for years.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silver » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:27 pm

I have been looking at the Wonder Mill from all sources and they seem to be all the same price $219. There are some that offer free shipping which I love. I have read the reviews and find I like the product. I will more likely than not be buying it. I just don't like paying more for things than necessary.
Thanks
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:16 am

Our first foray into food preps, many, many years ago was a starter kit from Auguson Farms thru Sam's club. It included a Victorio grain mill, which is a hand operated mill with stainless steel burs, and I have used it many times. Once you learn how to adjust it properly, it grinds any fineness from cracked wheat to fine flour. You'll get a mild workout if you grind a lot, but hey, I need the exercise! Cleanup is easy I use it for cracked wheat cereal (very inexpensive) and flours for cooking/baking for the wife. Good to have hand tools for when power is not a possibility. KISS! Old school is good school!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Shaz
I have seen that type also. But the hopper appears awfully small. I like the idea of a quart sized hopper. Since you have Victorio, could you tell me about the hopper?
Thanks
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:18 pm

After trying to grind 50 pounds of flour with a friends mill, I just opted for an electric one myself. If the grid goes down, Ill just use it in (sprouted) grain form and forget the bread, lol. I wouldnt have yeast for long anyway.

Probably doesn't help you but thought Id put it out there.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silver » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I'll just be grinding for one person. If someone wants any they will have to do it their self.
As for yeast you can cut back on the recipe, it will only take longer to rise. I plan on buying one pound bags that are split into two eight ounce hermetically sealed bags and put them all into a pail with O2 absorbers. They should last awhile.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:39 am

silver wrote:Shaz
I have seen that type also. But the hopper appears awfully small. I like the idea of a quart sized hopper. Since you have Victorio, could you tell me about the hopper?
Thanks
ED

I have never measured but I'm guessing a cup or two of grain at a time. That may sound like a small amount but you're grinding by hand and it goes quickly so refilling is no biggie unless you're grinding to bake commercially. For personal use it's no big deal. If you want, buy an electric one for good times and a manual one for WTSHTF. Just my 2 (copper) cents worth!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 am

Howdy Shaz
I just went ahead and bought the Wonder Mill and be done with it. There is a lot of good reviews for it. I bought a cheap one from Walmart that I am returning today. Thank you for your reply. :thumbup:
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 am

silver wrote:Howdy Shaz
I just went ahead and bought the Wonder Mill and be done with it. There is a lot of good reviews for it. I bought a cheap one from Walmart that I am returning today. Thank you for your reply. :thumbup:
ED

No problem, happy to help if I can whenever possible. I'm not familiar with that one. Let us know how it works after you've used it for 6-12 months.
P.S. I did a duckduckgo.com search of Hand Grain Mills (comparisons) and found lots of good info from a number of great sources.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:13 pm

I received my Wonder Mill today and it sure looks well built. I have not used it yet (of course). There is not much to put together, the auger is pre installed and all that is left is to put on the base, flour guide and the grinding attachments. I ordered on Tuesday and received it today. It was sent express freight via FedEx. Free shipping! I believe I will be satisfied with it, as I will not be using it all that often. I bought it from Pleasant Hill Grain.
ED :thumbup:
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Silver-
Great! Keep us posted on how it works out! I may buy another manual one after researching further. I'm thinking the Wonder Mill Jr might work for this "old-school" guy. I use the one I have more each year.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About