What could you be missing?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What could you be missing?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am

Paper maps...

If you don't have a stock of them, they are getting harder and harder to find. Bookstores are still carrying them, last I looked, but I recently asked several other stores that used to carry them including a national chain drugstore and the manager laughed and said I was the first person this year that had asked for one; that they stopped carrying them a couple of years ago because "everyone" is using GPS on their smartphones.

Hmmm, when the power and/or web goes down, what will these people do? What will you do, if you're trying to navigate rural roads in an unfamiliar area?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What could you be missing?

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 am

You are correct. Sure, my wife and I have all the fancy navigation gadgets. Between the car that talks, the "smart" phones and the GPS you would think all bases are covered. Only if you have the old fashioned paper maps. I have tons. Tourist information centers are a good place to get good free paper maps. I laminate the ones that are important. Allows for writing on with a dry erase marker.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 pm

I can say for certain that GPS does NOT always work. I took a trip to northern Minnesota recently, and I couldn't get a reliable signal on my cell phone. I always have a few paper maps in my car for such an occasion!

I should get an updated Rand-McNally Atlas while I'm at it..... :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:44 am

Once in Florida I had an odd craving for Cracker Barrel. Not being in our usual area we just punched in the closest one and went. About 30 minutes later we arrived. Only problem is that we were in the middle of a housing subdivision at some guys house. And to think he wouldn't even make me breakfast....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Verbane » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 am

NotABigDeal wrote:Once in Florida I had an odd craving for Cracker Barrel. Not being in our usual area we just punched in the closest one and went. About 30 minutes later we arrived. Only problem is that we were in the middle of a housing subdivision at some guys house. And to think he wouldn't even make me breakfast....

Deal

Did a face to face with Doc Rodebaugh a couple years ago at a Bob Evans about midway. Problem was Google maps decided I wanted to visit Bob Evans the man, not Bob Evans the restaurant. Hilarity ensues.... :lol:
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 pm

I realised this, found a good road map for all of North America at Sam's. Found good state topographic maps on Amazon, careful they have two versions. One is about $20, and the other about $300 (or way too expensive).

Had a problem with many of our electronic gadgets taking an unscheduled vacation over the last few months.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:29 pm

this is great info! Everyone is connected to gadget and looking down. I feel a young person has been on a bus route for two years now, that they could not tell you the way they went or arrived as they were distracted! :thumbdown:
Last edited by hobo finds on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds

Postby coppernickel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Another post noted about watches to "check the library."

Our county library doesn't have but a few books, mostly lot of computers.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:20 am

Good thought, Rich. I could take a 1500 mile drive on the back roads to another bug out spot from memory, but couldn't tell you the road names and don't know all the detours to get to the really remote roads. An updated atlas and state maps would be helpful if GPS went down.

My wife and kids would be helpless on anything but the interstates.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Excellent point. I'll admit that I have become too dependent on technology. Thanks for the idea.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 am

For free Maps try a Home Show

AAA has booth an gives away paper maps in Oregon
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About