Health-related items to stock up on

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Health-related items to stock up on

Postby franklin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 am

Bar soap is not cheap anymore but my Kroger had Dove on special for $2.75 for an 8 pack (about 34 cents apiece) but only if you buy 10 packs. My wife was quite thrilled :o that I came back to the truck with 80 bars of soap.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 am

franklin wrote:Bar soap is not cheap anymore but my Kroger had Dove on special for $2.75 for an 8 pack (about 34 cents apiece) but only if you buy 10 packs. My wife was quite thrilled :o that I came back to the truck with 80 bars of soap.

Does she feel better about you coming home with 80 bars of soap than if you came home dirty and stinking? :mrgreen:
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Two Words That You Can Google: Fish Antibiotics

Postby horgad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 am

Fish Antibiotics

1. In most cases, made at the same places where the human stuff is made and then just stuck in different packages
2. Comes in conveniently sized capsules
3. NO PRESCRIPTION REQUIRED

Disclaimer: Not for human consumption..just thought the information might be "eh-hum, interesting" to some. ;)
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 pm

I like to include Tincture of Iodine in my BOB. It works for disinfectant, water purification and an Iodine supplement in case of fallout.

I've bought some pretty big batches of stuff at Wally World recently and no one has said anything. My wife and I were shopping for a knife for her the other day in a pawn/gun shop and the guy stated "sounds like you're putting together a Bug-out Bag". We had a nice chat with him over different gear.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelless » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm

My fiancee and I went to Walmart a couple days ago to pick up a few things and I remembered that I needed a new toothbrush. So I went to the personal-care area and saw multipacks of four toothbrushes for about $2.50 each. So I bought all eight packages. :mrgreen: I don't think it's possible to have too many toothbrushes, given the impact on health that teeth can have.
Nickelless

Postby Rosco » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:20 pm

My Dentist Office give Us all the Sample TP tooth paste We will take. I Smile an haul it home :D
Last edited by Rosco on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 pm

texcollex wrote:I like to include Tincture of Iodine in my BOB. It works for disinfectant, water purification and an Iodine supplement in case of fallout.

Wrong compound. "Tincture" is poisonous. You need Potassium Iodide.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm

You need to add this to the list! Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray which costg less than $10.

A few weeks ago I had a bad sinus infection and after using this a few days felt 100% better and it cleared everything up. It really works...

Below is some of the reading I found on the web....

COLLOIDAL SILVER is an amazing natural alternative to antibiotics. There is no disease causing bacteria that can live in the presence of even minute traces of metallic silver. The best COLLOIDAL SILVER contains only natural ingredients that help the body fight infections just like synthetic antibiotics, but without their damaging side effects. Its natural deep golden color is characteristic of its high quality. The concentration of twenty parts of silver per million contained is a highly effective, safe formulation. Higher concentrations can actually be less effective as they may interfere with beneficial bacteria and cause skin discoloration, even when used internally. Every family desiring optimum natural health should have a bottle of Colloidal Silver in the medicine chest.

Top grade COLLOIDAL SILVER is produced by a highly technical electrocolloidal method employing an electrical current. It has a pH of approximately 6.5 and is a natural deep golden color. At the time of manufacturing, it contains 20 ppm of superfine particles of 99.999% pure silver, 0.0001 microns in diameter, electro-magnetically charged and suspended in deionized water. It does not need to be refrigerated. The silver particles in top grade Colloidal Silver stay in suspension without the need of any chemical, protein, stabilizer, or artificial additive. Usually, an antibiotic kills a half dozen or so bacteria, but silver kills some 650. Resistant strains do not develop to silver like they do with antibiotics.

HISTORY
Silver was used as a proven germ fighter in the early 1900's. It was the mainstay of antibiotic treatment, and today's technology is even more superior. The medical journal Lancet reported phenomenal results from colloidal silver in 1914. Dr. Henry Crooks showed colloidal silver to be highly germicidal yet absolutely harmless and non-toxic to humans. Colloidal silver has been proven useful against all species of fungi, bacteria, protozoa, parasites and certain viruses, which are often killed within minutes. L. C. Ford, M.D. at the UCLA School of Medicine reported in 1988 that silver solutions were effective against Streptococcus, Pyogenes, Staphylococcus Aures, Neisseria Gonorrhea, Garnerella, Vaginalis, Salmonella Typhi and other enteric pathogens. He also found that it was fungicidal for Candida Albicans, Candida Globata and M. Furfur.

Science Digest reported in an article in 1978, entitled "Our Mightiest Germ Fighter" that "silver is emerging as a wonder of modern medicine." Usually, an antibiotic kills a half
dozen or so bacteria, but silver kills some 650. Resistant strains do not develop to silver like they do with antibiotics. Dr. Robert O. Becker, M.D. stated, "we have rediscovered the fact that silver kills bacteria, which had been known for centuries...when antibiotics were discovered, uses for silver as an antibiotic were discarded."

The following is a link to that article: http://www.cs.kestar.com.au/scidi78.pdf

I think what is sad is that since the drug companies can't make a huge profit on this the information is buried and mostly forgotten.
Copper Catcher

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Curad silver solution is great stuff too. It comes in a tube like Neosporin, but has 50ppm silver as the active ingredient. Last fall I halfway chopped the tip of my finger off with electric hedge clippers, and just packed the wound with silver solution and left it wrapped up for 2 days at a time between bandage changes. There were absolutely no signs of infection which is amazing considering how dirty and ragged the wound was.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm

I keep a 1 year supply of tampons and toilet paper at all times. Priorities. ;) You can never be too prepared. :lol: :lol:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Our small personal survival kits (USAF), the ones you kept in a flight suit, all had a tampon.

There are a million things you can use them for. If you fluff them out you can start probably a hundred fires. You can transport water with them, you can dress wounds. The fact they are a sterile absorbent pad makes them valuable.

You can also use them wet to shine boots, mirror shine.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Nickelless » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 am

Thogey wrote:Our small personal survival kits (USAF), the ones you kept in a flight suit, all had a tampon.

There are a million things you can use them for. If you fluff them out you can start probably a hundred fires. You can transport water with them, you can dress wounds. The fact they are a sterile absorbent pad makes them valuable.

Is there a certain brand or style of tampon you'd recommend for first-aid purposes? Can't say I've ever needed to buy tampons except for my fiancee. :mrgreen:
Nickelless

Postby Thogey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am

Nickelless wrote:
Thogey wrote:Our small personal survival kits (USAF), the ones you kept in a flight suit, all had a tampon.

Is there a certain brand or style of tampon you'd recommend for first-aid purposes? Can't say I've ever needed to buy tampons except for my fiancee. :mrgreen:

I think they came in a OD (olive drab) wrapper. FEMININE HYGIENE, TAMPON, 1 EACH :lol:

Really, I'm sorry, I have no clue. DYODD
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby RedRockGirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Thogey wrote:
Nickelless wrote:

I think they came in a OD (olive drab) wrapper. FEMININE HYGIENE, TAMPON, 1 EACH :lol:

Really, I'm sorry, I have no clue. DYODD

You guys are hopeless. Do I need to ship you a box in trade for copper? ;) :lol: :lol:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:You need to add this to the list! Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray which costg less than $10.

I suggest such use be kept to a minimum, unless you don't mind acquiring a distinctive appearance.

The medical industry says colloidal silver is not effective because pure silver is not very bio-reactive. I think that argument is full of beans. Pure silver does not change color when exposed to light, some silver compounds do, and the drawback of using colloidal silver is the change in skin color that can result.

That does not mean colloidal silver will live up to it's reputation, just that the argument above is not relevant.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:
You guys are hopeless. Do I need to ship you a box in trade for copper? ;) :lol: :lol:

(heheheh)

(shhhh) Just make sure it's in a plain, brown wrapper, so no one knows what's in the box. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Old school medicinal books for home remedies, how to use herbals, roots, make your own tinctures, etc. I resorted to these not to long ago when I got tired of going to the doctors and dealing with their complete and utter stupidity. For instance, having gallbladder problems?, yep, you can fix that on your own.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I just added another five 50-count boxes of BC headache powder to my medicine stash. I can fit about 150 powders inside a 1-quart mason jar.
Nickelless

Postby agmoose » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Nickelless wrote:I just added another five 50-count boxes of BC headache powder to my medicine stash. I can fit about 150 powders inside a 1-quart mason jar.

That stuff works great too.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Are BC headache powders A regional item? I have not seen them in Oregon . Are they available at Walgreen, Our small town has a Oregon base chain Bimart an I do not remember Seeing powders in the Aspirin section, We also occasionally shop at Shopko. I take 81 mg Aspirin every even day then Acetaminophen for head ache
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Rosco wrote:Are BC headache powders A regional item? I have not seen them in Oregon . Are they available at Walgreen, Our small town has a Oregon base chain Bimart an I do not remember Seeing powders in the Aspirin section, We also occasionally shop at Shopko. I take 81 mg Aspirin every even day then Acetaminophen for head ache

I don't know if the BC brand is regional, but similar formulations are Stanback and Goody's powders. You might Google each of them to compare and see if any stores near you carry them.
Nickelless

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am

I believe you would want pads to use as field dressings. They are flat like the bandages we used when I was in the military. Tampons are round. They may absorb a lot of blood but I don't think they would cover a large wound. If you needed something larger, baby diapers would probably work.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RedRockGirl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am

Q-tips. I have several years worth of q-tips. I don't want to go on living if I can't clean out my ears after a shower, assuming I have enough water to shower. :shock: :lol:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Do you get the long handle Q-Tips :wave:
would save time to clean both ears with one insertion :lol:
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Rosco wrote: one insertion :lol:

:shock: :o :lol:

*Disclaimer: Sorry, I'm like a 12 year old boy.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About