Health-related items to stock up on

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Health-related items to stock up on

Postby frugi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

RedRockGirl wrote:Q-tips. I have several years worth of q-tips. I don't want to go on living if I can't clean out my ears after a shower, assuming I have enough water to shower. :shock: :lol:

u should buy the O-Totek Loop

they cost about $5.00 at any drugstore.

They are plastic, and guaranteed not to perforate the ear canal or puncture the eardrum. I swear by them and clean my ears out after every shower as well. I always keep 2-3 on hand, I manage to drop them on the floor about once a year, in which case the tip breaks off, so I make sure I am never without one. I once broke one just before I did an ear cleanse, and had a unpleasant day, until I was able to get one at the store that night. So, I make sure I am never down to just one at any given time.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:44 am

I bought another few 50-count boxes of BC headache powders yesterday and stuck the pouches inside a quart-size mason jar and put 'em in the bunker. I have about 300 doses of headache powder at the moment, but need to ramp this up a bit.

Incidentally, I was looking at both BC and Goody's powders at the store and noticed there was a bit of a difference in their formulations. BC has 825 mg. of aspirin and 65 mg. of caffeine per dose, but no acetaminophen. Goody's has a lower dose of aspirin (I don't recall the exact dosage) but contains acetaminophen, as well as caffeine. The BC powders seem to work better for my headaches than the Goody's. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, given that I've been dealing with fibromyalgia for the past 15 years, but headaches are the one thing that totally knock me on my butt.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 am

Nickelless wrote:I bought another few 50-count boxes of BC headache powders yesterday and stuck the pouches inside a quart-size mason jar and put 'em in the bunker. I have about 300 doses of headache powder at the moment, but need to ramp this up a bit.

Incidentally, I was looking at both BC and Goody's powders at the store and noticed there was a bit of a difference in their formulations. BC has 825 mg. of aspirin and 65 mg. of caffeine per dose, but no acetaminophen. Goody's has a lower dose of aspirin (I don't recall the exact dosage) but contains acetaminophen, as well as caffeine. The BC powders seem to work better for my headaches than the Goody's. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, given that I've been dealing with fibromyalgia for the past 15 years, but headaches are the one thing that totally knock me on my butt.

BC Powder was the hangover cure for me when I used to drink alot. The next morning, I would pour a packet on my tongue and drink a jolt, or nitro cola.....then eventually they came out with Red Bull, and that is what I used, now I pretty much dont drink anymore. (at least not enough to get a hangover)
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 am

Nickelless wrote:I bought another few 50-count boxes of BC headache powders yesterday and stuck the pouches inside a quart-size mason jar and put 'em in the bunker. I have about 300 doses of headache powder at the moment, but need to ramp this up a bit.

u
Slight off topic but related to what is important to store.

For me personally aspirin barely touches a headache. When a bad one comes on,\ 800mg of Ibuprophen is the answer, though I do need to ensure that I'm properly hydrated (loss of it is one of my major causes) and maybe a coffee to add some caffiene to open up the blood vessels a bit.

I can't remember if I've posted this, but for me there are four main OTC wonder drugs. Asprin, Ibuprophen, benadryl (generic, in several forms), and any of the various modern antihistimines that work best for you personally (such as generic zyrtec). Benadryl is not only an effective antihistamine but also works as a cough suppressent, sleep aid, and muscle relaxer.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Nickelless » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 am

68Camaro wrote:Slight off topic but related to what is important to store.

For me personally aspirin barely touches a headache. When a bad one comes on,\ 800mg of Ibuprophen is the answer, though I do need to ensure that I'm properly hydrated (loss of it is one of my major causes) and maybe a coffee to add some caffiene to open up the blood vessels a bit.

I can't remember if I've posted this, but for me there are four main OTC wonder drugs. Asprin, Ibuprophen, benadryl (generic, in several forms), and any of the various modern antihistimines that work best for you personally (such as generic zyrtec). Benadryl is not only an effective antihistamine but also works as a cough suppressent, sleep aid, and muscle relaxer.

Thanks for the "wonder drug" info. I have everything on hand in sizable quantities except ibuprofen--I seem to get a lot more pain relief (primarily muscle pain) from naproxen (Aleve), especially with regard to my fibromyalgia. I keep Benadryl chewables on hand in case I have an allergic reaction to something, although it it's just an asthma flareup, strong coffee (Cafe Bustelo) helps open up my bronchial passages. I've probably posted this before, but FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asthma+and+coffee

The headaches I seem to have first thing in the morning are probably sinus-reated, which the BC powder knocks out, so yeah, I guess just like you aspirin may not knock out migraines themselves, but knock on wood that I haven't had a major migraine in more than a year.
Nickelless

Re: Two Words That You Can Google: Fish Antibiotics

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 am

horgad wrote:Fish Antibiotics

1. In most cases, made at the same places where the human stuff is made and then just stuck in different packages
2. Comes in conveniently sized capsules
3. NO PRESCRIPTION REQUIRED

Disclaimer: Not for human consumption..just thought the information might be "eh-hum, interesting" to some. ;)

Finally acquired a suite of 6 types for my "fish tank"
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby doug444 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Amazed that no one has posted to this critical subject for almost 3 years. I did not read all the posts, but the medical issue most important TO ME is the fact that production of prescription drugs (and, OTC medications and supplies) is likely to be interrupted for a long time. I have 9 prescriptions, and ten days without two of them, and I'm outta here. All the prepping in the world will not solve that problem. I don't know what the answer is. Stockpiling an extra month's worth seems futile, plus under some circumstances, it's actually illegal. Plus, for some drugs, shelf life becomes an issue. Comments?
doug444

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 pm

It's an extraordinarily complex topic that has no easy answers. Everyone needs to do their own due diligence for their own family, and research options and life-spans of critical items. In my case I've stockpiled some critical items in vacuum packaging for my family that relates to their needs and stored them in the deep freeze, and I add and/or rotate to that as spare meds come available through dosage changes and/or excess prescriptions. In some / many / most cases well-packed frozen meds will last for years, though there isn't enough research available to be sure of potency versus time for some items. But... if it comes to complete loss of the infrastructure, these items may be enough to keep them going for a year or two, or more.

For other medical needs the options are pretty scarce, and for those dependent on items that can't be stockpiled the outcome will be grim. That may be why so few posts.
68Camaro

Postby doug444 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 pm

The deep freeze is OK for now, but you can't count on the grid after some big crunch. Chances are you will write off millions of diabetics, right off the top.
doug444

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 am

Sad but true. Read "One Second After" for a picture of that.

Current Insulin products, as I understand them, don't t like being frozen, so that's not helpful for that product. There are new products being developed that are reportedly more shelf-stable, but if you have to work with what you've got I'd be looking at developing a 1-2 year supply of vial insulin (as unopened vials are reportedly stable for that long under proper refrigeration) and either a small 12-volt fridge with a solar rig with deep-cycle batteries, and/or a propane powered fridge. It's not a long-term solution, but frankly after 1-2 years we'd all be in the same boat. If the entire infrastructure goes down you can only sustain our current civilization for so long, unless some of the critical elements can be re-started somewhere.
68Camaro

Postby frugi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 am

doug444 wrote:Amazed that no one has posted to this critical subject for almost 3 years. I did not read all the posts, but the medical issue most important TO ME is the fact that production of prescription drugs (and, OTC medications and supplies) is likely to be interrupted for a long time. I have 9 prescriptions, and ten days without two of them, and I'm outta here. All the prepping in the world will not solve that problem. I don't know what the answer is. Stockpiling an extra month's worth seems futile, plus under some circumstances, it's actually illegal. Plus, for some drugs, shelf life becomes an issue. Comments?

You are in a dangerous place my friend. Can you elaborate on which medications these are, and if i may pry so far as to ask what medical conditions do you suffer that require medicines to which 2 weeks without would kill you...?

From my own personal experience.................

The easy answer here is get off those meds that you believe are keeping you alive.

when the reality is in most cases it is your lifestyle which is killing you.

humans are not designed for eating processed complex carbohydrates period. (CARBS=SUGAR)

if you eat any type of grain product or grain itself you are contributing (accelerating the rate) to your own demise.

humans are not designed to take in the ludicrous amounts of sugar that 21st century humans consume.

we are not designed for eating a predominately meat centered diet.

we are not designed for consuming alcohol.

most people dont get that they are killing themselves, instead they falsely believe what doctors falsely tell them.

your lifestyle is killing you, and you are being milked for your money by the pharmaceutical industry.

your lifestyle is killing you, and you are poisoning yourself with God knows what pills you think you must have to live,

now certain pills I believe are necessary to survive, but my point is MOST ARE NOT, and through proper professional management you can overcome your lifestyle choices and IN MOST CASES heal yourself simply by eating in the way the human body is intended to eat. this isnt my whacked opinion it is fact....

basically, nothing you buy in the grocery store is designed to be nourishment for the human being......(with the exception being the outer edges of the grocery,,,,nothing anywhere frozen or in an aisle), only the outer wall of the grocery store, which usually is the same layout in most stores it includes and consists of veggies, fruits, produce, meats, and dairy........our diet every day should consist of ALL ORGANIC when possible and be pure and clean.......... you should eat sparingly, and fast weekly, learn to eat far, far less then you currently eat.......you want ONLY pure water to drink, tea, coffee, raw leafy greens with no dressing should make up at least 80% of each meal we eat every single day, raw or roasted nuts and seeds should consumed daily, cheese and dairy should be used sparingly, and consumed on an as wanted, or weekly basis, good fats as plant oils should be consumed daily, such as olive oil, coconut oil, flax seed oil, hemp seed oil, etc. AN EMPHASIS ON FISH instead of beef, pork, or chicken should be considered as your animal protein source, and healthy fatty fishes are best, salmon, sardines, anchovies, are a few of the best.... I like all seafood, and as of this year the majority of my meats I have consumed has been raw fish, at least twice a week i will eat a bowl of freshly sliced up salmon, yellowfin tuna, red snapper, covered in masago (smelted flying fish egg), covered with toasted sesame seeds... i use braggs liquid amino very sparingly on the side if at all.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 pm

The context of my contributions focus on things like thyroid hormone for those with no thyroid, antibiotics necessary to treat otherwise fatal infections, heart medications for pvcs and arrhythmias, insulin (as noted above, especially for type 1 diabetics) and the like.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:00 pm

doug444 wrote:The deep freeze is OK for now, but you can't count on the grid after some big crunch. Chances are you will write off millions of diabetics, right off the top.

A nationwide grid down will kill millions before your medicine runs out. Grid down means no pumps. No gas, no water.

I wouldn't worry about it.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm

It's not a matter of worrying so much as doing what one can in advance to not be one of those millions.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm

68Camaro wrote:It's not a matter of worrying so much as doing what one can in advance to not be one of those millions.

Really? Thanks for the tip.

Your best bet is to be as mobile as possible.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Really. It may be a fantasy, and there are certain situations where I know I'm toast (or will never even know before it hits me), but I know I'm 1000x better prepared than I was 10 years ago, and I wasn't a slacker even then. Most people can do things that will improve their odds. But almost no one does, which (I have to say) improves my odds.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:50 pm

You are 100% right. My only thinking is, were I on a life sustaining medication and it was not possible to get more than a short time supply. My life would be wrapped around that all the time, A grid down would be the least of my worries.

I would never be able to stop thinking about every other contingency that interrupts my meds.

By the grace of God, we at home are on 0 meds.

I keep forgetting you guys can't tell what I'm thinking when I write.
That's how wars start.

I
Last edited by Thogey on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 pm

If you could get by I would take a pill every other day to stretch them out, but then my luck I would die and have a bunch of pills left! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby frugi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Thogey wrote:
doug444 wrote:The deep freeze is OK for now, but you can't count on the grid after some big crunch. Chances are you will write off millions of diabetics, right off the top.

A nationwide grid down will kill millions before your medicine runs out. Grid down means no pumps. No gas, no water.

I wouldn't worry about it.

if the nationwide grid goes down, there wont be power to pump water onto nuclear reactor cores.....(almost every state has has around 10 nuclear reactors or are within 50 miles of one), and therefore you can expect 10 nuclear meltdowns in every state, and basically complete and utter nuclear radiation holocaust covering almost every square inch of the contiguous united states.....this is why a backup plan needs to be figured out and implemented immediately. I would love the world minus all its technology.....but not at the cost of dying from radiation exposure.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

I have gotten into cigars lately and have been stockpiling them for my mental health. If the grid goes down, at least I will have the pleasure of puffing a nice premium cigar while I battle the mobs and am waiting to die from radiation exposure. 8-)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Hope isn't a plan of course, but EMP tests have shown that (no matter the fictional accounts) today's fossil fuel engines are not affected by EMP. So I have hope that in that scenario the diesel cooling water pump backups will remain intact and we will not see meltdowns in the nuclear plants.

However, I have iodine tabs as a personal backup for I-131 fallout and if all else fails I like blackrabbits idea and I think I'll stock a few Cubans to have before I bend over and kiss my @$$ goodbye.
68Camaro

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 pm

I recommend you watch: Fmr. CIA Dir. Jim Woolsey warns of existential EMP threat to America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfALe8X9C8
Copper Catcher

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:I recommend you watch: Fmr. CIA Dir. Jim Woolsey warns of existential EMP threat to America

thanks for the link, John... will watch it this weekend. :thumbup:

A good book I started and haven't finished yet is Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ted-koppel-exposes-cyberattack-threat-on-u-s-power-grid-in-lights-out/
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:I recommend you watch: Fmr. CIA Dir. Jim Woolsey warns of existential EMP threat to America

Watched about 45 minutes of it - nothing new to me, but if this is a new topic to anyone you should watch it. It was too painful to see the extent of our incompetence as a society so openly and sadly displayed so I had to stop at 45 minutes.
68Camaro

Postby TitusFable » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 am

I asked my father (a Dr) about this so I could give a better answer but talking to him made me realize that there is no way one can be medically prepared for an economic crisis or apocalypse. First off, anyone who needs specialized medicine is done for, whether they stocked for months or a couple of years. Secondly, humans need all sorts of medical treatments that we barely think about: tetanus, rabies, epipens, IV saline solution with clean needles and tubing etc.
For healthy individuals having basic medical supplies a long with supplemental medicine. However, I could create a giant list of supplements that one should stock up upon but acquiring them all is expensive, requires specific storage, and like most products has a self life. If anyone wants some products to improve their mitochondrial, neurological, and immunological health, Pm me and I'll try and get some info (I have learnt a lot in the last 10 years of being sick but my brain doesn't work like it used to :(
TitusFable

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About