Health-related items to stock up on

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Health-related items to stock up on

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:40 am

TitusFable wrote:I asked my father (a Dr) about this so I could give a better answer but talking to him made me realize that there is no way one can be medically prepared for an economic crisis or apocalypse. First off, anyone who needs specialized medicine is done for, whether they stocked for months or a couple of years. Secondly, humans need all sorts of medical treatments that we barely think about: tetanus, rabies, epipens, IV saline solution with clean needles and tubing etc.
For healthy individuals having basic medical supplies a long with supplemental medicine. However, I could create a giant list of supplements that one should stock up upon but acquiring them all is expensive, requires specific storage, and like most products has a self life. If anyone wants some products to improve their mitochondrial, neurological, and immunological health, Pm me and I'll try and get some info (I have learnt a lot in the last 10 years of being sick but my brain doesn't work like it used to :(

Interested in his list regardless. While it's true that it is possible to conceive of a crisis that is both long and severe enough that many with long-term issues will not survive, there are also both shorter term crises to prepare for, as well as alternate forms of treatments for some issues, and the "giant list of supplements" can bridge some gaps for many people. Also, while many products have shelf life, it's also true that label dates for many products are artificial dates imposed by lawyers. What I would be interested in is the list of meds to avoid because they are truly not shelf-stable and which degrade not just to lower potency but to toxic by-products such that they become dangerous to take.

One category of aids that I've purchased in volume amounts are inexpensive bagged minerals that have health benefits and which are infinitely shelf stable: sodium bicarbonate, salt, magnesium sulfate (Epson salt), etc.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:21 am

I want to add something that might be a bit controversial (and I'm no expert), but here goes: Not always, of course, but sometimes at least you don't have to worry so much about expiration dates. My wife and I have both taken generic aspirin that is well over 20 years old and not had any issues. I've also taken Imodium (for diarrhea) and even though it is 8-10 years old, it still does the trick. I am talking specifically about solid items, not liquids.

I fully realize that things tend to lose their potency over time. That said, don't be so quick to always throw expired things out.

Also, my wife has a background in science (microbiology) and also mechanical engineering. She first told me about this.

Some items I'd consider stocking up on:

Claritin (does wonders for me when I have watery eyes)
Imodium
Tums (for stomach acid, which you might have more of if your stomach is growling because you are skipping meals due to dwindling food supplies)

Now, on the other hand, if I see milk a couple days past the expiration date and it smells bad, there is no way I'm going to drink it.

I do want to mention a website (not for medicine, but for foods) that is worth checking out. It is http://www.stilltasty.com. This site has thousands of items and tells you how long they last, both in cooked and raw versions. I've used it for all kinds of foods for about 10 years now and it hasn't let me down. An example:

Luncheon meat (aka Spam):
Commercially canned and opened: 3-4 days in the fridge
Commercially canned and opened: 2-3 months in the freezer
Commercially canned and UNOPENED: 3-5 years in the pantry

This is an important thread and I'd recommend bookmarking it. On the other hand, if we have an EMP attack, that bookmark won't mean much! :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:10 am

Careful stockpiling items like Claritin. My wife uses the one that's controlled, (D?). You can only legally possess so many milligrams of the active ingredient. Damn meth-heads....

As far as Spam, it's spoiled when it comes off the machine and is put into the can.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Thogey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am

Spam might kill you faster than starving will.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Thogey wrote:Spam might kill you faster than starving will.

Cmon- if that's not an exaggeration, I don't know what is. Didn't see the :) emoji so I couldn't tell if you were serious or not.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Rosco » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I save and store things I like its not compact but At 81 a lot might be harmful But probably not more harmful than 82 :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 am

As a pharmacist I can tell you that those expiration dates on solid oral drugs are put there by the manufacturer and are dates that they claim they can guarantee that the active drug retains 100% of its potency (when stored correctly). It does not mean that the day after, it becomes useless. Notice that those dates ate seldom longer than 2 years. Now, i personally will use oral meds for AT LEAST a year beyond the listed exp. date. Creams and ointment i might go 6 months but an open cream/ointment presents a good breeding ground for bacteria once opened especially if ungloved fingers have been used to apply.

I haven't researched this but i vaguely remember a study years ago that showed that meds can keep their potency upwards of 10 years when stored properly. It may have been shortly after the anthrax scare when oral cipro was being hoarded. But this is coming from my 49 year old brain that is scattered with anecdotal memories.

Regarding meds that actually DO expire and are important to pay attention to, one is epipens. I get these as i am allergic to bees. Exp dates are short to begin with on these but epinephrine is tough to keep from breaking down over long periods of time. Thus, you don't want to hold these beyond the expiration. It won't cause any extra danger but when you need an epipen, you NEED it to work or your life is in danger due to anaphylactic shock. Don't fool around.

I will report more as i dig further into this. Good thread.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:05 pm

silverflake wrote:As a pharmacist I can tell you that those expiration dates on solid oral drugs are put there by the manufacturer and are dates that they claim they can guarantee that the active drug retains 100% of its potency (when stored correctly). It does not mean that the day after, it becomes useless. Notice that those dates ate seldom longer than 2 years. Now, i personally will use oral meds for AT LEAST a year beyond the listed exp. date. Creams and ointment i might go 6 months but an open cream/ointment presents a good breeding ground for bacteria once opened especially if ungloved fingers have been used to apply.

I haven't researched this but i vaguely remember a study years ago that showed that meds can keep their potency upwards of 10 years when stored properly. It may have been shortly after the anthrax scare when oral cipro was being hoarded. But this is coming from my 49 year old brain that is scattered with anecdotal memories.

Regarding meds that actually DO expire and are important to pay attention to, one is epipens. I get these as i am allergic to bees. Exp dates are short to begin with on these but epinephrine is tough to keep from breaking down over long periods of time. Thus, you don't want to hold these beyond the expiration. It won't cause any extra danger but when you need an epipen, you NEED it to work or your life is in danger due to anaphylactic shock. Don't fool around.

Here's a report that I've filed away that references some other work related to a USG Shelf Life Extension Program, focused on antibiotics. Interested to know what you think about it, and also interested in your top 3, 5, 7 (whatever) antibiotics that one should attempt to keep on hand, and alternates to each that would be appropriate for people that can't take them.

http://thesurvivaldoctor.com/2015/08/05 ... tibiotics/
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 am

I'm big on silver and garlic (sulfer). This can boil down to silver ions, colodial silver, nano silver and garlic concentrate, or allicin but, it's still silver and garlic. In 2014, this study: Antimicrobial Synergic Effect of Allicin and Silver Nanoparticles on Skin Infection Caused by Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus spp determined for the first time that the two work better together against MRSA than they do independently.

Add to these various essential oils made from several plants and you have a virtual cornucopia of antibiotics you can grow and make your self. Except for the silver, but most of us have a few oz of that lying around.

On a separate but somewhat similar topic, silver left on the shelf in the kitchen shows nice rainbow toning when cooking with a lot of garlic in about 2 weeks give or take.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 pm

johnbrickner wrote: On a separate but somewhat similar topic, silver left on the shelf in the kitchen shows nice rainbow toning when cooking with a lot of garlic in about 2 weeks give or take.

Interesting tidbit.

I can now imagine people laying out hundreds of Morgan dollars in their kitchens and licking their chops about the prices they may someday fetch. I can imagine someone at a coin show saying "This slab smells a bit strange." :)

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:55 pm

If you are of the persuasion as I am that talcum powder (aka baby powder) is not a carcinogen when used appropriately (women shouldn't stick it up their who-ha and none of us should breathe it) and if you value it in its conventional form you might consider buying up a stash. Johnson and Johnson has decided to stop selling it in the US and Canada due to the lawsuits claiming there are minute amounts of asbestos in it. The corn starch version will replace it and it is a whole nuther product - not the same thing. I bought a dozen containers to have - should take care of us for the rest of our lives.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 pm

68Camaro wrote:If you are of the persuasion as I am that talcum powder (aka baby powder) is not a carcinogen when used appropriately (women shouldn't stick it up their who-ha and none of us should breathe it) and if you value it in its conventional form you might consider buying up a stash. Johnson and Johnson has decided to stop selling it in the US and Canada due to the lawsuits claiming there are minute amounts of asbestos in it. The corn starch version will replace it and it is a whole nuther product - not the same thing. I bought a dozen containers to have - should take care of us for the rest of our lives.

Interesting post. Also, if Johnson & Johnson stock (Ticker: JNJ) gets massacred (perhaps throwing the baby out with the bath water isn’t the most politically sensitive term to use), it could be a good time for a patient investor who doesn’t panic easily to invest in JNJ stock. Legal damage amounts can be potentially huge. Often times the actual settlements are more of a slap on the wrist.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:35 pm

There was a man on late night talk radio last night. The show is Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. His guest was Gary Collins, who is a former FDA employee and health fanatic now living off the grid in the Eastern part of Washington state. His property is so remote that he walks his dogs daily and says he’s never once in the past 7 years seen another human being while on these walks. He says he doesn’t even hear all terrain vehicles. When he goes to a city for a speaking engagement, he says the first night in a hotel is difficult because of all the noises.

Collins has a bunch of books, sells vitamins, etc. Anyone know about him and whether he is legit?

Recyclersteve

Postby Nickelless » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:28 pm

silverflake wrote:As a pharmacist I can tell you that those expiration dates on solid oral drugs are put there by the manufacturer and are dates that they claim they can guarantee that the active drug retains 100% of its potency (when stored correctly). It does not mean that the day after, it becomes useless. Notice that those dates ate seldom longer than 2 years. Now, i personally will use oral meds for AT LEAST a year beyond the listed exp. date. Creams and ointment i might go 6 months but an open cream/ointment presents a good breeding ground for bacteria once opened especially if ungloved fingers have been used to apply.

My neurologist first prescribed me Nortriptylene as a migraine preventive sometime around 2009-2010. She wrote the script for 100 mg at bedtime but said to take the lowest dose that worked. I discovered that 50 mg seemed to keep the migraines away, so I take half the prescribed dose every night at bedtime, get a refill of a full bottle at the same time every month and have built up around an eight-year supply at this moment. The bottle I am taking at the moment was filled in Sept. 2015 and seems to be doing fine. I keep all meds for long-term storage in a metal cabinet in my 62-degree basement.

Likewise I've been stocking up on many other OTC meds. My goal is to have at least a 10-year supply of each one I use regularly. I just stopped stocking up on BC Powder after reaching what I estimate to be about a 12-year supply under normal circumstances, with 150 single-dose packets in each quart-sized mason jar. I have about an eight-year supply of melatonin, which was an absolute godsend for me after I lost my wife two years ago and couldn't sleep at all. I'm likewise stocking up on my Men's 50+ gummy vitamins as well as calcium chews. I have less than a year's worth of the gummies and calcium chews at the moment but I'm just getting started on those. I have a magnetic dry-erase board with running totals on meds in a place only I know where to look.
Nickelless

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:10 pm

This is a long thread which has lasted several years, but I will say (or even reiterate if that is the case) that aspirin and immodium (for diarrhea) are two cheap must have items that will last for years.

Aspirin has many uses. For instance, it can help you overcome pain, fall asleep, overcome headaches, etc.

Recyclersteve

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:56 pm

I believe Aspirin in Canada has codeine in it.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:44 am

Recyclersteve wrote:This is a long thread which has lasted several years, but I will say (or even reiterate if that is the case) that aspirin and immodium (for diarrhea) are two cheap must have items that will last for years.

Aspirin has many uses. For instance, it can help you overcome pain, fall asleep, overcome headaches, etc.

Baby aspirin yes, but don't take them everyday. Get into a serious accident and you could bleed to death.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:47 am

People who take these meds should stock up on them, if possible: Thyroid, insulin and blood pressure meds.

People who are dependant on these meds everyday will be the first to perish when the SHTF.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm

I do estate liquidations. I save all medicines.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm

68Camaro wrote:

Here's a report that I've filed away that references some other work related to a USG Shelf Life Extension Program, focused on antibiotics. Interested to know what you think about it, and also interested in your top 3, 5, 7 (whatever) antibiotics that one should attempt to keep on hand, and alternates to each that would be appropriate for people that can't take them.

http://thesurvivaldoctor.com/2015/08/05 ... tibiotics/

I just saw this after 4 years or so. Re: top antibiotics to keep on hand - if I could keep 2 they would be Doxycycline and Azithromycin (tradename Zithromax or "Z-Pack). Doxy is old and is effective treatment against so many bacterial infections ranging from the plague (yes THAT plague), acne vulgaris, MRSA, Lyme disease and many other. Azithromycin is in the same class as Erythromycin but is effective against many of the bacteria that cause community pneumonias and many others too.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About