How much drinking water do you currently have?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: How much drinking water do you currently have?

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 pm

fasteddy wrote:I will give you all the 275 gallon totes that you can carry....come and get'um. Houston, Texas.

I use the 275 gallon totes for non drinking water supply.

Dang I wish you were closer to me. I lost my source for these and the only ones I can find semi local are rather expensive and I cant get anyone to deliver. Im trying to get about 10 of them. :|
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm

What is the one out of Canada called?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Merwanseth » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm

This may not be the exact right topic for this entry. But it's close enough.

As a health care provider, I have read quite a bit of research concerning the issue of "hydration". Although there is some minor disagreement by different experts concerning exactly what the definition of "appropriate hydration" consists of, most experts agree that it's a lot more than the average person thinks it is.

One of the more impressive studies that I have read, from a major college health center, that contained well over a thousand subjects, had many observations and conclusions. For the purpose of this entry, I'll only offer one of the observations and conclusions.

That is that the average American is not even close to being properly hydrated. And that if he is not properly hydrated that that fact alone will likely and significantly affect his present and especially his future health. (I could go into the biochemical reasons for this statement, but I'd rather not bore most of you.) This study went further to offer a general formula to suggest how the average person can be certain that he is likely to remain properly hydrated every day.

The basic formula the study described is to take ones body weight, change that number from pounds to ounces, and then divide by two. That is the number of ounces of clean water that everyone (unless they have a medical history which suggests otherwise,) should use as a goal to drink every day. For example, a 150 pound person should use as a goal to drink 75 ounces of clean water every day in order just to keep their body properly hydrated. That's just a little over a half gallon.

This number of ounces should be just water. If one wants to have milk, coffee, tea, juice, beer, wine, etc., that amount of a different beverage should not be used in calculating the amount of water one should drink, even if that beverage has water in it.

As a caveat, please remember that every person is different and has a unique set of genetic and environmental-related health issues presently within his body. Thus, this formula is only given as a general formula to suggest an approximate amount of water that each person should ingest to be properly hydrated. Everyone should hopefully at least consider whether they are even close to that number when determining whether this extremely important health-related issue is being met.

And for the purpose of this topic, this formula will hopefully be helpful to consider as one is storing clean water for oneself and ones family.... for whatever reason(s) one chooses to store water...
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby frugi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Merwanseth wrote:This may not be the exact right topic for this entry. But it's close enough.

As a health care provider, I have read quite a bit of research concerning the issue of "hydration". Although there is some minor disagreement by different experts concerning exactly what the definition of "appropriate hydration" consists of, most experts agree that it's a lot more than the average person thinks it is.

One of the more impressive studies that I have read, from a major college health center, that contained well over a thousand subjects, had many observations and conclusions. For the purpose of this entry, I'll only offer one of the observations and conclusions.

That is that the average American is not even close to being properly hydrated. And that if he is not properly hydrated that that fact alone will likely and significantly affect his present and especially his future health. (I could go into the biochemical reasons for this statement, but I'd rather not bore most of you.) This study went further to offer a general formula to suggest how the average person can be certain that he is likely to remain properly hydrated every day.

The basic formula the study described is to take ones body weight, change that number from pounds to ounces, and then divide by two. That is the number of ounces of clean water that everyone (unless they have a medical history which suggests otherwise,) should use as a goal to drink every day. For example, a 150 pound person should use as a goal to drink 75 ounces of clean water every day in order just to keep their body properly hydrated. That's just a little over a half gallon.

This number of ounces should be just water. If one wants to have milk, coffee, tea, juice, beer, wine, etc., that amount of a different beverage should not be used in calculating the amount of water one should drink, even if that beverage has water in it.

As a caveat, please remember that every person is different and has a unique set of genetic and environmental-related health issues presently within his body. Thus, this formula is only given as a general formula to suggest an approximate amount of water that each person should ingest to be properly hydrated. Everyone should hopefully at least consider whether they are even close to that number when determining whether this extremely important health-related issue is being met.

And for the purpose of this topic, this formula will hopefully be helpful to consider as one is storing clean water for oneself and ones family.... for whatever reason(s) one chooses to store water...

I am glad you referred to it as the Average American. :clap: The Average American who eats large amounts of un-needed excess sodium, and consumes meat, dairy, and processed grains should be drinking that much water. They need that water to keep them from outright dying from the other poisons they put in their bodies disguised as nourishment. In fact, if you are a human being, and are eating what the human body was designed to eat, you would need far, far less water than suggested above. When a human being drinks the amount as suggested by the Gov't, the doctors, or the above recommendation they will only find over time it wears out your kidneys at a super increased rate. Your kidneys were only designed to last 200 years. By drinking three times what is actually needed you wear your kidneys out three times faster. A human being that eats what we human beings were intended to eat would never need to drink a glass or a bottle of water ever. I could list 10 pages of foods we are designed to eat, but to save time and keep it simple, here is a short list: tomatoes, grapefruit, oranges, watermelon, grapes, bananas, avocados, berries of all kinds, leafy green vegetables of all kinds, lettuces, chard, sea vegetables (seaweed), any of the thousands of different types of fruits that exist in the world, root vegetables, and any of the thousands of vegetables that exist in the world. The water found within these raw fruits and vegetables is purified through nature, and contains all the vitamins and minerals the body needs. This is a fact. However, the average american consumes such a level of poisons that without the constant flushing of water that the tap provides we would be dead quickly. Our bodies were designed to thrive for 200-300 years, it is a matter of inherited genes, eating lifestyles, lack of clean atmosphere, and lack of physical fitness as to what contributes to our early deaths at the young ages of 70-90 years old. :shock: When considering a storage of "water" for your SHTF prepps , by all means have bottled water on hand enough to have 64 oz to 100 oz a day for drinking, but consider a fruit and vegetable garden as well. And if SHTF, it might be the only thing that saves the human body from it's weakness for its addiction to cooked and unhealthy sodium saturated fatty cancer causing poisons commonly mistaken as food. :angel:
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm

frugi wrote:And if SHTF, it might be the only thing that saves the human body from it's weakness for its addiction to cooked and unhealthy sodium saturated fatty cancer causing poisons commonly mistaken as food. :angel:

I do like my fatty cancer causing poisons. :thumbup:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 am

thanks for the answers related to my reverse osmosis unit......and here is another..

Does anyone know if these units typically remove fluoride from tap water?
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Merwanseth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm

frugi asked:
Does anyone know if these units typically remove fluoride from tap water?

I've spent a lot of time researching all kinds of water units including some very expensive alkaline water ionization units as well as reverse osmosis and even whole house units. Although some of the more expensive units have excellent filtration systems and do most of what they say they are going to do, I can't think of any that really do a good job removing fluoride components. Read the small print before you buy. It may be different than what their marketing is trying to make you believe about the unit they are trying to sell you. If you find out about any units that actually work well removing fluoride, please share a website. Thank you.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 pm

I got four more rain barrels this week (total of six so far) and plan to pick up four more over the next few weeks. I plan to keep two barrels in the garage for non-potable needs, four barrels in the backyard to capture runoff from the roof of the house and the remaining barrels will be stored in the basement, filled with water for drinking/eating needs.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:31 pm

just got 8 24 packs of btl water for $1.77 each! Back to school sale :thumbup:
hobo finds

Postby Oldpagan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 am

I keep 10 five gallon "jerry cans" filled and have the means to filter as much as I nee or can find.
Oldpagan

Postby tdfxman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

Have a berkey and water. If/when the FRN's go boom, this physical plane stuff will be MUCH more valuable than the paper/monetary plane stuff. Good board, glad I found this site. It seems A LOT like bullionstacker. Perfect.
tdfxman

Postby tinhorn » Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Treetop wrote:Look for something called an IBC tote.

It's my understanding that the white ones will grow algae in the sun. I've seen pics of blue ones, but haven't seen any on Craigslist (where I see the white ones). I've read that painting the white ones will prevent the algae. (I want to use these to set up aquaponics tanks next year.)

Me, I just revived an old shallow well! Didn't realize there was one on the property when we bought it a year ago--found it when we were cleaning the place up. Bought a sprinkler pump at Lowes and ran it for half an hour today. It feels good having our own water supply. We'll use it for irrigation, but the water is clear--the well used to supply the house.

I intend to buy a few of these purifiers, read good things about them: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref ... F733S1W9VR
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:16 pm

After some extensive on-line research to sort out a great many conflicting and missing claims I just ordered the following for <$200 shipped:

AquaCera SS-4 Gravity Fed Filtration System (no filters)
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-6727 ... empty.aspx

AquaCera W9512330 Imperial CeraGrav Plus 7" Candle
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-9484 ... andle.aspx

For this system there are many filter cartridge (aka, candle) options. I have read too many bad reviews of the Black Berkey filter, which is a US marketed device made in China (as many things are) and apparently suffering from major quality control issues. So I ended up with a 3-stage ceramized DE/carbon/silver filter:

The filter housing is popularly marketed by others including being known as the Big Berkey, but I found out that Berkey is just a (very effective) re-marketer of the original version from UK. The AquaCera SS-4 is the same item.

More on the cartridge:

The CeraGrav™ Plus is manufactured to remove suspended solids, pathogenic bacteria, cysts, organic chemicals and improve taste and odor. The filter is silver impregnated to prevent bacteria growth and is self - sterilizing. The ceramic shell is manufactured to balance flow rate and consistent pore size in order to provide maximum filtration efficiency. The center of the filter contains coconut shell based granular activated carbon to reduce organic chemicals and improve the color, taste, and odor of drinking water. This filter element is designed for gravity filter use. The majority of pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria and cysts are larger than one micron. The pore size of the filter element is controlled so that it will remove all suspended matter larger than 0.3 microns.

Pathogenic bacteria: Cholera, Typhoid, Salmonella, Serratia, Fecal Coliform > 99.99%
E. coli: - 100%
Cysts: Cryptosporidium Parvum, Giardia Lamblia - 100% removal
Sediment down to 0.8 micron - 100%
Sediment 0.3 - 0.5 micron >99.99%
Turbidity >99.7%
Organic Chemicals
Pesticides, herbicides and organic solvents
Metals
Iron, Aluminum
Taste & Color
Hydrogen Sulphide, Iron, etc
Tested to meet NSF Standards 42 & 53

A more expensive but supposedly similar cartridge is the Doulton Imperial Super Sterasyl

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-626- ... 6-alt.aspx

The Doulton version has a better spec sheet
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/specif ... e_2010.pdf

Each cartridge filters at a rate of about 0.3 gal/hour (1.2 gal/hour for four cartridges). A lot slower than the black berkey, but I'm more comfortable with the QC of the UK produced ceramic cartridges at the moment.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:40 am

I've got three wells in the yard of 180 foot depth, one bored well of 75 feet and two regulation size dugouts I could use in an emergency.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:33 pm

We don't have a well or municipal water, instead we are in the middle of a former public watershed area and have a spring house. There is a submersible supply pump in the spring house which pushes water to a concrete cistern behind our house, and a jet pump to move water into the house. Works great when we have electricity to run the pumps. If power is out for extended periods, I draw water from the spring house in buckets and run through filters in the garage. I also keep 60-75 gallons of bottled water in the garage and buy more when on sale.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:55 pm

So I would estimate 90% who posted in this thread don't even come here anymore.

Water (and food) is the most important thing to have, not PMs. 5-7 days without it and you are dead.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Once you are prepped you don't spend a lot of time on it. I was obsessed about it for several years and it took that long to get to a stable state. I don't spend a lot of time on it now.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:08 pm

2 wells full.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:55 pm

There was a posting on here about dropping a silver coin into a water container. I would think the coin should be uncirculated and also cleaned with soap before being put into a container with water. But how much silver do you need? Does anyone know, for instance, how many gallons a one ounce silver bar/round will treat?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby misteroman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Still here.
I was thinking about grabbing a few of those straws that filter 1000 gallons or so I believe

Will be moving to KY soon and the house we are trying to buy has a decent size, spring fed pond as well.
Also has a large outdoor boiler and whole house generator so should be good if it comes down to it!
D
misteroman

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 pm

I never did post on the original thread, since I wasn't a member in 2010. I started in 2013. But, even with some of the people posted gone forever or just apathetic, there is some really good stuff on this thread. I just finished reading all 5 pages and have bookmarked it for future reference.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Treetop » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 pm

frugi wrote:I am glad you referred to it as the Average American. :clap: The Average American who eats large amounts of un-needed excess sodium, and consumes meat, dairy, and processed grains should be drinking that much water. They need that water to keep them from outright dying from the other poisons they put in their bodies disguised as nourishment. In fact, if you are a human being, and are eating what the human body was designed to eat, you would need far, far less water than suggested above. When a human being drinks the amount as suggested by the Gov't, the doctors, or the above recommendation they will only find over time it wears out your kidneys at a super increased rate. Your kidneys were only designed to last 200 years. By drinking three times what is actually needed you wear your kidneys out three times faster. A human being that eats what we human beings were intended to eat would never need to drink a glass or a bottle of water ever. I could list 10 pages of foods we are designed to eat, but to save time and keep it simple, here is a short list: tomatoes, grapefruit, oranges, watermelon, grapes, bananas, avocados, berries of all kinds, leafy green vegetables of all kinds, lettuces, chard, sea vegetables (seaweed), any of the thousands of different types of fruits that exist in the world, root vegetables, and any of the thousands of vegetables that exist in the world. The water found within these raw fruits and vegetables is purified through nature, and contains all the vitamins and minerals the body needs. This is a fact. However, the average american consumes such a level of poisons that without the constant flushing of water that the tap provides we would be dead quickly. Our bodies were designed to thrive for 200-300 years, it is a matter of inherited genes, eating lifestyles, lack of clean atmosphere, and lack of physical fitness as to what contributes to our early deaths at the young ages of 70-90 years old. :shock: When considering a storage of "water" for your SHTF prepps , by all means have bottled water on hand enough to have 64 oz to 100 oz a day for drinking, but consider a fruit and vegetable garden as well. And if SHTF, it might be the only thing that saves the human body from it's weakness for its addiction to cooked and unhealthy sodium saturated fatty cancer causing poisons commonly mistaken as food. :angel:

If you are still around, I dont believe you at all. I have trouble doing basic tasks without eating meat regularly. Some claim blood type matters and type Is need more meat which I am, but either way Ive tried going vegen even with heavy supplementation available in no era before mine and it just doesnt work. Its doubtful youd even have the brain to type what you did if your ancestors werent meat eaters. I found it especially interesting you mentioned root veggies when we didnt evolve to be ablfew e to eat those until well after we had been eating meats. It was a huge advantage to humanity according to sciences understanding of things. If christians are right instead then we ate meat from the first few people in the bible. When I first read actual studies on this topic studies out of india stuck out. Since ghandi theyve had a bunch of vegans and vegetarians. Yet he himself would regularly drink goat milk whhen he felt to weak as a vegan. These studies out of india strongly implied the vegans would become a sub species of humans with smaller brains. Several years later I tried showing these studies to a friend and as best I can find thy dont exist online anymore.. In the west wee have many studies that show veganism and vegetarianism leads to brain issues. If you look briefly you may find several "studies" that im ply no meat is better but the single study Ive found that account for meat eating itself versu plant eating, where they excluded those who eat processed meats with nitrates, the meat eaters had WAY less issues. There is a famous :china ""study" on this. Im not even joking. The study was literally one scientist with lots of data ignoring ALL data that didnt fit his beliefs. If you look into it enough youll find the actual study china did on this was statistical and showed meat as a slight positive for women and neutral for men. What is known as the "chiina study" is pure propaganda.

If you show back up here Im completely open to finding out Im wrong but I doubt it. Humans NEED meat to be at thier optimal levels. Processed meats with nitrates excluded. ( even from celery lol)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Treetop wrote:
frugi wrote:I am glad you referred to it as the Average American. :clap: The Average American who eats large amounts of un-needed excess sodium, and consumes meat, dairy, and processed grains should be drinking that much water. They need that water to keep them from outright dying from the other poisons they put in their bodies disguised as nourishment. In fact, if you are a human being, and are eating what the human body was designed to eat, you would need far, far less water than suggested above. When a human being drinks the amount as suggested by the Gov't, the doctors, or the above recommendation they will only find over time it wears out your kidneys at a super increased rate. Your kidneys were only designed to last 200 years. By drinking three times what is actually needed you wear your kidneys out three times faster. A human being that eats what we human beings were intended to eat would never need to drink a glass or a bottle of water ever. I could list 10 pages of foods we are designed to eat, but to save time and keep it simple, here is a short list: tomatoes, grapefruit, oranges, watermelon, grapes, bananas, avocados, berries of all kinds, leafy green vegetables of all kinds, lettuces, chard, sea vegetables (seaweed), any of the thousands of different types of fruits that exist in the world, root vegetables, and any of the thousands of vegetables that exist in the world. The water found within these raw fruits and vegetables is purified through nature, and contains all the vitamins and minerals the body needs. This is a fact. However, the average american consumes such a level of poisons that without the constant flushing of water that the tap provides we would be dead quickly. Our bodies were designed to thrive for 200-300 years, it is a matter of inherited genes, eating lifestyles, lack of clean atmosphere, and lack of physical fitness as to what contributes to our early deaths at the young ages of 70-90 years old. :shock: When considering a storage of "water" for your SHTF prepps , by all means have bottled water on hand enough to have 64 oz to 100 oz a day for drinking, but consider a fruit and vegetable garden as well. And if SHTF, it might be the only thing that saves the human body from it's weakness for its addiction to cooked and unhealthy sodium saturated fatty cancer causing poisons commonly mistaken as food. :angel:

If you are still around, I dont believe you at all. I have trouble doing basic tasks without eating meat regularly. Some claim blood type matters and type o needs more meat which I am, but either way Ive tried going vegen even with heavy supplementation available in no era before mine and it just doesnt work. Its doubtful youd even have the brain to type what you did if your ancestors werent meat eaters. I found it especially interesting you mentioned root veggies when we didnt evolve to be ablfew e to eat those until well after we had been eating meats. It was a huge advantage to humanity according to sciences understanding of things. If christians are right instead then we ate meat from the first few people in the bible. When I first read actual studies on this topic studies out of india stuck out. Since ghandi theyve had a bunch of vegans and vegetarians. Yet he himself would regularly drink goat milk whhen he felt to weak as a vegan. These studies out of india strongly implied the vegans would become a sub species of humans with smaller brains. Several years later I tried showing these studies to a friend and as best I can find thy dont exist online anymore.. In the west wee have many studies that show veganism and vegetarianism leads to brain issues. If you look briefly you may find several "studies" that im ply no meat is better but the single study Ive found that account for meat eating itself versu plant eating, where they excluded those who eat processed meats with nitrates, the meat eaters had WAY less issues. There is a famous :china ""study" on this. Im not even joking. The study was literally one scientist with lots of data ignoring ALL data that didnt fit his beliefs. If you look into it enough youll find the actual study china did on this was statistical and showed meat as a slight positive for women and neutral for men. What is known as the "chiina study" is pure propaganda.

If you show back up here Im completely open to finding out Im wrong but I doubt it. Humans NEED meat to be at thier optimal levels. Processed meats with nitrates excluded. ( even from celery lol)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 pm

I hoard those 5 gal hard plastic ones you buy at Lowes and Home Depot.

I'm back up to 400 gallons. I replace it after 5 years. I use the old ones to refill the toilet tank (3 1/2 gals per flush), rather than just dumping down the drain.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I can't believe i didn't bookmark it before. Well I have done so now- as there is lots to read and plenty of links to even more info.

I guess that one bottled water that I got for free at the bank won't last too long... :)

Recyclersteve

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About