What have you done to prep today?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What have you done to prep today?

Postby 97guns » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 pm

planted some zucchinni and beans today
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Nickelless wrote:No, the vacuum-sealer doesn't require special bags per se, but the sealer is only about 11 inches wide. The bags I typically use are I think 10 inches wide by 14 inches long. I haven't used store-bought bags because I don't know of any regular store that sells mylar bags in bulk quantities.

I went ahead and ordered that sealer along with 50 of the 10x16 mylar bags yesterday. Looking forward to getting it. Wish I hadn't bought the foodsaver one.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Shags29 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I love canned greened Beens ! And dehidrated onions/bacon.
Shags29

Postby Nickelless » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am

68Camaro wrote:
Nickelless wrote:No, the vacuum-sealer doesn't require special bags per se, but the sealer is only about 11 inches wide. The bags I typically use are I think 10 inches wide by 14 inches long. I haven't used store-bought bags because I don't know of any regular store that sells mylar bags in bulk quantities.

I went ahead and ordered that sealer along with 50 of the 10x16 mylar bags yesterday. Looking forward to getting it. Wish I hadn't bought the foodsaver one.

A couple tips on the Snorkel-Vac: I always hold down the sealer bar for 30 seconds even though the timer starts beeping after about 8 seconds. I find that it takes about 30 seconds to make sure the heat-seal sticks. Also, I don't use the actual vacuum itself on powdery items (flour, spices, etc.) or on other small particles such as oats that could get sucked through the vacuum tube. I just squeeze as much air out as possible and seal it up. Any residual oxygen left in the bag shouldn't be a big deal for items that aren't oily and prone to rancidity. Incidentally, after sealing about 25 bags of oats a couple days ago, my shoulders were hurting because I was pressing down on the sealer bar so many times, but I needed the room in my pantry for other things and needed to rotate the oats into my bunker storage area, so the workout was worth it!
Nickelless

Postby Nickelless » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:24 am

Shags29 wrote:I love canned greened Beens ! And dehidrated onions/bacon.

I like green beans too, but they don't have the vitamin content that a lot of the leafy greens and root vegetables have. That's one reason why I've been big on storing carrots, spinach and tomatoes. I've been dehydrating the carrots and spinach and plan to order a batch of tomato powder soon from BulkFoods.com. I'm also going to try their dried tomato halves, but I'm guessing I'll get more mileage out of the tomato powder in terms of how much flavor I'll get on a per-unit basis.

I was also going to order spinach powder from BulkFoods until I noticed that it was made in China. There's not a snowball's chance that I'm going to buy any food products from China given their absolutely atrocious health standards and horror stories of contaminated food products.
Nickelless

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Nickelless wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

A couple tips on the Snorkel-Vac: I always hold down the sealer bar for 30 seconds even though the timer starts beeping after about 8 seconds. I find that it takes about 30 seconds to make sure the heat-seal sticks. Also, I don't use the actual vacuum itself on powdery items (flour, spices, etc.) or on other small particles such as oats that could get sucked through the vacuum tube. I just squeeze as much air out as possible and seal it up. Any residual oxygen left in the bag shouldn't be a big deal for items that aren't oily and prone to rancidity. Incidentally, after sealing about 25 bags of oats a couple days ago, my shoulders were hurting because I was pressing down on the sealer bar so many times, but I needed the room in my pantry for other things and needed to rotate the oats into my bunker storage area, so the workout was worth it!

Somewhat unlike me, but I realized I had saved everything about the foodsaver I bought two months ago. I had never used it when I found it wouldn't do what I wanted, so today was able to take it back and get a full return! So the Snorkel-Vac is paid for, and then some.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 97guns » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:44 pm

i added

50# rice @ $9.59/25#
case of corn and case of green beans @ .50/can
8 pounds of frozen peas @ $3.87/4#
10 bottles of ketchup @ .88/24oz
8 jugs of apple juice $1
2 skippy peanut butters
4 bottles of italian dressing
12 gallons bleach @ $1/gal
butternut and spaghetti squash seeds
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I made a urban survival kit using an old altoids can I had (mine was more custom made to what I thought I needed... like a ammonia tablet). Pretty cool if ya ask me. You guys really need to check out codenameinsight.com and read the daily insight sections. VERY VALUABLE info! I read something on that site or visit one of the posted links at least once a day. Got this idea from there...

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/01/30/22 ... nliness%29
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Today the Wall Street Journal released an article titled: Six Ways to Boost Your Investment Income: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 44842.html

The second recommendation talks about prepaying expenses and states that if you are earning 1% at the bank and cost are going up 5% they recommend: "You can stock up on nonperishable foods and buy household goods in bulk."

Nickelless, Are you writing for the WSJ now? :D
Copper Catcher

Postby Nickelless » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Today the Wall Street Journal released an article titled: Six Ways to Boost Your Investment Income: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 44842.html

The second recommendation talks about prepaying expenses and states that if you are earning 1% at the bank and cost are going up 5% they recommend: "You can stock up on nonperishable foods and buy household goods in bulk."

Nickelless, Are you writing for the WSJ now? :D

No, but thanks for the idea! :D
Nickelless

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 pm

68Camaro wrote:

Got it today. Looks like a good unit - looking forward to trying it out, though I'm going to be out of town for most of the next week+.
68Camaro

Postby Nickelless » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Sweet deal, 68C! Let me know if you need any advice on using it.
Nickelless

Postby 97guns » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:33 pm

loaded up on socks and underwear before price increases.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:23 pm

97guns wrote:loaded up on socks and underwear before price increases.

I did that a while back and now have about 30 pairs of underwear and socks. My fiancee gave me "the look" when I told her that on a yearly basis, I only have to change my socks and underwear once every 12 days! :mrgreen:
Nickelless

Postby franklin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 pm

With gas prices up to $3.39 around here, I bought out Walmart on Coleman fuel. Same price it has been for the last year but it is bound to go up, even with just inflation affecting it. Also bought a Coleman Dual Fuel single burner stove for $28. I see them other places for over 50.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 pm

franklin wrote:With gas prices up to $3.39 around here, I bought out Walmart on Coleman fuel. Same price it has been for the last year but it is bound to go up, even with just inflation affecting it. Also bought a Coleman Dual Fuel single burner stove for $28. I see them other places for over 50.

WOW!!! I was JUST looking at those 2 seconds ago! I'm probably going to get one within the next week or two (as I need one NOW for temp use). You mind telling me where you got it and how you like it? Have you used it yet with both fuels? I'm interested in knowing if it smells on either fuel type vs the smaller propane type burners. THANKS!

I'm right behind you guys on ordering the sealer and mylar bags. I plan on getting that by the end of this month!

Also... for EVERYONE ON THIS POST... strongly consider the post I made earlier about the Altoids tin can usage! I cut myself MAJOR BAD the other day on my finger! I quickly remembered that Altoid tin that I had just packed with antibiotic bandaids (various sizes), butterfly bandages, and waterproof tape. I sprang into action and took that tin to the nearest bathroom (at a nearby restaurant... I cut my finger while in the parking lot of a post office). I was able to to do a GREAT JOB (according to my Dr. who later reviewed over my work) on taking care of the cut (which if I didn't have that tin... I would have had to go to the ER for stitches). That little can saved me an ER visit for stitches according to my Dr. Telling ya... make one up and leave it in your car at least!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby franklin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 am

PB:
The single burner stove is carried by Walmart and Academy, among other places. Walmart is about 20 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. I have used them many times (I have 3 of them) and give them as birthday presents. Some folks say if you use unleaded in them that they will eventually clog up with all the detergents and stuff in gas but I have never used gasoline.
If you are needing one for you residence, I would go with Coleman's excellent 2 burner model that is more stable.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 am

Anyone bought a electric generator? Have been looking at different models mainly for emergency use. I see there are tri-fuel versions that seem to be rather expensive. I would love that flexability to use LP/NG/petro but is it worth the expense? Have also entertained a solar system... Any ideas?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 am

I have a 5kw gas honda as a standby. Am about to go to a 20 kw generac propane autostart. Main concern is fuel availability. No ng in my immediate area. Tri fuel would be nice but i will have the small gas generator as a backup. Solar is interesting and i may get a small set for very basic use but not practical for me due to shade and expense.
68Camaro

Postby franklin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 pm

My elderly folks just went with the 20kw Generac with propane fuel source. I can't help but think it would increase the marketability of a residence in the case of a sale, not to mention the piece of mind of having a backup.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Prep tip for freezing fish without a vac bagger:

Fill a dish pan with water.
Put fillet or steak in ziploc bag. (Be sure it does not have bones sticking out to pierce the plastic.)
Shove under water so bag has water in it.
Grasp fish through bag and withdraw bag most of the way from the water.
Reach under water and zip bag closed.
Place in freezer with top of bag folded under the fish. (Reduces seal failures.)
Handle gently or you will get leakers.
I've eaten Coho 5 years old sealed and frozen like this, stored in a normal freezer, and did not notice any degradation in flavor.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

went to the local LDS cannery today and bought:

25 pound box of rice
A starter kit with the following:
-two 5.4lb cans of rice
-two #10 cans of wheat grains
-one #10 can of oatmeal
-one #10 can of pinto beans

at the grocery store:
10 cans of sunkist albacore $1.00 each
twelve 1 pint mason jars
twelve 1 quart mason jars

gotta learn how to can..... also need to get a pressure canner.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 am

Best thing I've done to prep this week is start on a very low calorie diet. I figure in the tough times to come, being a big fat fatty isn't gonna help me much.

I'm, currently 260lbs and need to get down to 164lbs to be a healthy average weight for my height.

I'll keep y'all updated. :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm

franklin wrote:PB:
The single burner stove is carried by Walmart and Academy, among other places.
I've used one dailey for 10 years. Good stove. I recommend getting several extra generators and any other parts you can find as Coleman has changed hands several times and some of the owners have been more interested in milking money out of the brand name than supporting the brand name.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:went to the local LDS cannery today and bought:

25 pound box of rice
A starter kit with the following:
-two 5.4lb cans of rice
-two #10 cans of wheat grains
-one #10 can of oatmeal
-one #10 can of pinto beans

at the grocery store:
10 cans of sunkist albacore $1.00 each
twelve 1 pint mason jars
twelve 1 quart mason jars

gotta learn how to can..... also need to get a pressure canner.

It might be good to go easy on the tuna and load up on canned chicken instead--chicken doesn't have the mercury risk that tuna has, since tuna are near the top of the fish food chain and have mercury and other toxins accumulate in their tissues.

And as far as canning, check out some of my food-dehydration posts both here and on SurvivalPrep.net. Dehydration will greatly extend the shelf life of food, shrink the amount of space that food takes up and--the biggest selling point, IMO--you aren't going to have to worry about losing the vacuum seal on jars of dehydrated food and thus running the risk of botulism. I've been recommending the Nesco brand of dehydrators to people for a long time--I have 12 of them (well, 10 that are working well and two that are starting to die from old age). PM me if you'd like help getting started with dehydration. ;)

Also, it'd probably be much more cost-effective if you get a vacuum sealer (I bought the Snorkel-Vac model from Sorbent Systems) and lots of mylar bags. A couple weeks ago I bought almost 60 pounds of oats from Walmart for less than $50 and vacuum-sealed the oats in mylar:

If you do your own vacuum-sealing, you can save a TON of money instead of buying already vacuum-sealed cans of dry or dehydrated items.
Nickelless

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About