What have you done to prep today?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What have you done to prep today?

Postby justoneguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:49 am

Then into a wide mouth canning jar, to be pressure cooked for 90 minutes.
Jalepenos are in the background, those just got a hot water bath.
10-29-2012 006.JPG
10-29-2012 006.JPG (145.97 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
10-29-2012 002.JPG
10-29-2012 002.JPG (147.99 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 am

Nice justoneguy! how does bacon turn out after being canned like that? Do you put any liquid in with them?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:08 pm

No. I did not add any water to the jars.
They come out with about an inch of water [juice], and an inch and a half of grease in each jar.
1 of 12 jars did not seal, so I was able to sample it right away.
It came out looking raw, and i had to fry it up, to get a decent crunch
It seems to have lost just a little of it's flavor, but i did not use any of the liquid then.
I will use everything in with some beans next sampling.
009.JPG
009.JPG (144.94 KiB) Viewed 9485 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (150.41 KiB) Viewed 9485 times

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:16 pm

15 gallons water, multitool, flashlight, first aid kit, whistle, masks, latex gloves and bleach squirrelled away in the ready spot.

WaterBob ordered, 4 extra canteens, some idodine tabs, KiO3 tablets ordered.

Also ordered a 60 meal entree pack from Wise. That's won't get squirrelled away, though. It will probably get eaten. :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 am

Still filling Juice jugs washed then rinsed an two drops of bleach 8-)

Also reading Survival podcast and Steven Harris.

Attended Prep Fair Oct -20 in Oregon City at a LDS church Don't think I will join Cert
Main Speaker was great not Doom an Gloom but prep for most likely and build from that Demos on several ways to cook an store food, Radio net,different water filter system. ? Worth the trip 210 miles round trip not sure, as not enough new info to get Wife on board above the food we are stocking on now :) She did not go up
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 am

Rosco wrote:Still filling Juice jugs washed then rinsed an two drops of bleach 8-)

Also reading Survival podcast and Steven Harris.

Attended Prep Fair Oct -20 in Oregon City at a LDS church Don't think I will join Cert
Main Speaker was great not Doom an Gloom but prep for most likely and build from that Demos on several ways to cook an store food, Radio net,different water filter system. ? Worth the trip 210 miles round trip not sure, as not enough new info to get Wife on board above the food we are stocking on now :) She did not go up

Give her time, Rosco. I've been slowly working around the edges to get my fiancee to realize that NOT prepping beyond food is an unwise move. Look at the huge crisis on the ground in NY and NJ since Sandy hit. The biggest issue besides food is security. I pointed out to Laura last night that thinking that stuff can't happen where we are ignores the fact that I was mugged three years ago--even though up to that time I thought it couldn't happen to me. Given enough time and enough interaction with other people, stuff can happen that will make everything you're doing seem relevant and necessary. I've been working on this point of view with my fiancee for more than four years, and she's just now starting to see the light on some things. Be patient but gently persistent with your wife and she'll come around eventually, IMO.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Rosco wrote:Still filling Juice jugs washed then rinsed an two drops of bleach 8-)

I've had juice bottles give up from rough handling, but they stack nicely.

Pop bottles are also good. A friend in construction told of intentionally dropping his water bottle from the 3rd floor to see if it would burst. Nope.

You pay's your nickel, you takes your choice.

Rosco wrote:Attended Prep Fair Oct -20 in Oregon City at a LDS church Don't think I will join Cert

Don't emphasize prep, emphasize frugality and savings. Consumers save by buying in bulk. (Merchants save/make more with JIT purchasing, minimal stock on hand.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Nickelless wrote: I pointed out to Laura last night that thinking that stuff can't happen where we are ...

Darn. Thought I had a link to a global, cumulative tropical cyclone map showing several hurricanes that had gone up the Mississippi and Ohio River valleys. Lots of rain, lots of floods.

Maybe a little poking around on this link will help:

http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/summary.html

And, a TEOTWAWKI event can be very personal, like a car wreck or house fire. No need for a global problem to make having extra stuff on hand a good idea.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 am

I picked up another 250 pounds of rice today at Sam's Club--filled up 10 5-gallon mylar bags inside buckets, sealed 'em up and added them to my deep pantry!
Nickelless

Postby eventurer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Great thread - thanks for sharing all this info.

Seems I have a lot of work to do...
How do you go bankrupt? First gradually, then suddenly....
http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html
eventurer

Postby Merwanseth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am

Bringing Survivalism into the mainstream? An interesting article...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food ... _sell.html
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Merwanseth wrote:Bringing Survivalism into the mainstream? An interesting article...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food ... _sell.html

The tone from article's author largely makes fun of the whole thing. Which for me is fine in a way because if people are making fun of this then that means they are still unaware there is an issue, which gives me more time to prepare for my family. If the MSM really started to take these warnings at face value and communciated that, and people believed it, then we would be - at most - weeks away from a major panic and collapse.

As far as the objections.,,

There is an optimum balance to everything, and a best way to approach things. Buying survival products from a paid coordinator, without plan or thought or advance testing, is like buying gold from Goldline or Universal - it's simply insane. There is are best ways to do this that avoids almost all (if not all) of the objections that have been provided.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby justoneguy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 pm

as a follow up to my first time canning bacon,
I found this article at survivalsherpa that suggests cooking the bacon [limp],
before putting it thru the canning process.
My canned bacon was kinda limp and falling apart.
this seems to do a better job, I'm going to try it .
http://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/201 ... the-world/

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm

A few days ago I picked up a case of the little propane bottles while my wife rolled her eyes asking what I needed THAT for.

Tonight a falling tree took out the neighbor's power, and I headed over with some flashlights and a propane lantern with a couple bottles of fuel to help keep their house warm and bright. While she was carrying the bottles over, she admitted she was wrong! :shock:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 pm

"Sorry I was wr..." "wrrr..." "wrrrooo..." "wrrrooonnnn.." "wrroonngg..."

:)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rosco » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 pm

68Camaro wrote:"Sorry I was wr..." "wrrr..." "wrrrooo..." "wrrrooonnnn.." "wrroonngg..."

:)

Wife an I say that just that way :oops:

:wave: Now down in Sun for 3 months is small Motor Home tough to prep when you have very limited Storage ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 am

Engineer wrote:A few days ago I picked up a case of the little propane bottles while my wife rolled her eyes asking what I needed THAT for.

Tonight a falling tree took out the neighbor's power, and I headed over with some flashlights and a propane lantern with a couple bottles of fuel to help keep their house warm and bright. While she was carrying the bottles over, she admitted she was wrong! :shock:

I used to get comments like this from various family members when I encouraged them to stock up on food, medicine, different tools, etc. I don't hear comments like this much anymore. Keep on stocking up and don't worry about what others think!
Nickelless

Postby John_doe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm

http://now.msn.com/end-of-world-fears-s ... -in-russia

good to see my moonshine comment wasnt too far off base.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Went to the spring extravaganza flea market with the wife today. Not a lot of "bargins", everything seemed high, but did pick up a "Dazey Sharpit model 900", which is a hand-crank geared stone sharpener which would be excellent for machetes and the like. Paid $10.

Dazey Sharpit small.jpg
Dazey Sharpit small.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Appears to be selling for $25 and up plus shipping on the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAZEY-SHARPIT-P ... 0910765791

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DAZEY-C ... vi-content

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sharpit ... vi-content
68Camaro

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

LCS had .223! Steel-case, but still! Grabbed 100 rounds - all I had cash for. (I don't own the correct tool, but hopefully someone who does would like to trade some of their .22 or 30-30 or 30-06.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Future egg-producers. Then, future dinner.
Attachments
chicks.jpg
chicks.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 8988 times
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

That is sweet onebiteatatime! I did chickens last year and a few are still here but I think Im going to try ducks this next year so the roosters dont annoy the neighbors. I never had better eggs! So much richer and tastier! Are you going to let yours freerange a bit?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Treetop wrote:That is sweet onebiteatatime! I did chickens last year and a few are still here but I think Im going to try ducks this next year so the roosters dont annoy the neighbors. I never had better eggs! So much richer and tastier! Are you going to let yours freerange a bit?

They're city chicks, so I'm going to build them a chicken tractor so they can have some fun with the yard-bugs, they'll have a permanent run attached to the coop. If they don't try to fly away, when we're outdoors, we can let them run - we only have a 4' chain link fence right now though... have to play it by ear.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm

dont forget cats! Most likely the chickens would stay in a yard such as you describe but they might not if you give them the option. cats are a definite potential problem though for many who raise them in such areas. Chicken tractors are great if you have a good design, Ive seen some poorly made ones that dont hold up well.

Ever consider rabbits? More efficient to raise and deal with if meat is the goal rather then eggs. Meat is similar to chicken. Even many places that dont allow chickens allow them also which is great. Might also point out its very easy to breed them in a grid down situation with just things you can collect no one else is likely to want.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm

dont forget cats!
The coop is sound. (Back of my garage.) We don't get a lot of visitors during the day. They will be locked in during the night. Been doing a lot of reading on this, but this is our first attempt at urban chicks.

Ever consider rabbits?
Considered, but haven't done it yet. Gonna try this for a year and see how we do. If the egg-layers go well, we may consider meat-birds in a couple months. My wife had rabbits when she was a kid. This is as much for the children to get involved with their food as it is for prep.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About