What have you done to prep today?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What have you done to prep today?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 pm

There are several different sellers on Amazon (Purity, World Grocer) and the latter is slightly cheaper and supposedly US sourced (can't confirm that). However, in further research I found this blog question/comment which starts with the Purity brand.

Q: This is the second time I've bought a bottle of Purity Farms organic ghee, and once again, I found it disgusting. I wanted to use it because I'm under the impression that it's less vulnerable to burning or oxidation than any other non-hydrogenated fat (please correct me if I'm wrong), aside from non-hydrogenated lard (can *non-hydrogenated* lard be found in the grocery store, or does one need to make it oneself?). If anyone out there actually likes ghee, could you recommend another brand and tell me where I might find it (perhaps an Indian grocery store)? By the way, if you're thinking that vegetable oils are healthier than ghee because they have less saturated fat, I suggest you do some research on the subject using sources other than the mainstream American medical system at, for example, http://www.thegreatcholesterolcon.com/

A: you are absoloutely right about all the properties of ghee. however a lot of mainstream companies confuse ghee with clarified butter. the ingredients of both are identical however the processing is very very different. calrified butter is made by removing the water and protiens from butter using vaccumm technology and centrifuge. however, ghee is made by evaporating the water by cooking and filtering the cooked/burnt proteins. hence the biggest difference as you found out is the cooked and uncooked flavour. if you are looking for pure desi ghee, try nanak brand ghee at almost all indian grocery stores. in canada it si also available in some costco's, loblaws and other chain stores.

Before I buy anything, has anyone actually tasted any of these specific products?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Another comment from a cooking site.

The Difference Between Clarified Butter and Ghee
Ghee is actually a version of clarified butter. It is cooked (over low heat) longer than typical clarified butter until the milk solids begin to caramelize. This gives the ghee a nuttier, more complex flavor than traditional clarified butter.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:42 pm

I have got a few cans on order. If you want to try one send me a pm and I can mail it to you. :D

68Camaro you want to take one for the team?
Copper Catcher

Postby Treetop » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Ive had ghee before. Im not sure the specific brand however. I dont like it as much as I do butter, but its good. I had no idea it stored so well.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:I have got a few cans on order. If you want to try one send me a pm and I can mail it to you. :D

Well... it's with a sense of fear and trepidation, but... yeah, I'll give one a try. This the Pleasant Hill brand? I'll also look locally at some indian shops and see what the choices are.

Would be nice to be able to have some butter for some toast, when the SHTF and I can't get to a dairy farm, but maybe that's expecting too much.

If any of these are at all tolerable I'll explore further and see if any are better than others.
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 am

A whole hog went into the freezer today. I'll be eating good this winter! :D
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:38 am

Packed up and sealed a 5 gallon bucket of individually wrapped hard candies.
68Camaro

Postby justoneguy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:46 am

I have 3 of these Energizer led lanterns.
I love these things. 4 "D" cells with led lights.
I have a 12 pack of back up batteries, but have not run thru the 1st set yet even after tons of use
night light selection with just 1 led on, leave it on all night.
It makes it easy to find where the kids left it. :clap:
Energizer's specs -
Product Specs
Features and Functions
Bright white LED's deliver 96 lumens and 135 hours of run time
Long run time gives users security for extended power outages
Folds out for 360º area light and folds in for compact storage
3 Mode slide switch - High, Low & Nightlight
Carrying Handle
Runs on 4 D batteries (not included)

http://www.energizer.com/lighting-produ ... ntern.aspx
energizer lantern.jpg
energizer lantern.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 7307 times
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

For rechargeable batteries, Sanyo's Eneloop are very reliable, and their Super Power Pack is a good deal, though the ones I bought a few months ago were even cheaper than they are now. The ones I bought each came with 12 AA, 4 AAA, 2 C and D Spacers, 4-battery charger and storage case for $40.

They also sell a USB charger that you can hook up to one of those portable solar panels.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

brian0918 wrote:For rechargeable batteries, Sanyo's Eneloop are very reliable, and their Super Power Pack is a good deal, though the ones I bought a few months ago were even cheaper than they are now.

Are these 1.2 volt batteries?
will 4.8 volts work in my 6 volt lantern?
will it hurt to try?

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

I think they're 1.25 volt NiMH each. It shouldn't hurt to try.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Ordered from Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com)
Item: IN FG S212 - Canned Heirloom Garden Seeds - 6 - $28.49
Item: IN FC L400 - LRP (Long-Range-Patrol) Entree Combo - 2 - $16.99
Item: IN FG S150 - Organic Sprouting Seeds Combo - 2 - $15.95
Item: IN KX M003 - 3-Day MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) Food Supply - 1 - $38.95

Item Subtotal: $275.77
Basic Shipping: $12.00
Order Total: $287.77
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:06 pm

shinnosuke... buying those survival packs of seeds, are better then nothing, but they arent the cheapest way to go, nor are they the ideal for most of us. Id have to look into the exact varieties in your pack to see if its likely to do well in your area, but those are kinda one size fits all. Usually they do use somewhat of one size fits all varieties as well, (varieties that do pretty well in a wide rage of places) but we are talking survival here, for those being needed. So perhaps its to late since you already bought those, but spending a bit of time and selecting out varieties already proven locally or likely to handle the types of stressors locally will make a major difference in outcomes.

Its easy to can seeds by the way. you need one of the foodsaver type attachments for mason jars and either the food saver or one of those handpumps for bleeding brakes. One bad thing about seeds saved in a sealed way like this, is they can go bad faster once exposed to the air. (will be the same for any air tight seeds) so having a way to re seal them might be wise. Of course if you have a harvest you have new seed, but backups are good.

Id really consider people plant orchards, but another thing is grow a few things. Pick a few types of plants and grow just enough to see what it is like. the entire garden could be 10 plants of a few types. wouldnt take much effort at all, but would give very valuable experience.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Treetop wrote:shinnosuke... buying those survival packs of seeds, are better then nothing, but they arent the cheapest way to go, nor are they the ideal for most of us. Id have to look into the exact varieties in your pack to see if its likely to do well in your area, but those are kinda one size fits all. Usually they do use somewhat of one size fits all varieties as well, (varieties that do pretty well in a wide rage of places) but we are talking survival here, for those being needed. So perhaps its to late since you already bought those, but spending a bit of time and selecting out varieties already proven locally or likely to handle the types of stressors locally will make a major difference in outcomes.

Its easy to can seeds by the way. you need one of the foodsaver type attachments for mason jars and either the food saver or one of those handpumps for bleeding brakes. One bad thing about seeds saved in a sealed way like this, is they can go bad faster once exposed to the air. (will be the same for any air tight seeds) so having a way to re seal them might be wise. Of course if you have a harvest you have new seed, but backups are good.

Id really consider people plant orchards, but another thing is grow a few things. Pick a few types of plants and grow just enough to see what it is like. the entire garden could be 10 plants of a few types. wouldnt take much effort at all, but would give very valuable experience.

Challenge to you, Zak, if you have the time. If you could create your own zoned seed packs that met your recommendations, a) what zones would you create, and b) what seeds would you put in each pack for each zone? I for my part would be most interested in the zones that included a) central Florida and b) the appalachian region encompassing eastern TN, SW VA, western NC, north Georgia, NW SC.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh, and because I asked first, I'm hoping I'll get first dibs on an answer. :)

The rest of you just wait until I get my answer... ;)
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Treetop wrote:shinnosuke... buying those survival packs of seeds, are better then nothing, but they arent the cheapest way to go, nor are they the ideal for most of us. Id have to look into the exact varieties in your pack to see if its likely to do well in your area, but those are kinda one size fits all. Usually they do use somewhat of one size fits all varieties as well, (varieties that do pretty well in a wide rage of places) but we are talking survival here, for those being needed. So perhaps its to late since you already bought those, but spending a bit of time and selecting out varieties already proven locally or likely to handle the types of stressors locally will make a major difference in outcomes.

Zak,
No, me first. Just kidding.

I have long admired your knowledge in this area. As you correctly surmised, I just went with a general selection of seeds without considering what would grow best in my area. That thought never even entered my mind. One problem with trying to select for "my area" is that I no longer consider my current location in San Antonio to be viable long-term. I am looking for land north of where I'm at now. Not sure how far north I will go. Very likely to be completely out of Texas. Perhaps once that's settled, I can start snooping around for solutions where I'll be living. Thanks so much for your advice.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:49 pm

In all honesty 68, Ive done most of my gardening in ohio, and now northern (cold nights, short seasons) new mexico.

If I spent some time on it I could go through some of my favorite seed companies and select out varieties likely to do well. Its the kind of thing that either takes a bit of research or trial and error. Frankly a decent place to start is LOCALLY grown produce, hybrid or not, grown with chemicals or not. Although nothing GMO, since its not legal and imo potentially unsafe.

It is true with hybrid seed wont breed true to type,but that will simply leave you with some variability, and after a few seasons of taking seed from the best plants you will end up with something adapted to your exact conditions and growing methods. you know if a local farmer grew it, its something that does well there. You cant get everything that way, but its a good place to start imo. And its cheap if your buying stuff you already eat, many things you can still save seed.

Personally I think going a bit beyond that, and getting perhaps a pack of seed from a dozen varieties of a certain crop likely to do well is wise. this is overkill to most, but Im a avid back yard plant breeder so Im biased.

Seriously though, if you spend a bit of time on it you can do much better then any survival pack seed package. Honestly I dont really have the time to spend a few hours looking up things for regions other then my own. Sorry.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

24 cups chopped carrots
16 cups celery
4 cups onion
1 cup bullion
1/4 cup parsley
40 cups chicken
salt and pepper to taste.
1 pressure canner
= enough chicken soup to have or give away to someone sick at a moment's notice
029.JPG
029.JPG (148.47 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I have got a few cans on order. If you want to try one send me a pm and I can mail it to you. :D

CC's can of Ghee arrived yesterday. It's the "World Grocer" ghee that I've seen sold several places including Emergency Preparedness and Amazon.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_ ... %2014%20oz

EP has an entire kitchen sequence on this same product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSiG9gP ... r_embedded

I put the can in the fridge last night so it would be spreadable this morning on toast, and just had some on some dark german whole wheat bread, with my coffee. One thing is that it's no-salt butter, so if you're used to salted butter it tastes slightly flat. But... it's good. I like it. I probably like fresh high-quality butter better, for bread/toast, but nothing wrong with this. And as the video shows, for cooking etc it's got to be better than regular butter. It's about as expensive per pound as the pricey store butter, so not cheap and I probably won't use it on a daily basis, but I'll probably keep a can on hand for cooking.

I recommend it! Thanks CC.

CC also sent a couple of small cans of canned cheese. I'll be trying one of those at lunch.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Follow-up. Used the ghee as a condiment on some lima beans, it was fine. Made some popcorn on the stove (usually use olive oil) and the family uniformly loved it. While the ghee was heating there was an overly strong buttery smell, buttery but still different, that wasn't really pleasant to me. But it subsided as it heated, and it cooked well, and the final popcorn was good. The result had a bit too much butter flavor for me, I was buttered-out by it, but everyone else loved it.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Further follow-up. Have used it in cooking several times and it does extremely well at that. It's okay as a fresh spread/condiment, but it doesn't really shine there. If it's all I had I would be okay with it for spread/condiment as well. However, it might become a cooking only product for me.

Today my order from Emergency Preparedness arrived with some cans of the Kiwi "Red Feather" brand canned creamery butter. I'm not (yet) clear as to if it is truly canned butter (in which case, what is the shelf life?) or clarified butter, or ghee. I'll be opening a can later tonight or in the morning.

Oh - CC, the canned cheese was very good. Not sure what the flavor was (nothing on the can) but it tasted a bit like smoked cheddar.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:28 am

Red Feather canned butter from New Zealand.

Opened it last night and transferred to a frig container. This stuff is real butter. Not clarified. Not ghee. Has to be refrigerated once open, but has a very long (unknown, indefinite) shelf life known to be in the years. I ate it on my toast this morning, and it's good! If you want true butter, this is the stuff.

The clarified/ghee... okay in a pinch, and good for cooking, but Red Feather is the way to go. Pricey, but it's already a premium butter, and it's not much more than Kerry Gold off the shelf. I won't be using this daily because the fresh butter is cheaper, but I will be happy to keep a few cans of this stuff around.
68Camaro

Postby justoneguy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 am

68Camaro wrote:Red Feather canned butter from New Zealand.

Thanks, I have been wondering about buying some

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 am

I don't think I'd posted yet that I got a 14.3-cubic-foot chest freezer delivered last week. One of the items I'm ramping up my purchase of is bacon, both for flavor and for the fat content to make sure I have adequate fat calories in my preps. So far I have 18 pounds of Wright brand bacon pieces and ends stashed in the freezer. I'm going to ramp up my bacon purchases in the next month or so after I take care of some other things, before corn and soybean prices start to push up bacon prices.
Nickelless

Postby justoneguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 am

Hre's how i store my bacon, love "Wright bacon" BTW
No refridgeration needed. more pics next page post
10-29-2012 004.JPG
10-29-2012 004.JPG (150.58 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
10-29-2012 007.JPG
10-29-2012 007.JPG (145.74 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
10-29-2012 008.JPG
10-29-2012 008.JPG (149.24 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Last edited by justoneguy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About