Recommended Reading List

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Recommended Reading List

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Things could get bad, fall to pieces. We all know that, but how many internalize it and actually take action to start prepping? Wrapping your mind around all the potential hazards that could ensue a TEOTWAWKI event is near impossible. So... I've made it much simpler (and enjoyable) for you. I present for your consideration a list of novels, feel free to contribute your own recommendations, that I have read which will put you in the frame of mind "ok, this is a possibility... maybe I should DO something."

Patriots, by James Wesley Rawles (this is actually a survivalist handbook)
World Made by Hand, by James Kunstler
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
One Second After, by William Forstchen (really liked this one)

and I just requested this one from my library:

Without Warning by John Birmingham

have you guys read any other good "survival after apocalypse" type books?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Recommended Reading List

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Someone needs to show McCarthy where the " is on his keyboard. Annoyed the daylights out of me.

Otherwise, it is a story about a guy who was not all that knowlegable being able to survive a long time out of sheer stubborness. He passed up several excellent chances to upgrade his gear, improve their lives, etc, and did not do so.

Never did figure out what was supposed to be the source of the disaster. The only thing I could think of was a meteor or comet, but where would one hit that flamed all the Atlantic Coast without flaming west of the Appalachians?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Mossy wrote:Someone needs to show McCarthy where the " is on his keyboard. Annoyed the daylights out of me.

Otherwise, it is a story about a guy who was not all that knowlegable being able to survive a long time out of sheer stubborness. He passed up several excellent chances to upgrade his gear, improve their lives, etc, and did not do so.

Never did figure out what was supposed to be the source of the disaster. The only thing I could think of was a meteor or comet, but where would one hit that flamed all the Atlantic Coast without flaming west of the Appalachians?

Yeah, I hold pretty much the same opinion of that book. Still... useful for imagining what scavenging would be like.
beauanderos

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 pm

A lazy read you can watch this one "Money As Debt-Full Length Documentary" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3sKwwAaCU
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 pm

henrysmedford wrote:A lazy read you can watch this one "Money As Debt-Full Length Documentary" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3sKwwAaCU

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out tomorrow ;)
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:37 am

I am about half way thru reading Without Warning by John Birmingham. I don't say this lightly, as I have read thousands of novels throughout the years. This is one of the better ones. Extremely well written, very interesting plot, thought-provoking to consider the ramifications that would affect us all should anything, even something regional or merely local, were to affect a civilian population in similar nature. If you are doing ANY prepping at all... you need to prep your imagination for things that might happen. Not the hypothetical scenario painted in this story... but for what I consider to be VERY accurate portrayals of the psychological impact that the characters experience in the aftermath of an immense tragedy. This book should be on everyone's recommended reading list. Especially, YOU, Neil.
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:04 am

beauanderos wrote:I am about half way thru reading Without Warning by John Birmingham. I don't say this lightly, as I have read thousands of novels throughout the years. This is one of the better ones. Extremely well written, very interesting plot, thought-provoking to consider the ramifications that would affect us all should anything, even something regional or merely local, were to affect a civilian population in similar nature. If you are doing ANY prepping at all... you need to prep your imagination for things that might happen. Not the hypothetical scenario painted in this story... but for what I consider to be VERY accurate portrayals of the psychological impact that the characters experience in the aftermath of an immense tragedy. This book should be on everyone's recommended reading list. Especially, YOU, Neil.

done and done, here's for you Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8b6Pls6 ... re=related
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 am

When Money Dies
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:15 am

neilgin1 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I am about half way thru reading Without Warning by John Birmingham. I don't say this lightly, as I have read thousands of novels throughout the years. This is one of the better ones. Extremely well written, very interesting plot, thought-provoking to consider the ramifications that would affect us all should anything, even something regional or merely local, were to affect a civilian population in similar nature. If you are doing ANY prepping at all... you need to prep your imagination for things that might happen. Not the hypothetical scenario painted in this story... but for what I consider to be VERY accurate portrayals of the psychological impact that the characters experience in the aftermath of an immense tragedy. This book should be on everyone's recommended reading list. Especially, YOU, Neil.

done and done, here's for you Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8b6Pls6 ... re=related

Thanks Neil. Just watched it, and it seems as if it boils down to vigilance, readiness, preparation of the mind and heart, and strength of character. One point that addresses a conclusion I reached personally a few days ago is health. It points out that a warrior must never over eat, or over drink. I didn't get to be a hundred pounds overeight because I didn't like eating. So... I decided to quit being so self-indulgent, for a number of reasons. If I lose wt... my blood pressure might be self-regulating and I could dispense with the need for medications which might not, under worst case scenarios, be easy to source. Second... rather than buying survival gear to fit... I already have my camos and BDU's from my Air Guard days 33 years ago... I just need to lose 75 lbs to fit into them. Third... if the time ever comes that requires mobility and agility, fight or flight, both my endurance and flexibility will be enhanced by being at the correct wt. I have decided wt loss to proper wt... is a VERY important prep, and it's something that money can't buy. It requires diligence, adherence, and rigid self-control. What good does it do to have wealth, and stealth in hand... without health?
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:47 am

Roger that. Right on Ray. Do it!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 am

beauanderos wrote:Thanks Neil. Just watched it, and it seems as if it boils down to vigilance, readiness, preparation of the mind and heart, and strength of character. One point that addresses a conclusion I reached personally a few days ago is health. It points out that a warrior must never over eat, or over drink. I didn't get to be a hundred pounds overeight because I didn't like eating. So... I decided to quit being so self-indulgent, for a number of reasons. If I lose wt... my blood pressure might be self-regulating and I could dispense with the need for medications which might not, under worst case scenarios, be easy to source. Second... rather than buying survival gear to fit... I already have my camos and BDU's from my Air Guard days 33 years ago... I just need to lose 75 lbs to fit into them. Third... if the time ever comes that requires mobility and agility, fight or flight, both my endurance and flexibility will be enhanced by being at the correct wt. I have decided wt loss to proper wt... is a VERY important prep, and it's something that money can't buy

I haven't been on this site very long but this is the first time I see someone mention health as a prepping tool. I never have and probably never will quite understand why people don't put health before anything else. Most people I've come across in life think money/wealth is everything. I guess that comes with being raised in Orange County, CA. Sure, money helps to get the necessary treatment when one is sick. But really, what good is money/wealth if your health is in the gutter?

beauanderos wrote:It requires diligence, adherence, and rigid self-control. What good does it do to have wealth, and stealth in hand... without health?

I've been singing this tune for over 5 years, since that's when I started to take control of my health and well being. My motto is: A healthy (physically and mentally) person can accomplish anything in life.

Good for you for taking control of your health!!! Please keep us updated on your progress.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About