What Could You Do For $20 In a Day?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What Could You Do For $20 In a Day?

Postby cooyon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Search thrift stores for collectible paperback books (Gold Medal, Ace, Dell mapbacks, etc), can get a lot for ones in nice condition.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Thogey wrote:I know old ginseng roots can bring big bucks.

My father digs a lot of wild ginseng. I think last year it was worth more than $1,000 per pound.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Today I went scrapping and found almost two facecord of firewood cut and piled at the road. This helps big time as I burn wood for heat and usually buy mine at $70. to 80. Per facecord.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Another score. Answered Craigslist ad for free firewood, just finished picking up third load of red oak. Heavy, hardwood, cut to size, all I need to do is split. Approx 2 facecord. Very good week.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Xelint » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:38 am

Do online surveys or enter every random contest you can find.
Xelint

Postby pitw » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Pick a couple deer shed antlers.
Pick can's/bottles.
Gather a couple hornet's nests for interior decorating.
Pick berries in season.
Cut firewood.
Sell myself to a cougar or younger.
Make lefsa and sell a dozen rounds.
Find a couple cow skulls to sell.
Dig a couple small evergreens and sell.
So many ways to make $20 that it probably cost me $20 in time just thinking about it. :shock: :shock:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:46 pm

pitw wrote:Find a couple cow skulls to sell.

There's a market for this sort of thing?
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm

People buy the dambdest things to put in their yards. Instead of scrapping old equipment I part it out and sell pieces for way more money. Sold an old potato planter last year for a grand to a fellow who had never seen one and was gonna use it as a lawn ornament. Cow skulls sell well but buffalo skulls I pick outta kegs fetch up to $300. Did I ever say I love idjits.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:
pitw wrote:Find a couple cow skulls to sell.

There's a market for this sort of thing?

I could get $50.00 for a complete cow skull easy..here in Saint Louis, MO
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:22 pm

At an auction sale yesterday I saw these sell for $55.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:46 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Go to golf courses and pick up stray golf balls. Leave behind any that belong to the golf course driving range. Sort through the rest picking out the most popular brands and sell those on eBay.

I had a friend that used to live down stream from the golf course (think Green River, in the Santa Ana Canyon). We used to grab fins, mask, snorkel, underwater light, goody bag, and pick out the water hazards around 2:AM about half way thru Summer, cleaned the balls up and resold. Repeat in the Fall.

We also used to harvest sea urchins, agar, and clean the bottom of boats in the harbor (think Newport) for extra $$, but you had to have access to a boat for the first two. ~Sigh~ Spending the summer all day on/in the pacific ocean diving on hooka. Those were the days.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:54 am

thought I would follow up. I have continued to collect firewood as it's available. So far everything has been free cumulative total about 15 face cord since starting in September. Also scored a 5 ton gently used log splitter for $50.00 from a guy a few streets over from my house. He also gave me about five facecord of firewood.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 am

Sounds like you got heat looked after for cheap. I suppose you got all hardwood too?
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Most is oak, ash, maple, some odds and ends seasoned stuff (about three f.c. from a couple who split, he collected and when they split she wanted it and him gone). 80% of firewood is seasoned ready to burn.
Talked to boss at work (not wife) and he says I can have scrap stainless steel from work to fabricate a heat exchanger for my fireplace. 1" stainless tubing and other necessary pieces. One of our welders has TIG welder and a bender in his personal shop and willing to help. This will return more heat into the house and recapture all those lost BTU's. I don't get excited about much these days however I have been very blessed by the Lord lately.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:38 pm

frugi wrote:I know several people who drive downtown everyday to go to work, and each pay $10.00 a day to park. I could offer to drive them to work and drive them home for $5.00 round trip. So, I would take all three of them at the same time, and on the way I would stop at the dollar store and pick up 1 can of brown shoe polish, 1 can of black shoe polish, 1 shoe shine brush, 1 micro fiber cloth, & 1 bottle of shoe dressing. Drop everyone off at work, park my car in the garage for $10.00, and sit out in front of their building all day and charge $1.00 each for shoe shines. I would easily make $20.00

I like this one. Creative and multiple revenue streams. Depending on how close they are together, I feel like you might be selling yourself short. As long as its not like a public transportation thing (and more a personalized , unique tailored solution) , they are not paying gas so even 8 dollars should still be a relative bargain.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris819 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 am

I really like this post. Some very great ideas

Metal detecting.
Begging. Asking 80 people for a quarter
Walk around parking lots looking for dropped money
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby glass » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:15 am

Learned alot of life lessons pushing a mower as a kid
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 pm

you can stand in the parking lot of aldi and return peoples carts to the corral in order to keep the 25 cent cart deposit.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby drofdrugs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Drive to all locations near your home on a Sunday and check the coin cashing machines. I just found $5.78 in just one machine at a grocery store. Not sure if it was the 2 stuck together quarters or a Canadian dime that caused it, but who cares....score!!!
drofdrugs

Postby bluejuice915 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm

frugi wrote:I know several people who drive downtown everyday to go to work, and each pay $10.00 a day to park. I could offer to drive them to work and drive them home for $5.00 round trip. So, I would take all three of them at the same time, and on the way I would stop at the dollar store and pick up 1 can of brown shoe polish, 1 can of black shoe polish, 1 shoe shine brush, 1 micro fiber cloth, & 1 bottle of shoe dressing. Drop everyone off at work, park my car in the garage for $10.00, and sit out in front of their building all day and charge $1.00 each for shoe shines. I would easily make $20.00

There are people who do this for strangers. It's called Uber. :?

Also, I'm surprised no one ever mentioned lemonade stands or a car wash service. :)
But them, I'm a year late to this thread. Who am I to say?
-_-
I want to be wrong, except it's so satisfying to say I was right.
... and the world descended into chaos as the select survivors cried about the surrounding stupidity.
bluejuice915

Postby rum3002576 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 am

i would trap a nusience woodchuck collect my 20 bucks and use the woodchuck for making more trapping bait
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About