What have you done to prep today?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What have you done to prep today?

Postby Treetop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Just for reference its cheaper in my experience to raise meat rabbits to butcher size then it is meat birds. Unless the birds are freeranging much of their diets. Nothing wrong with meat birds, just thought Id throw that out there.

I like that my kids are involved as well. They especially like the rabbit babies and luckily loose interest in them as they mature so I havent had any issues when butcher time comes.

My 5 year old started getting into little wars with the roosters. until I looked out one day and he was being swarmed. At which point we just ate them.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Treetop wrote:My 5 year old started getting into little wars with the roosters. until I looked out one day and he was being swarmed. At which point we just ate them.

Yeah, that would be a pretty clear signal its time to cull a bird or two. :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby donarizona » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 am

Finished construction of two homemade Malaysian fire starters by compressed air. Test run they do not work! Might have to resort to commercial tender. You never know when a skill to start a fire might come in handy.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-04-07 at 10.05.09 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-04-07 at 10.05.09 PM.png (148.61 KiB) Viewed 13348 times
donarizona

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 pm

City Chicks.... :roll:
Attachments
CitiChicks.jpg
CitiChicks.jpg (79.02 KiB) Viewed 13324 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:01 am

Milk...

Try the Provident Pantry brand, from Emergency Essentials - beprepared.com, reconstitute using the instructions using the agitating pitcher.

I don't do testimonials on products too often. But I'm sold on the Red Feather canned butter, and keep looking for other long-term storage products that are so good that I would be willing to just use only them (depending on price) rather than the regular store item.

I've been reading for months (in their emails and brochures) of the "Provident Pantry" brand of nonfat dried milk, and how - according to the testimonials, which of course they would say this or they wouldn't be testimonials - that it tasted just like regular dairy milk. I'm thinking, sure, right. I hate dried milk. Nasty aftertaste, a last resort option, etc. I have some traditional Carnation dried product on the shelf, but I'll probably never use it because it'll go bad before SHTF, etc.

But I finally broke down and bought a can of Provident Pantry, and with it the mixing/storage pitcher (which I believe is necessary for best performance) . Arrived yesterday. The instructions said to mix using warm (I used room temp) water, then refrigerate overnight before use. I mixed a quart last night. Cautiously tried it this morning. Color - hmmm, looks like milk (low fat, of course, a bit thin) pale white - not a funky yellow color. Then I smelled it - hmmm, doesn't smell like dried milk, smells like real milk. Took a taske - amazing! It tastes like store-bought milk! I then did a taste test with my recent store purchase of Publix 1%, and except for the expected discernable difference between 1% and skim, I couldn't tell the difference.

Based on one use so far, I would recommend it. As soon as I finish the existing store-bought gallon I'll be attempting to use only the Provident for a time and see if I find any short-comings. It is slightly higher in price, but suitable for long-term storage (canned with O2 absorbers) so you will never lose product from spoilage, never run out and have to make a special trip go to the store.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 am

Here's how trapped you'll feel if you don't do anything to prepare today.

The whole article here: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/w ... e_08132013

The following list exemplifies just how much a person has to lose if they have failed to prepare themselves for emergencies. After a large enough catastrophe, the recovery time frame can be very long term, or potentially never for certain critical needs.

1. No clean water coming out of the faucets to drink.

2. No hot or cold water to shower, bathe with or wash your hands.

3. No washing machines or dishwashers to clean your clothes or dirty dishes.

4. No flushing toilets.

5. No heat or air conditioning, not even fans.

6. No light at night.

7. No grocery stores or home delivered food, no restaurants, no food period.

8. No trash pick up of waste that will mound up and collect strong diseases.

9. No medications, especially antibiotics, or simple over the counter remedies either.

10. No vitamin or mineral supplements to help keep your body from breaking down.

11. No 911 help service at all.

12. No mechanical transportation with any fuel to run anything.

13. No protection, no law enforcement.

14. No communications; no internet, no TV, no radio, no clue what is going on.

15. No phones, no way of talking to people miles away, cut off and blind.

16. No refrigeration, no freezers, no food preservation from going bad quickly.

17. No stoves or microwaves to cook food.

18. No easy prepare meals.

19. No toilet paper, and no good alternative to toilet paper to those unaware.

20. No feminine toiletries.

21. No pest control against animals and insects that are very hazardous to your health.

22. No utilities; no gas, no electricity, no way to make anything function in your home.

23. No advanced warning of weather, war, or other life threatening events.

24. No odor control from rotting wastes and rotting corpses that stink too bad to mention.

25. No healthy food to maintain proper nutrition, leading to sickness and weakness.

26. No proper basic hygiene and bacteria control on the body, especially the teeth.

27. No repair of tooth cavities or other life threatening oral problems.

28. No pain control, no aspirin, no way to ease pain like from a bad tooth.

29. No basic first aid to treat minor injuries that will become major.

30. No replacements for worn out clothes, shoes, socks, underwear.

31. No replacement parts to fix something that is broken.

32. No soap or disinfectants.

33. No outdoor protection from the elements such as sunburns.

34. No safety net that society provides. No welfare, no assistance, no government food.

35. No sexual protection from the wide array of deadly diseases that are transmittable.

36. No treatment for the sick and dying.

37. No modern power tools to repair all that will be broken, no workable anything.

38. No way of cleaning up messes that range from irritating to hazardous.

39. No care, no help, no chance for medical needs of infants and children.

40. No protection against rabies.

41. No means of easing chronic depression that will be very widespread and intense.

42. No outlets of entertainment to distract people from the overwhelming despair and fear.

43. No familiar and basic everyday needs that give comfort and security to most people.

44. No way of getting to family and friends because of distance, or too dangerous to even try.

45. No respectable way of laying to rest someone dear to you.

46. No way of protecting yourself and family from roaming gangs without enough firepower.

47. No workable answers from rudimentary to complex problems that will present themselves often.

48. No calling up your local professional help to repair something essential to you.

49. No feeling of being civilized as losing everything and becoming dirty and unkept does this to anyone.

50. No way out without having prepared for such an enormous downfall of society.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Getting in Shape....

Since becoming a non-smoker (which I should hae listed here.....), I've made the decision to get this old body back into shape... here's the last few days:

13th 2 mile run, 14th X-train (yoga), 15th 2 mile run/weights, 16th rest, 17th X-train (yoga), 18th 2.5 miles, 19th Weights, Stretching, 20th 2.5 miles, 21st X-train (bike), today 2 miles/weights.

Keeping the distance short for now because I'm re-learning how to run..... barefoot. Apparently this is the best way to run injury-free.... I'm putting that theory to the test.

OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Hello everyone and welcome to the Let's Buy OBAAT Some Shoes Foundation. Did you know your small contribution of just one roll of ASEs will go a long way in putting shoes on this forum's most needy member? Yes, after administrative expenses of just 97% are deducted, we are totally dedicated to the idea of buying shoes for OBAAT. Not actually buying him any shoes, mind you...just the IDEA of buying him some shoes.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

shinnosuke wrote:Hello everyone and welcome to the Let's Buy OBAAT Some Shoes Foundation. Did you know your small contribution of just one roll of ASEs will go a long way in putting shoes on this forum's most needy member? Yes, after administrative expenses of just 97% are deducted, we are totally dedicated to the idea of buying shoes for OBAAT. Not actually buying him any shoes, mind you...just the IDEA of buying him some shoes.

Thank you shinnosuke, it is a little embarrassing to ask, but now that the LBOBAATSS has stepped up, so to speak, I admit I'd be OK with the idea of ASE counting shoes.... I love the LBOBAATSS!!!
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby bigbubbano23 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 am

sit-ups
bigbubbano23

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:03 am

Not much activity reported in this thread lately but for me the preps continue. An example: this past week I downloaded every archive document from the prepper network. Manuals, medical info, survival skills, basic skills like blacksmithing, food info, farming, tanning, etc. Hundreds of them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:00 am

Camaro sets the stage. I preordered and recently received Orlov's new book Communities that Abide. It's about all the qualities communities (that have persisted for hundreds of years) have in common. So, if you want to assure your community is set to survive beyond a generation or two it's good stuff to know.

Also came across the book The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell. Everything needed to restart humanity after collapse. "Crucial knowledge needed to survive in the immediate aftermath and to rebuild civilization as quickly as possible—a guide for rebooting the world". This is one to bring to your community that persists.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:19 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Getting in Shape....

Since becoming a non-smoker (which I should hae listed here.....), I've made the decision to get this old body back into shape... here's the last few days:

13th 2 mile run, 14th X-train (yoga), 15th 2 mile run/weights, 16th rest, 17th X-train (yoga), 18th 2.5 miles, 19th Weights, Stretching, 20th 2.5 miles, 21st X-train (bike), today 2 miles/weights.

Keeping the distance short for now because I'm re-learning how to run..... barefoot. Apparently this is the best way to run injury-free.... I'm putting that theory to the test.

I have been working out every day for a year now. dropped 20lbs of fat and gained 10 pounds lean muscle. I do a lot of stretching to keep flexible too. Also been working with guns quite a bit now that ammo is reasonable. Mostly tactical stuff. In my spare time on weekends im doing backpacking and camping trips.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:31 pm

I could survive for a year out of this thing.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I was thinking about doing a smaller bug out bag and was wondering what items you would suggest putting in it? I think water/food ration/fire would be high priority, but I was wanting to know maybe some good extras to add in. I want this to be a 3 day pack and very lightweight.

Also, I was wondering about smaller firearms for bugout, I was thinking an AR pistol or something of that nature (not sure what the license is like for those things or if you even have to have one.)

would I need any sort of special license for this: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/89933
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Also, I was wondering about smaller firearms for bugout, I was thinking an AR pistol or something of that nature

Ruger 10/22 takedown
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby John_doe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 am

I put 4 quarts of wild blackberries I picked in the freezer. Next project will be toasting homegrown sunflower seeds then vacuum sealing them. I want to get a 5 gallon bucket full of vacuum sealed (no sodium) sunflower seeds. They will keep a very long time and they are extremely good for you, not to mention one of my favorite snack foods. :thumbup:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

Vacuum packed 20 pounds of cornmeal...
68Camaro

Postby silver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:25 pm

I am getting seven cans of food replaced from Augason Farms, with no problem and with no pictures. :thumbup:

ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:06 pm

I have started in on a new project. I have decided that my current pack (while ideal for survival) is too heavy, and I have decided to also make a 72 hour bag for short trips and taking to work etc. I was wondering if any of you have a list of MUST HAVES for a 72 hour bag. It is a 36 Litre Molle pack that is supposed to be waterproofed. I would also like any items that have multiple uses (for example paracord, plastic bags, or cotton balls.).

I have a new one if any of you have not done this in your pack I would suggest it. Get a box of franzia wine and enjoy the contents, after rinse the internal bladder and compress it as small as possible. You now have a comfortable pillow/water reserve/anything else you can dream up. ;) :thumbup:

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/bug-o ... gging-out/ this is pretty much what I have right now, give or take 1-2 items, and I am still going to have some space.

I also leave town during tornado emergencies (especially having lived through the Moore tornado last year), so I will be taking the pack with me for events like this also.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

John_doe wrote:I was thinking about doing a smaller bug out bag and was wondering what items you would suggest putting in it? I think water/food ration/fire would be high priority, but I was wanting to know maybe some good extras to add in. I want this to be a 3 day pack and very lightweight.

Also, I was wondering about smaller firearms for bugout, I was thinking an AR pistol or something of that nature (not sure what the license is like for those things or if you even have to have one.)

would I need any sort of special license for this: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/89933

Not sure of your state, but there are no federal restrictions. Some states restrict the ownership of this though. Unless you put a rifle stock on it then you have an illegal SBR. It's just a pistol as long as you have that pistol tube on it.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I was also looking for some advice on food for a 72 hr bag. I want something very compact with a long shelf live.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 am

Thogey wrote:
Also, I was wondering about smaller firearms for bugout, I was thinking an AR pistol or something of that nature

Ruger 10/22 takedown

Well I picked one up. I figured for the price range, it can hurt to have an extra .22. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbup:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Canned 12 half pints of peach jam and 24 plum jam. Even added some crushed chipotle pepper to a few and didn't mark them, just to make things interesting.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:32 pm

silver wrote:I am getting seven cans of food replaced from Augason Farms, with no problem and with no pictures. :thumbup:

ED

What was the problem with the Augason Farm's cans? Spoiled, damaged or ...?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About