Off the grid solar or wind power generators

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Off the grid solar or wind power generators

Postby mrlaufer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:25 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Engineer wrote:You might want to look into glass mat batteries.

http://www.dcbattery.com/agmtech.html

This little one I got from HF supposely uses that technology, but the battery is just 35Ah and I'm going to want something several times larger at some point. Do you have any specific suggestions from your link above I can focus on?

I've been wondering about this topic a bit myself. Would it be possible rather than making a big purchase of a set of larger batteries, couldn't one purchase these 35AH batteries as they can afford and then wire them in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative)? This would keep the volts at 12, but double your AH. Therefore after you paced yourself and purchased maybe 6-8 batteries, if one would start going bad, you can remove the bad battery and not bring down your whole system. Just my thoughts, am I wrong on this?

(Don't forget to take the used sealed lead acid batteries to the scrapyard, mine pays me about .30/pound)
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 pm

I dunno for sure. I'm trying to get some of my EE friends to help but so many of them these days are digital guys that they barely know more than I do about electrical stuff. Still working on finding a solar guru. The HF battery wasn't all that cheap. But maybe I haven't shopped for batteries lately, I know they're going up. Still pricing stuff, as well.

In search for the true optimum...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:25 am

68Camaro wrote:The HF battery wasn't all that cheap. But maybe I haven't shopped for batteries lately, I know they're going up. Still pricing stuff, as well.

I just priced it on their website, and it was just over my guess of $2/Ah. If you bought them one at a time with 25% off coupons, they'd be about $1.50/Ah. After figuring in shipping on an Alibaba deal, that's pretty close to wholesale.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About