Platinum and Palladium

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Platinum and Palladium

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 01, 2024 12:50 pm

These two metals have been way below for gold for a while, but now platinum is trying to overtake the palladium price.

Are we assembling so many electric cars now that there are significantly fewer catalytic converters (which use palladium) being made?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Platinum and Palladium

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 01, 2024 2:09 pm

Years ago, catalytic converters were made with platinum because it was more efficient chemically. At the time, plat was more expensive than gold, but only slightly.

As demand for platinum increased, manufacturers switched to palladium because it was maybe a quarter of the cost. Over time, palladium became more expensive than platinum.

Not sure what is going on now. Demand for all durable goods is slowing. I also think demand for electric cars has peaked - everybody who wants one has one already. Hertz lost their shirt on EVs and can't give them away. People are broke and can't afford a new car unless they can finance it.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 01, 2024 9:25 pm

Thanks, guys. I think my new purchases will remain centered on Ag. I don’t want the hassle of trying to buy beans and rice with a white metal that is not silver.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 am

shinnosuke wrote:Thanks, guys. I think my new purchases will remain centered on Ag. I don’t want the hassle of trying to buy beans and rice with a white metal that is not silver.

No argument there. I have small amounts of both major PGMs that I intend to keep, and I don't plan on adding to either unless prices drop to stupid levels (which I don't see happening). Even when big price drops have happened in the past there has been very little metal available to buy.

I fully agree that once your basic self reliance needs are met, your focus should be silver then gold.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions