Anyone familiar with this coin?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Anyone familiar with this coin?

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250871773231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I came across this the other day, and I love the looks of it, but have no idea what it is or if that is a decent price for it. Any advice?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Anyone familiar with this coin?

Postby grandpahoardscopper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 am

probably from the province of Manitoba before it became one of the Canadian provinces..i have a few coins from Newfoundland circa 1905...
grandpahoardscopper

Postby grandpahoardscopper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Correction!!!! most definitely a medal or token,,,no denomination shown on coin??? (sorry)
grandpahoardscopper

Postby didou » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:08 pm

This is a Shell (oil company) token. Handed at each tank of gas.
Made in 1967 for the 100th anniversary of the creation of Canada.
Each province has one with the armory of the province and a flower with the date of when that province joined the Canada confederation
There is 2 different set of 14 token, 10 province, 2 territory (at the time it was made Canada has only 2) and 2 general token for the country as a whole.

They are worthless and you can order a box of them if you are willing to pay the shipping. Very very common.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 am

didou wrote:This is a Shell (oil company) token. Handed at each tank of gas.
Made in 1967 for the 100th anniversary of the creation of Canada.
Each province has one with the armory of the province and a flower with the date of when that province joined the Canada confederation
There is 2 different set of 14 token, 10 province, 2 territory (at the time it was made Canada has only 2) and 2 general token for the country as a whole.

They are worthless and you can order a box of them if you are willing to pay the shipping. Very very common.

Awesome. Thanks for that information- that's interesting. I think it looks cool, so that is a set I wouldn't mind picking up, but won't pay too much for it. I will definitely not waste my money on this one. Thanks again!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Nice website on that---http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/shellmedals/floralmedal.htm

Nice :)
But it look like it's missing some of them. I've got very similar token that aren't display there. There is another set and another 'Canada' Token too. Same diameter/height/material but different design.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 am

henrysmedford wrote:Nice website on that---http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/shellmedals/floralmedal.htm

That is a cool site. I would be interested in buying a set or two, just because I like them. He says he won't sell them by mail, but I'm a little too far from Calgary to swing by and pick them up. :) I wonder how much shipping would be?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for all of the information. I was able to pick up an almost complete set (with several doubles and a few triples- a total of 23 nice looking tokens) for around $17 shipped. Not bad when you consider that before I asked about them, I was looking at one junky token for $13. I'm looking forward to checking them out.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics