A baffling mystery. Need some answers.

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

A baffling mystery. Need some answers.

Postby coindood » Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 pm

Was transferring my clothes from the washer to the dryer a few minutes ago and my eye caught a coin on the floor. Not an uncommon occurrence, while I try to be thorough when emptying my pockets, a stray penny sometimes makes it into the washer.

What made this truly bizarre, is that it was a 1976 Canadian nickel. I have no memory of recently handling this nickel. I did find a trio of Canadian coins at a Coinstar this past Tues, but all three were accounted for when I emptied my pockets. There were not four Canadian coins, I am certain of that, since I remember how they were found (all three were at the bottom of a small wastebasket near the Coinstar).

It's remotely possible I received it as normal change but highly doubtful as I inspect each handful I get back before I put it in my pocket, and a Canadian nickel would've stood out...big time.

The laundry room in nowhere near when my coins are kept, so it's impossible that it was dropped and rolled over there. It would have had to travel a good 15 feet and turn a corner. And regardless, I haven't looked at my nickel nickels in a while. I don't even have that many.

So I'm at a loss, and open to suggestions as to how this came into my possession.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: A baffling mystery. Need some answers.

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 19, 2023 3:48 am

Could it have been planted there by someone else who knew it would get this type of reaction from you?

I am VERY FOND OF Canadian.999 nickels of any date and have a bunch of paint cans full of them in storage.

That said I am concerned about things like inflation, crime, running out of money before I die, etc.

If I got so concerned about an item worth a dime or so in U.S. money, my stress level would be through the roof when you consider really significant issues like those I mentioned. Talk to someone whose opinion you respect. It sounds like you are getting too heavily focused on minutiae here. Maybe there is an angle I’m missing, but that’s the way I see it IMHO.

In other words, move on to something else.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Fri May 19, 2023 5:32 am

The only thing I can think of is that there really were 4, and 2 were stuck together when you found them and put them in your pocket.

Those illogical mysteries drive me batty as well!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 am

Wife or kid had it in their pocket
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri May 19, 2023 12:26 pm

The coin gods have shown you favor, and now require a blood sacrifice.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Fri May 19, 2023 4:01 pm

It's mine.
I was wondering where it was!
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Fri May 19, 2023 10:40 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:In other words, move on to something else.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time. It won't happen again.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sat May 20, 2023 2:31 pm

Not a waste of time, I have enjoyed this thread. Sometimes the posting is sparse on Realcent.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 20, 2023 4:17 pm

I agree the posting is definitely sparse at times.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 20, 2023 4:22 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Could it have been planted there by someone else who knew it would get this type of reaction from you?

I am VERY FOND OF Canadian.999 nickels of any date and have a bunch of paint cans full of them in storage.

That said I am concerned about things like inflation, crime, running out of money before I die, etc.

If I got so concerned about an item worth a dime or so in U.S. money, my stress level would be through the roof when you consider really significant issues like those I mentioned. Talk to someone whose opinion you respect. It sounds like you are getting too heavily focused on minutiae here. Maybe there is an angle I’m missing, but that’s the way I see it IMHO.

In other words, move on to something else.

I don’t know what this means, but on the SAME DAY I posted this, my brother called me to tell me our dad died. The very same day! He lived a great (and religious in his own quiet way) life for a lot of years and just started to need an oxygen tank to breathe. So he is out of his misery now.

Recyclersteve

Postby silverflake » Sat May 20, 2023 5:04 pm

Recyclersteve, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Condolences. His suffering is no more.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon May 22, 2023 5:24 pm

silverflake wrote:Recyclersteve, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Condolences. His suffering is no more.

Thx Silverflake.

Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon May 22, 2023 8:46 pm

Sorry for your loss Recyclersteve.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 am

Sorry for your loss.
Finding coins, in certain cultures, indicates a deceased loved one reaching out to the ones left behind. When my father passed both my sister and I noticed a huge increase of finding coins, mainly in the coin return slot of various vending machines and coin counters.
Here is a quote from a website:
The circumstance of finding the coin is important too. To them, a coin on the ground probably just means someone had a hole in their pocket. But a dime or penny showing up in an unexpected place or on a significant date could be your loved one trying to reach you.

Source: https://www.joincake.com/blog/finding-pennies-after-someone-dies/
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed May 24, 2023 10:12 am

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe the coin was stuck somewhere and got freed to your benefit.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Canada Numismatics