BU Canadian cents

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

BU Canadian cents

Postby marine70 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:09 pm

What are BU Canadian cents worth? the rolls are from 62 thru 64 some are in shrink wrap others are in coin tubes.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Re: BU Canadian cents

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:59 am

You might look at the coins in Canada website https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?canadian_coins=1-cent-1953-1964. You could also become a member and post that question with them. They are also quite helpful like this group.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:00 am

marine70 wrote:What are BU Canadian cents worth? the rolls are from 62 thru 64 some are in shrink wrap others are in coin tubes.

62-64 is the most common year for BU's as you can usually find mint sealed bags of them. They are worth copper value or a tiny but more.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:52 am

Another FYI- freight will likely be a pretty significant percentage of the value of the coins if you are trying to ship across the US/Canadian border. You might want to indicate which side you are in just so there aren’t any misunderstandings.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Anyone know the reason why there are so many BU cents of those years available? Did the mint produce a ton when they were not needed, or was it because of some other reason? The situation seems a little odd.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Maybe 10 years ago now I found a bag (craigslist, Connecticut) of sealed '64s. The guy said he was the original purchaser and they came from a gift shop in the Dakotas. North or South he didn't remember.

Point being they must've had a ton of them for whatever reason to be able to buy them in a retail tourist trap.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 pm

1962-1965 were the first big production years, almost doubled than before. See: https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/1-cent-5300004

62-63-64 were the last years of the young queen.

Lots of errors on those years.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:55 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:1962-1965 were the first big production years, almost doubled than before. See: https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/1-cent-5300004

62-63-64 were the last years of the young queen.

Lots of errors on those years.

I have a few bags of those, all red MS condition. After looking through the first handful, I found one with a hanging 4 error.

I'd really like to find some '64's with dots ;)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 am

A number of years ago I helped an elderly lady sell about 200 Canadian mint sets. Pretty sure all were 62-65. Perhaps a few 61’s or 66’s were mixed in.

I’m pretty sure the buyer cut the coins out of the holders and put the coins in with circulated silver, nickel and copper coins. So I don’t see any real extra value to the BU’s, unless you find any errors.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Canada Numismatics