Non-Silver Halves and Quarters

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Non-Silver Halves and Quarters

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Few years back I made a purchase of Canadian Halves and Quarters that were in flips with in plastic sleeves of three ring binders. Need some advice on how to handle the sale /disposition of these. The halves all appear to be uncirculated and in VG/Fine to unc. condition dated from 1968 through 1986.
The quarters are in the same unc. condition and dated 1969 through 1986.
I am considering listing them for sale if they have value above their face value other wise I may just spend them back into circulation.
I am looking for advise and information with how to proceed with these. Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
I have seen a few on E bay and I also wonder how much and what degree of trouble shipping to Canada would be.
I am visiting Canada soon, could I ship these inside Canada easier once I cross the border?
Thanks for any help you can offer
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Non-Silver Halves and Quarters

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Your best bet would probibly be feebay because I think if there is a market for them it would be a small market.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 am

Is the date set complete for both halves and quarters? You need to look into the 1973 quarter and 1982 half. There are multiple varieties for those years, and there is one which is rather more valuable than face value.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

When the USD and CDN exchange rates were wildly tipped in favor of the American buck, I used to purchase large quantities of CDN loose coins from a network of coin dealers. They'd take these in as part of collection buying and just let them pile up not quite knowing what to do with them. The dealers (at the time) were paying US $0.40 per dollar face and would sell them to me at US $0.50. I accumulated large quantities of the coins and made trips to Canada (Ontario) at least twice each year to cash them in.

Never had a problem turning them into a bank. Tellers were friendly and no hassle about being from the US. I learned right away that they wanted all of the coin rolled, so I was glad to accommodate. Only had a problem once at the border crossing into Canada as the customs people were freaked out by a trunkful of bank bags and rolled coins. I think I had over $1300 at that time. (You're allowed to bring across $10k without declaring it.) After 20 minutes or so I was released and went happily on my way.

When I didn't need the money, I took the value of the coins in CDN paper money and kept it in my safe. Still have a couple thousand CDN dollars in currency. Talk about a great investment, each $5, $10, etc., that I essentially paid half price for is now actually worth more than its USD counterpart.

As I'd acquire these treasure troves of coins, I was able to still find collectible ones, including some silver in spite of the dealers supposedly having gone through them carefully. That added to the excitement of the whole thing.

My suggestion is to take them to Canada and repatriate them. Empty coin rolls in various denominations can be purchased on line at a reasonable cost. I say go for it...or offer to me at a reasonable rate of exchange. LOL. I know my way there and what to do.

Included in the coins that I'd bring back were often a stack of old $1 and $2 notes. I kept most of the UNC ones for my collection, but the older ones were a hoot to spend there. Really helped me to add to my pure Cu and Ni stocks as easy pickings were the norm in the huge bags of loose change I'd buy.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics