I got Canadian Nickels at auction for cheap

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

I got Canadian Nickels at auction for cheap

Postby MUTiger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 pm

We have an online auction company in town and they have had a couple auctions with coins on them recently. I look for the value and metal. I am not much into numismatics because typically I cannot afford them. I think I got a good deal on these buys.

https://bid.atterberryauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/20199/lot/2876864
https://bid.atterberryauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/20199/lot/2876912
https://bid.atterberryauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/20199/lot/2876913
https://bid.atterberryauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/20199/lot/2876964

There is a 10% buyer's premium that is added to the sale price. I went to the live preview and saw the lot labeled 2009-D Lincoln Log Cabin roll of pennies had a bunch of nickels. To be exact, there were 10 rolls of nickels so I got the lot for $13.00 + $1.30. Score, right. Upon searching, 5 of the rolls are 1967 Canadian and at least 4 are BU. The partial roll of pennies included 17 - 1919 Lincoln cents. On two of the other lots I got $10.00 of 1967 BU Canadian nickels for $5.50. I was just buying metal. Anybody have an idea what these are worth?

Canadian Nickels.jpg
Canadian Nickels 1967 BU
Canadian Nickels.jpg (488.36 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

Canadian Nickels Rabbit End.jpg
Canadian Nickels Rabbit End
Canadian Nickels Rabbit End.jpg (428.17 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

The first lot has 56 nickels in flips that I have not looked at carefully but they are from the 40's, 50's and 60's from the description.

I got a couple other items like the 1979 South Africa Proof set because one of the coins has a small amount of silver.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Re: I got Canadian Nickels at auction for cheap

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:55 pm

I'll start by giving you some info and perhaps others can chime in so you have several posts that you can piece together.

The Canadian nickels were made of .999 nickel through 1981. Since one pound of nickel is currently worth $5.81/lb. (per KitcoMetals.com) and since a pound contains 100 nickels (assuming no wear), that makes Canadian nickels worth 5.81 cents each just in terms of the nickel value itself.

The rabbit nickels from 1967 are worth a little more to some collectors and so are Uncirculated nickels. A couple of issues exist, however. There just aren't that many collectors who will buy these. Another point is that shipping items to Canada can be VERY, VERY expensive. So much so that the postage costs such a big percentage of the value of the coins that the buyer will try to buy in Canada instead. I've seen many eBay sellers who refuse to ship to Canada as a result of the shipping costs.

I was a little confused by your posting. If you were referring to 2009 U.S. nickels, some people pay small premiums for these, perhaps even in circulated condition.

I know of someone who pays 7 cents each for circulated problem-free pre-1960 Jefferson nickels. But he deals in larger quantities and by the time you paid for freight to ship them to him, you might be better off spending them.

Good luck to you.

You might consider trying to sell them on the RealCent site.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MUTiger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm

I was a little confused by your posting. If you were referring to 2009 U.S. nickels, some people pay small premiums for these, perhaps even in circulated condition.

If you look at the third auction link you will see what was confusing. The lot was labeled 2009-D Lincoln log cabin roll of pennies. The lot contained one mint fresh, mint wrapped, 2009-D Lincoln log cabin roll of pennies. It also included 10 rolls of nickels and another one third roll of pennies. This partial roll (17) of pennies was all from 1919. There was also a stray 1945-D wheat penny in the bag. My point is that the Auction company did a dis-service to the seller with the labeling. There was $20 worth of nickels alone that I got for $13.00 + $1.30 (premium). The other 5 rolls of nickels are 2005-P Jefferson nickels that are BU.

I know the Canadian nickels from this era are 0.999 nickel and that is why I bid on them in the first place.

Thanks for the advice and you bring up a valid point about the expense of shipping to Canada. I did not consider that. I knew they weighed 4.54 grams but did not put that together with one pound is 100 nickels (454 grams). Interesting.

Thanks,
MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:04 pm

An interesting note is that BU coins from that era (pre 1982) have been issued to banks in bags. For nickels that are pre-1968 and still in bank rolls, those have a tendency of being PL coins that have been broken from their Mint sets so that the silver contained in the other coins could be sold for close to melt.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:42 am

I looked through this lot and noticed that I have a few 1947 maple leafs and one 1947 dot.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:49 pm

mutiger wrote:I looked through this lot and noticed that I have a few 1947 maple leafs and one 1947 dot.

MUTiger

Nice! That is at least 25$ coin.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Canada Numismatics