Any CRH'er Canadians coming to Maine this summer? (long)

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Any CRH'er Canadians coming to Maine this summer? (long)

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 pm

I have a few ideas here to bounce off any Canadians coming down to Portland,Maine this summer. I was unlucky at having a friend exchange loonies and toonies when they were up in Montreal the other week for nickels. So, as you all might know, the exchange rate for Canadian currency and US currency is about 1.25 loonies per a US dollar. I am searching for Canadian nickels, the 0.999 Ni variety pretty much, and I think your banks in Canada still have some in circulation in their nickel boxes. I can offer an even exchange of one US dollar for every Canadian dollar's worth of nickels brought down to the Portland area. It would have to be a minimum at least $100 of nickels to trade and I would want them to be the sealed boxes from banks and of mixed dates and not all new single year nickels. You get a boost to your exchange rate of about 25%, at least, if you are planning on spending money at stores, etc. while visiting. The other part of this post is that I want to exchange the loonies and toonies I have for nickels also. Now, this would also be a 1:1 ratio of exchange and not any advantage to a Canadian coming down here but a favor to me. For that, I leave up to anyone who replies if they would be willing to exchange at least $50 of dollar coins for nickels in addition to the box(es) of nickels exchanged 1:1 with US dollars. I could do up to $1000 at a time in trade of US dollars for nickels and would meet the trading party at a TD bank branch for the cash transaction to assure integrity of the money dispensed.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Any CRH'er Canadians coming to Maine this summer? (lon

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Just an FYI- I'm not in your area, but wonder what the limitations are on bringing Canadian nickels across the border. Also, if you are trying to get .999 nickel composition nickels, I think I saw on a different post on this site that only about 3% of nickels from circulation are nickel. So I'm not sure if this deal is worth it to you.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Canada Numismatics