$1000 bills - 2 different series - bought for face

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

$1000 bills - 2 different series - bought for face

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Mentioned collecting coins and these were offered to me at a bank. I had to come back the next day to pick them up because they had them stored away. They have been folded but are in good condition. I'm not a bill grader. The 1954 has two neatly written 10's (counting marks I believe).

The last $1000 bills were withdrawn in 2000 I understand, as part of an effort to reduce the use of currency in crime. I've never held a $1000 Canadian bill before.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=56

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=56

Hopefully the photos work. Should show front and back. Post if you can see them.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: $1000 bills - 2 different series - bought for face

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 pm

I cqn see them. Interesting, thanks!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:35 pm

The newer one (Birds of Canada series) is EF-VF and worth face or maybe a touch more. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknotes ... d_denom=14
The 1954 is a Lawson-Bouey which I believe grades EF (if I'm understanding the scale correctly) and worth maybe $1075-$1150 according to this page. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknotes ... d_denom=14
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Saabman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:12 am

Nice!!! Way too cool!!! Thanks for posting them!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55 am

I sold a bird one last year in that shape for $1500 but it was a replacement note. I can't see your serial numbers.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Not star notes - which are more collectible for some reason
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Chief » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Pretty cool that you can have 1000 CAD for basically 1000 USD. I really like high-denomination bills. US $500's and $1000's are bills that I'd like to own, but probably never will. :(

ETA: But, $500 or $1000 worth on paper isn't anything compared to 25 or 50 toz. of silver. Conflicted, I am.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Well, here we are about 17 months from your initial purchase. At least the falling value of the dollar has made your CDN $ "investment" worth more than it was in US bucks at the time.

I remember the "old" days when the US buck netted about $1.50 CDN. I used to go North of the Michigan/Ontario border to do all my Christmas and back-to-school shopping. Also at that time, we were able to receive at rebate for all Provincial sales tax expense. What a great time to need stuff.

Those bills are exceptionally cool, though.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics